Might be getting extra hours at work! Awesome!

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
XJalltheway
Here and there

Might be getting extra hours at work! Awesome!

Unread post by XJalltheway » August 2nd, 2015, 10:09 am

Earlier this year I got my first job (I'm 15) at Hartleys Hunting And Tackleworld here in Bendigo, working Saturdays. I was told that when summer comes around, if I keep doing a good job, the boss Linsday might put me on for extra hours. That would be great, I've been wanting to work more nearly since I started (means more petrol and stuff for the Jeep hahaha). What did you guys do for a first job many moons ago?

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Might be getting extra hours at work! Awesome!

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 2nd, 2015, 10:15 am

My very first paid job was a news paper run. 6 days a week. I must have been about 14.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » August 2nd, 2015, 1:27 pm

First paid job was at 7yo as an "actor" in kids pantomines :)

First 'real' job was as dog walker and semi professional dog behavior remedial trainer at 12 y.o.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » August 2nd, 2015, 4:58 pm

Always got to help out dad, but that was never really a job, just something you were expected to help out with.

Had a job putting inserts into a local paper while I was at Uni. Included one night shift and it would take all week to get your body clock back (and you'd then have your next night shift).

Good on you for landing such an interesting job at your age. I know a few people who have started out in that sort of a job and ended up guiding and stuff.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 2nd, 2015, 5:56 pm

Pumping petrol - back in the days of 'full driveway service'!.

Super was 78c a gallon (4.54 liters). 1975 - so 40 years ago!.

Wash the windscreen, fill the tank, check the tire pressures, check oil, water, and battery!

Clean & fill any oil bottles on the driveway...

Put the amounts for fuel into customers account books (yep, you used to book up your fuel on a monthly account back in the day).

Paint tires black on any vehicles in for service on the hoist... :thumb:

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » August 2nd, 2015, 6:24 pm

Picking grapes, we got paid by the bucket, you'd leave a ticket on the grapes & it would all tally up at the end of the day.

People would pocket your tickets & put their own there instead, grrr.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » August 2nd, 2015, 8:39 pm

Maca's kitchen hand in the first Maca's on the Central Coast NSW. A woppin $2.20 an hour……

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » August 2nd, 2015, 10:04 pm

Picking Spuds ( off the ground ) @ 1.50 a bag, Carting hay bales @ $50 per 500 bales ( 1973-74 )

You could make 80-100 bucks on a good day. Top money for its time and far easier than shearing sheep

But I also had to milk the bl**dy cows twice a day as normal work :lol:

I would have killed to have got a gig in the local hunting & fishing shop
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » August 2nd, 2015, 10:16 pm

My brother and I used to harass the neighbourhood looking for odd jobs mnost weekends, we were maybe 10. About 12 I delivered soft drinks for the local home delivery service once a week. Then Safeway was my fist tax paying job after school, 15.

Hunting shop would be a bad idea, Id likely owe the boss 6 yrs service.
chris_stoffa wrote:I would have killed to have got a gig in the local hunting & fishing shop
You lacked initiative. First create the opening, and offer that as a clear demonstration of skill, determination and commitment.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » August 2nd, 2015, 10:24 pm

^^^^

I found I could make more money other ways than working in the gun shop, all those spuds and hay bales funded my shooting addiction until I got full time employment. Besides Milking cows gets in the way of way too much :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 3rd, 2015, 9:44 am

Bob a job for the Scouts - when I was around 10 or so.

And on Holidays, about 5.30am, I'd ride my bike up to the Swanway Drive in in Midland with a hessian sack over my handle bars, and jump the waist high wire fence between the De La Salle Boys college, and the drive-in, and run up and down every row of speakers - collecting the cool drink bottles people left on the speaker stands on Friday Nights & Sat Nights.

Had to be early, coz the bottles were the gardeners 'beer money' and if you weren't already gone when he peddled up at ~6 a.m. He'd chase after you on his old treadly bike with the rams horn handle bars, swearing and cursing! :lol: :lol:

Get home and wash em all clean with the hose on the front lawn & then count & bag em all up again and take them up the corner deli (Stickka's) and cash them in....for 2p a bottle (prior to 1966 when we went decimal).

Then off up the town and buy lacky bands (for making shanghai's) and pocket knives to sharpen the bamboo to make arrows to hunt ducks down Blackadder creek.

We never had "I pods" we had early starts, bikes & imagination...
Those were "the good ol days!".
It was prior to 1969, when Grandpa reliably informed me, that the moon was made of green cheese!.
At the time - no one could prove him wrong! :lol:
Life was somehow a LOT simpler back then! I would suggest that it was somehow more satisfying too.

We - played "Cowboys and Indians", instead of "cowboys and cowboys", (brokeback mountain)! :rolleyes:
We also jumped off the roof wearing a Tea Towel as a superman cape!. :redface:

XJalltheway
Here and there

Unread post by XJalltheway » August 3rd, 2015, 4:42 pm

Some interesting jobs there fellas. I consider myself pretty lucky to have a job, as most of my mates don't. Or maybe they just want to scrounge money off their parents and not work :rolleyes: .

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » August 3rd, 2015, 6:26 pm

What ever it is mate, but you are doing the right thing to yourself and to others. We need a heck of a lot more blokes like you! You get my respect mate!!

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » August 3rd, 2015, 7:49 pm

XJalltheway wrote:Some interesting jobs there fellas. I consider myself pretty lucky to have a job, as most of my mates don't. Or maybe they just want to scrounge money off their parents and not work :rolleyes: .

Plus one from me too mate. Sounds like your mates may have this medical condition.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » August 5th, 2015, 12:25 am

Living in a mining camp back in 1973, 150 miners at the barracks, At $5 a car wash after school so as the boys could take a nice clean car to town, kept me in good pocket money + I got crates and crates full of empty soft drink bottles to return @ .10c a bottle too.
First real job out of high school at age 16, Had to ride a pushy about 7 k's to work at a boat builders, 52 ft fibreglass catermaran trawler / 40' sport cruiser fishing charter boat / sail boats / speedboats etc .... wages were $64.10 for a 44 hr week
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”