Diesel mechanic wages

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: Diesel mechanic wages

Unread post by Shann Low » July 30th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Yeah, and when you come out of uni you wil have all those hex loans payments and still no job coz you have no experience.
By time you have a degree you will need 2 and still won't have any experience. So you'll go for a doctorate... become a professor and teach other kids how to do something you've still never actually done yourself!. :lol:

Those who can - do!. Those who can't - teach! ;)

You can't expect to start at the top... Life's journey starts with taking the first step, after that its just a matter of keep putting one foot after the other.

Sometimes the journeys more direct if you have some idea where you want to go, and a career path planned out how to get there.

Probably the biggest future opportunity's will be in 3D printing!.

And in 5 years new technology's will probably have supplanted that!

With that said in 3 months or so we will probably be in WW3 in the middle east and you'll get drafted to drive a supply line truck... in some God forsaken camel flea infested sand pit in the middle east as cannon fodder - a lowly paid mercenary of some wealthy Texas Oil oligarch!.

Remaining 'flexible' is probably a good option right now - like flexible enough to flee to NZ and avoid conscription / the draft... ;)

taspatrol
Been here a while

Unread post by taspatrol » July 30th, 2015, 1:53 pm

i am refrigeration mechanic and the pay rates in tassie differ from $25/h to $36/h when i came back to tassie i was on $28 and now i have busted my *** i am up close to the top of the range. in a few years i will probably go out on my own and might have the opportunity to earn a lot more than that. It is hard work and rubbish pay to start with but its a choice you need to make

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 30th, 2015, 2:09 pm

What sort of arts course do you want to do at uni?
:lol: Spat Coffee out my nose! :lol: :thumb:

Asko96
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Asko96 » July 30th, 2015, 5:10 pm

stockhorse wrote:Asko96, after reading this statement,
"I know money isn't everything, but it's hard dirty work, and for what I know realize is sweet fa." I have a question.

What did you think it was if not, hard dirty work ?
As soon as possible,tell your boss you want to cancel your apprenticeship. Leave your spot open for somebody who knows what the job is and wants to do it.
What sort of arts course do you want to do at uni?
Haha, nice try. I was doing mechanical engineering at the start of the year, and decided to take a gap year to find out what I really wanted to do career wise.

Atleast I've ticked another thing off the list of options.

Also, I did expect it to be hard and dirty work. I fully expected that. I just didn't expect it to be for such little money.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 30th, 2015, 8:49 pm

You do realise the median starting salary (Salary means no paid overtime etc) is $29 per hour for males and $31 per hour for females. That is for qualified Mechanical Engineers.

Asko96

Unread post by Asko96 » July 31st, 2015, 10:30 pm

That's not my point, I'm not shitting on being a diesel mechanic because of pay. If you enjoy it pay shouldn't be a factor.

Just sort of reconsidering my choice of career, as I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. The pay is just the stepping stone.

mudjunkie
Avid Poster

Unread post by mudjunkie » August 6th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Good on ya mate... Stick with it...

JohnF_LN106
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by JohnF_LN106 » August 25th, 2015, 8:36 am

Between you, me and the fence post, your employment prospects post-graduation would most likely be a lot better with a trade qualification than a university degree. But best of luck in whatever endeavour you take on. Just make sure you stay committed to it, whichever it is.
Cheers,
John
1991 HDJ80 GXL: 3" lift, 33" MT ATZ P3s, all the fruit.

adamqld

Unread post by adamqld » September 8th, 2015, 7:25 pm

depends where you live, its a pretty average paid trade. i'm a diesel fitter on earth moving gear in the mines and our pay goes up and down with the supply and demand. there will always be a job for fitters/ mechanics as long as people need dirt moved and trucks run.

i basically do it because im in mining.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”