Diesel mechanic wages

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Asko96
Getting to know the place

Diesel mechanic wages

Unread post by Asko96 » July 28th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Hey guys. I've recently scored myself an apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic at a joint in melbourne.
I've had a chat to the bloke I'm working with, and got onto the subject of pay. The bloke says he's on $26 an hour, which I instantly thought was a joke.

Are Diesel mechanic wages really that bad? Was told they were supposed to be on big $$, not that I only got an apprenticeship for the money, but it seems a bit pissy to do 4 years of an apprenticeship to earn less than some bloke working at aldi/coles.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Re: Diesel mechanic wages

Unread post by the-viking » July 28th, 2015, 9:48 pm

He's on the money.

Check link below.

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job ... ourly_Rate

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 28th, 2015, 11:27 pm

Big money once qualified. Apprentices always get the raspy end, always has been less then a trolley boys pay. But better future, better pay in the end. EDIT: Going by the link above, $26 is more than checkout operator or store clerks get, both around $18/hr on average. No idea what specifically Coles/Aldi actually pay though. Seems apprentice wages arent too bad now. It used to be stuff all ($6-8/hr) compared to what every one else got (maybe $13/hr), until you were qualified.

Qualified diesel mechs get money to attract them to life in the mines, so non mining involved businesses have to step up the pay to keep them from going.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 29th, 2015, 8:47 am

Gary_M the chart is for qualified tradesmen not apprentices. $26 dollars is the mean average and according to the link above 50% of qualified diesel mechanics earn more than that and 50% earn less.It is very dependent on location and skill level.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 29th, 2015, 11:41 am

It is too, cheers for that. Not sure if 153 sample size is Australian either, its a US site. Teach me to take a viking at face value. :lol:

Apprentice DM
http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job ... ourly_Rate ... :o

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 29th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Yes the diesel mechanic only gets his $26 odd per hour but the company will invoice him out at $75+ per hour to the customer.

In addition they will charge the book hours of say 1.5 hours per side to swap out CV joints..., when with parts pre assembled from the supplier, and air ratchets, vehicle hoists etc the mechanic will do the whole job in an hour and that's with tea & toilet breaks.. included!

So in essence you the customer get gouged!.

I recall when someone I know was wheel aligning... he made around $700 a week take home pay... BUT in that 5 & 1/2 day week (45 hours), he was knocking out 30 wheel alignments a day! So 165 alignments a week (one every 16 minutes & that included the test lap around the block afterwards).

Boss was invoicing them out at $45/alignment ($7425 a week).
Less the $700 clear the employee earned! :rolleyes:
A LOT of the profits in tires isn't in the actual tires sales... ;)

BUT - you can make more than diesel mechanic wages just driving a truck ($28/hour).
If your driving trucks and machinery in the mines, then double that!

All depends what you want to do in life.

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » July 29th, 2015, 1:55 pm

Gary_M wrote:It is too, cheers for that. Not sure if 153 sample size is Australian either, its a US site. Teach me to take a viking at face value. :lol:

Apprentice DM
http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job ... ourly_Rate ... :o
Ha ha wish I knew Viking lingo.... Lol. My link is in fact Ozy. From the employment agency 'Seek'.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 29th, 2015, 2:00 pm

"Boss was invoicing them out at $45/alignment ($7425 a week).
Less the $700 clear the employee earned! :rolleyes:"

Shann Low, You forgot to factor in the loan and interest repayments on the $30k alignment machine the overheads of rent, superanuation, public liability insurance etc etc etc, Holiday and sick pay etc.

As a side note I do not think anybody can do a proper check and alignment in 15 minutes.
If it was that easy the person you know should of,could of, opened their own business.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 29th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Interestingly the figures in that link have changed overnight. the upper end of the scale yesterday was $98.5k and today it is S56.7k

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 29th, 2015, 3:14 pm

The guy did move on...Stock horse... (But I can't say where publicly on this forum - you can PM me if you wish for details).
I also didn't factor in the bosses zillion dollar water front holiday house on the Mandurah canals and 40 ft game boat etc....
He's a 2nd generation tire industry 'mogul' and he didn't get there by goin' broke! :lol:

I've watched the guy align wheels... (OK he's a relative) & it takes a good bloke to punch them out like that, but it can be done..

That's assuming you don't get the odd 'tough customer car' like an F 250 that won't fit on the hoist or alignment machine.

Normal run of the mill - thats what he pushed out every day for some years... but he was fit and 40, and as he said to me at the time - "I don't want to be trying to do this when I am 60+" for beer money of $700 a week!

He went on to manage that tire co for the boss and then moved on up into the wholesale & imports side of the industry and makes a good screw these days - with free promotional trips to the USA to knock around with industry owners at Bonneville salt flats and hang out at Chip Foose factory etc, & ride Harleys down route 66 with the company owner.

It's a reason I don't make any public comments on here at all about tires brands etc.... don't want anyone suggesting "vested interest" etc.
I'm not involved in his business, just a pr!ck relation, but I do hear a LOT of what goes on in 'inside" the industry coz it's all he talks about at family gatherings.

Monday I spent all day stripping out cleaning and replacing interior of his company Ford Ranger, after he 'flooded it' in a water hole on a "dealers day out" trip up the power lines track!.

Everything console, seats, carpets, underlay, the engine management computer on the floor under the passenger seat, all interior trim...

It had water up to the seats inside and thew a lot of engine codes, coz it took water into the engine thru the intake due to no snorkel...

Had to remove the floor grommets wash it all out clean, dry it - unplug every electrical connector below seat height, blow them all out with compressed air, contact cleaner and wd40 to dispel any water including the seat belt electricals and the seat air bag electrical harness couplings, all the dash fuse box electrical harness couplings, console 4wd electrical harness couplings, and then disassemble the engine management computer and wash the mud out of the motherboard, blow it dry and WD 40 it, wash all the underlay and carpets and dry all those...

Had to remove the injectors to crank the water out of the cylinders... put them all back.. change out the air cleaner coz that was soaked - blow out all the inter-cooler plumbing - check all oils fluids and sump oils.

Run engine scans to check and clear all fault codes.
And dry - re assemble the entire interior...
Looks like a new truck now - but it was a sad sight Monday morning before we started.

It was a long day... but that's what happens when your first man into the water and it stops there. :lol:

I might have been tempted to walk it first or poke the puddle with a big stick for depth... it was half way up the doors when it stopped... :rolleyes:

As usual someone got pics and they ended up on the internet... :lol:
But it wasn't the only vehicle that got stumped on the day there were a couple more!.
It's what the dealers do - to test out the products they recommend and sell to their customers & the importers and wholesalers organize these trips for that purpose!.

My point was that - the wages for diesel mechanics aren't that high, and truck drivers earn more- the fact we pay $75/hour for mechanical work on the invoice doesn't mean the employee earns that! The business owner can and does make a LOT of money out of good employees... that's why they hire them.. but your right the employers also get all the costs of super and payroll tax and holidays sick pay etc, still at $7K a week profits out of one guy they can afford it!. ;)

There's a disparity between what were old union awards and the transport industry were always higher paid than many others (I ran govt payrolls for about 18 years so paid a lot of different trades including my own mechanical workshop staff).

Transport workers union (TWU) were historically one of the more militant unions who could bring the nation to a halt by stopping the wharves and the entire nations freight industry so they garnered great wage conditions during the union excesses of the 70's, and their pay scales are disparate to many other trades these days and have remained that way - the mining industry boom of the last decade or more - has just exacerbated it.

The big $$ are in transport... miners employing truck drivers are making ~ $240K a year, while private industry trucking are paying ~$28 an hour but working long hours (up to the fatigue hours) a annual salary around $120K is about the best you can do if you don't mind long hours and living in the sleeper cab of your truck.

But to get the experience and machine op tickets -you have to work private trucking to get the mining trucking jobs.

My eldest lad works for private trucking, with road train and dangerous good licenses, tickets and FEL loader, dozer ops, pilot trips etc - he only does this to get the quals and experience to get into the mines for the big $ - since he lives in a mining town, - everyone local wants those few big paying jobs... but you have to get the experience to beat out everyone else when it comes to application / resume time.

Its all about what track you take to get to a living wage, where you can afford a wife, kids, mortgage, and new car payments.

Diesel mechanic wages is a start - we all have to start somewhere... its where you end up that matters and for that you need "a career plan".

Had a good mate spent his life in Mt Newman as a diesel mechanic for the iron ore mob up there 25 odd years plus...

He ended up as maintenance programmer/supervisor, so organizing/programming all scheduled servicing maintenance for all mine equipment & all the mechanics rosters etc!.

Then he transferred down to Augusta when BHP started up the planned mineral sands mine there, he was offered the same job, & moved & bought / built a flash house near the beach etc & the Jangardup BHP mine went bust before it even got started so out of a job.

You do have to be flexible these days things change pretty fast. Careers aren't for lifetimes, like they were back in my day.

These days most will change jobs every 5 years on average. Some even more than that.

The background that a trade skill like diesel mechanics can provide is a very solid background to progress on to other things!

With the tyranny of distance in Oz and our ever diminishing rail infrastructure and increasing reliance on road transport the transport industry while cut throat, seems to be something we will be highly reliant on for a good while - specially for bulk commodities.

Where that MIGHT change a little is the advent of 3D print technology - a LOT of manufacturing might actually be in peoples back sheds..... so "general freight" (goods from warehouses to door) will probably die...

But bulk haulage... of commodities - I can't see that altering anytime soon.

OMMV.. I've been wrong before today, this probably won't be the last time.

mudjunkie
Avid Poster

Unread post by mudjunkie » July 29th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Wow. I did try to read all of that.. Honest... :o

JohnF_LN106
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by JohnF_LN106 » July 29th, 2015, 5:35 pm

My first job offer after I qualified as an aircraft maintenance engineer (like a diesel mechanic, only on aircraft) was $907/week BEFORE tax, or roughly $23/hour. And this wasn't some tin shed operator out in the sticks, it was one of the major airlines in Australia!To work rotating rosters of days and afternoon shifts, sometimes night shifts, up to 12 hour shifts, on machines that, if things go wrong, can wind up with deaths in the hundreds...
So yes, there are many occupations where you won't get paid what you probably should. That's why there has to be a bit of "for the love of it" in there too. If not, move on and drive trucks!
Cheers,
John
1991 HDJ80 GXL: 3" lift, 33" MT ATZ P3s, all the fruit.

Asko96
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Asko96 » July 30th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Yeah, think I might head back down the path of uni.
It's either 4 years of busting my ass earning < minimum wage, paying rent/travel or living at home paying nothing being a broke uni student, lol.

Cheers for the replies, may need to reconsider career choices. I know money isn't everything, but it's hard dirty work, and for what I know realize is sweet fa.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 30th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Yeah, and when you come out of uni you wil have all those hex loans payments and still no job coz you have no experience.
By time you have a degree you will need 2 and still won't have any experience. So you'll go for a doctorate... become a professor and teach other kids how to do something you've still never actually done yourself!. :lol:

Those who can - do!. Those who can't - teach! ;)

You can't expect to start at the top... Life's journey starts with taking the first step, after that its just a matter of keep putting one foot after the other.

Sometimes the journeys more direct if you have some idea where you want to go, and a career path planned out how to get there.

Probably the biggest future opportunity's will be in 3D printing!.

And in 5 years new technology's will probably have supplanted that!

With that said in 3 months or so we will probably be in WW3 in the middle east and you'll get drafted to drive a supply line truck... in some God forsaken camel flea infested sand pit in the middle east as cannon fodder - a lowly paid mercenary of some wealthy Texas Oil oligarch!.

Remaining 'flexible' is probably a good option right now - like flexible enough to flee to NZ and avoid conscription / the draft... ;)

taspatrol
Been here a while

Unread post by taspatrol » July 30th, 2015, 1:53 pm

i am refrigeration mechanic and the pay rates in tassie differ from $25/h to $36/h when i came back to tassie i was on $28 and now i have busted my *** i am up close to the top of the range. in a few years i will probably go out on my own and might have the opportunity to earn a lot more than that. It is hard work and rubbish pay to start with but its a choice you need to make

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”