More gun bans?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Leslie
Been here a while

More gun bans?

Unread post by Leslie » July 28th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Any shooters on here?

While there is a bit of a kerfuffle over the Adler lever action shotguns in the media, do you know about what is secretly happening by the government with a review of the National Firearms Agreement?

It looks like all lever rifles, lever shotguns, pump rifles , straight pull rifles,long range rifles, etc, could be on the chopping block or be re classified into cat c or d. There is probably much more we don't know about as the government is keeping it all secret.

You will need to get involved and join the Shooters and Fishers party if you want to keep them.

One good website to find out what is going on is the Australian Hunting Net website.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Re: More gun bans?

Unread post by Gary_M » July 28th, 2015, 6:41 pm

I was always waiting for them to get onto levers, idiots.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » July 28th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Join the SSAA
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » July 28th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Don't whine to the choir.

Write a letter you your MP, not an email, but an actual on paper, snail mail letter and sign it.

1 page, concise and containing facts, not opinions and emotions. Take 1/2 an hour or find one of the pre-written form letters doing the rounds, edit it a bit to make it more personal and post it in.

They work on the approximation that 1 paper letter represents the opinion of around 10000 voters that couldn't be bothered putting pen to paper.

Why do you think the hand wringers and No vote has such a voice? They have semiprofessional writers on the case all day, while normal people have jobs and try and make a living.

You have a computer? You have a printer (or can email it to work and use theirs)? Put it in writing and let the decision makers know your opinion, if you don't then you can't complain when they do what the the other side wants.

Decisions Are Made by Those Who Show Up, so put your hand up and be counted.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » July 28th, 2015, 11:38 pm

Yes, join the SSAA, VFGA, ADA or some other group. I think this might be a delayed reaction to the pasting the Green's got with their recent guns inquiry which was a bit of an own goal, with letters and submissions by associations and individuals anticipating a lot of the baseless BS being peddled. So putting forward both sides of the story is incredibly important.

There is also a raft more National Park declarations being sought in Vic covering areas currently open to hunting.

I'll tack this thread onto the hunting and shooting thread in a day or two.

Fenring
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Fenring » July 29th, 2015, 8:34 am

Join SFP.

Write or email MP's.

Vote SFP.

Leslie
Been here a while

Unread post by Leslie » August 20th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Below is a video of the Attorney General George Brandis stating yesterday that the government considers lever actions to be a 'serious problem'. He said this in response to questions from senator Ricky Muir [Motoring Party].

Don't think for a moment this is only about lever actions, it is a complete re writing of the NFA.

Get writing to your politicians if you want to keep your guns + join the Shooters and Fishers Party. :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8AV4apn704

Wombat1965
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Wombat1965 » August 23rd, 2015, 9:49 pm

Lever actions are "A serious problem"...???? :purplex:

I would lay money that when criminals are looking for a weapon of choice, the last thing they look for is a near century and a half old design cowboy gun. :rolleyes:

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » August 23rd, 2015, 10:36 pm

They banned semi auto due to the massacre in Port Arthur. Im unaware of a local massacre in recent times using a lever action...

This isnt in response to a need (not that it ever made sense), its just a tightening of the screws by a bunch of people scared of their own shadow.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 24th, 2015, 5:56 am

Hardware's fresh outta 6 inch sewer pipe and rubber O ring sealed inspection lids again! :rolleyes: :lol:

Gonna a be a LOT of "stolen lever action' reports to plods in the next few weeks I'd wager... and a LOT of post holes dug in back yards in the middle of the night!

Just don't hit a gas or water main is my advice!

Mate a mine once dug up his own lemon tree in the dark one night, burying the neighbors cat he'd just shot!. :lol:

Went to bed all well pleased with himself, only to wake up in the wee hours to his missus berating him, coz some mongrel dug up their new lemon tree in the front lawn in the middle of the night! :D

Fenring
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Fenring » August 24th, 2015, 8:39 am

There are submissions called for re. the NFA review.

NationalFirearmsAgreement.Submissions@ag.gov.au

Those that value their sport should at least submit something!

In essence, I'd suggest something along these lines,

The most obvious would be points such as:

- not creating more regulation for lafo's because of clear criminal activity.

- not continuing to move goalposts created post '96, goalposts adhered to by lafo's as they've been required to but yes, ignored as usual by lawbreakers.

- not singling out popular and legal firearm types under a "rapid fire" hysteria, namely lever actions. The apparent lack of these being used by criminals (who use whatever they can buy on the black market or steal)

- the alleged need to "keep pace" with the firearms industry and new developments, of which there have essentially been NONE. We are still using what we had immediately post '96. Bolt actions, some pumps and levers. And many handguns went post 2000.

- despite us complying, the almost daily use of guns by the criminal element, and what's being done about that.

- the apparent continued failure of the judiciary to protect the public from violent repeat offenders.

- add to that whatever you think.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 24th, 2015, 10:20 am

I applaud what you just wrote Fenring. :thumb:

Sadly I have some serious misgivings, about the very people we would write too tho.

Having done this before today (organize national email campaigns against this or that) my experience has been that those who called for comments had no intention of ever taking any notice of them.

What they do is outright lie, and corrupt the process, - use emails sent on good faith against a proposal, as "support for the proposal"... and similar tricks.

Then after they do what they set out to do before calling for public comments - they CLAIM, "but we consulted widely, you had your chance to comment and you did and it was considered (when it clearly wasn't) and you lost, so sod off!.

Anyone's watched the old UK comedy series (that were only funny coz they were too close to the truth) called Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister, KNOWS that these things are done deals.... long before the press releases and pubic comments periods.

All manner of trade off's are done by those with vested interests behind closed doors that we never get to hear about and usually before it ever gets to public comments stage.

Ina perfect world and a true democracy - what you write is the perfect response.

In the real world however, nothing a but a civil armed uprising where all those who advocated this shyte were lined up against a wall and machine gunned - would make any difference.

Marie Antionette probably said it best "The Key to Success - is keeping your head in a crisis while those around them are busy losing theirs". ;)

The frogs sent a message to their royalty after being told "let them eat cake" - by setting up guillotines and lopping their heads off in public, as a "message" they had gone a step too far!

You see anyone in France suggesting they should change from a republic back to a constitutional monarchy?

Nope - see - the message got thru!

Shooters and fishers problems are - they haven't made it clear yet to politicians that 'messing with fishers and shooters' could prove deadly for politicians, from both sides of the street!

Until they push too far and until the people rise up and nail the fricken lot of the corrupt pr!cks... nuthing in this country will change!. They will keep on getting away with this shyte.

The same Frogs who got themselves a republic BEFORE the Seppos even thought of it (And who were instrumental in the tea party plot that eventually saw the US with a republic i.e Paul Revere - another Frog) also tried to help us here downunder.

The Ureka stockade was instigated by the French diggers who had a republic in their home country and were against the Brittish crown and their un fare taxes.... tried to start the process here and sadly failed on that occasion!

It was tried a second time during the great shearers strike of the late 1800s when French Hoffmeister (The Jolly Swagman) burned down the shearing shed at Dagoworth station for which the troopers hung him from a tree and dumped his body in the Billabong.

Until Aussies actually grow a set a knackers and take control of this country - we will forever be subjugated I am afraid and never have any inalienable rights as human beings and men.

That's what it will take to change anything!

Bar the shooters of Oz taking the Fed parliament, armed and by storm... you can forget writing to any minister to make any difference.

Until they do - the pollys will think nothing of eroding any rights in any way they see fit.

Its a rigged game Fenring - when you've been round long enough you will work this out!

Writing to a politician and expecting it to change anything, is like believing in the tooth fairy.

I applaud your passion.. but think your sights are set a TAD too high... you should lower your aim a tad and kneecap a few of the pr!cks.

Heres what you do -

Find every politician who supports gun bans etc... and make a list!

In everyone of their electorates...sign up every shooter who lives there to the party, and branch stack so they don;t get pre selected to run again - and instead put up pro shooters!.

And do it to both sides...

Politicians in the USA know that to take on the NRA is political suicide.

Until it means the same thing here we will always be screwed & it doesn't matter which side is in power they are each as bad as the other when it comes to guns legislation.

Its well past time to write to anyone. Its action time...

If only we knew a decent frog to lead the charge!

Viva the republic and revolution comrades!.

Wait till I am benevolent dicktater of this fair brown land. :lol:

There will be free punkin scones for everyone - you let me worry about that! :p

Fenring
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Fenring » August 24th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Mate, all they care about is their own jobs and continuance in power.

It comes wholly and soley down to numbers of votes and we need to show that we are prepared to vote according to the issue of gun laws and nothing else.

There are too many shooters who gob off on forums and pontificate, but then won't so much as pen a short submission when the time comes.

It's a numbers game, and it's not hard to stick your hand up and be counted if you really love your sport!

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » August 24th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Theres a mentality toward protesters, and the association with other groups that use that method or political pressure. Gun owners tend to be made up of people that dont really want to be seen as the protester crowd.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » August 24th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Yeah, damn right - I don't want to be seen as a protester - i want to be seen as the guy pulls the switch on the guillotine!. :lol: :lol:

They will take your submission Fenring and do whatever they want regardless, then use your submission to say "but we consulted widely before reaching our decision".

I used to think it made a difference once - it took a while before I worked out it don't mean squat.

Votes? You mean preference deals... What you vote makes zero difference...it's all about the flow of preferences.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”