Killin Ants? What can I use that WORKS?!

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Shann Low
Avid Poster

Killin Ants? What can I use that WORKS?!

Unread post by Shann Low » July 10th, 2015, 4:30 pm

OK Guys - whats the deal with killin' ants?

******* things showed up here 12 months ago like a ground invasion force...

Little brown sugar ants (Pharaoh ants?).

The little fuckers are getting into the house.. and under the paving bricks... I have tried everything you can think of, ant rid, raid spray, David Greys ant dust, NUTHIN seems to work... there's always more of them...

I want something that will nuke these lil suckers... back to the stone age!

Sick of them coming out into the kitchen & pantry cupboard!

I'm done with havin' kids long ago so anything that shrivels my chances of reproduction is quite OK by me as long as it kills these lil SOB's to the zillionth generation...would be good.

$$ No Object - this is W A R!

Hit me with it - heck even Napalm & white phosphorous sounds good to me at the moment.

These suckers don't know who they have taken on.... these things are going DOWN I tell ya -& I'm not planning to take any prisoners!

Hope the ants have their speakers up and can hear me a commin! :irked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRDF_0lfHk

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Killin Ants? What can I use that WORKS?!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 10th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Stuff I used to use that was extremely effective was called 'Deildrin', but I doubt you'll be able to buy it anywhere any more.... :( it worked, forever! And I don't really care if the ground underneath the concrete slab my house is built on would glow in the dark if you could see it!! Nor am I particularly concerned about too many pregnant women or their unborn children being exposed to the earth underneath the slab - it'S UNDER the bleeding house!! Altho I guess if there are people around who can & want to get into the soil under my house, then I'm probably not going to hang around long enough to discuss what they may or may not have been exposed to!! :eek:

Buuuut, in this day & age, I think that the only thing you are left with access to that might work is one of those multi-station arsenic (or similar) baiting systems, where the theory is that the worker ants will take the bait from one of many small bait stations back to the main nest & kill the queen everything else!! Not cheap, & I'm not all that sure that you don't need to pay someone 'qualified & certified' appropriately to install them, plus they require a contract with you that means they get to charge you an annual fee for coming around & checking it every year or so for at least the next 3 generations of your offspring.... but at least the ants don't come back!!

There again, I've heard tell that you should be thankful it's the little brown sugar ants - apparently if you've got them you won't have termites.... but I'm not sure if that's meant to console you or horrify you!! :confused:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » July 10th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Find the source of the food that is attracting them , remove that and they will go away. Until you do they aint going anywhere.

Put any open food into sealed containers , don't leave in original packages such as Sugar in the original paper bags or anything else that is not a permanent seal-able airtight container etc.

Have a big clean out of the pantry in particular , wipe every container that might be sticky, or leaking , it could be something as a simple as a dribble of honey down the side of a jar. Same with the kitchen cupboards, the food source is there somewhere

It doesn't take much at all to attract them.

And if they are already in your kitchen and pantry it should be pretty easy to find, just follow their little iddy biddy footprints :lol:

And its cheaper that having someone come in spray some stuff around and tell you the same thing ( if he is doing the right thing)
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 10th, 2015, 6:16 pm

I have had great results from finding the nest (any and every hole in the ground you can find them in)and giving it a liberal dose of ammonia based bleach.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 10th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Honey and borax has always worked for me, takes time though and persistence. Have to mix it completely too or the clever little bastards have an ability to separate the honey and leave the borax.

I actually spent part of the arvo today cleaning out my 1/4 std and deed socket set, it was covered in the buggers and their eggs. Will have to lay some baits in the shed now.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 11th, 2015, 11:53 am

Amdro - I am reliably informed Amdro is the gear for ants.... but ts not cheap! $79 at Bunnings!

So down to Bunnings I go, early this A.M. in my ugg boots and tracky dacks, coz its as cold as my muther in laws kiss outside (And the usual footy shorts, thongs and singlet just ain't gunna cut it this morning!).

Search the shelf... drop my guts so bad, I have to walk up and down a few aisles and crop dust the joint until things simmer down some...

Back to searching - nada - so I ask the dude in the red apron a few aisles over & he checks the bar code with his scanner thing and says - "We have 10 of those still in stock". Gets the fork lift & searches every cardboard box on top of every shelf...

1 Hour later.. Nada, zippo, zilch - guess we must be out of stock says he, helpfully!. :irked:

10.00 am Sat morning - been up since sparrow fart and achieved exactly what?

Zippo Zilch Nada nothing!

Plan B

Napalm and white phosphorous it is then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvwQmxLaknc

Once the battles engaged - there simply is no retreat!

Soldier on..... still luvin' the smell of napalm in the morning!

Dem ant B!tches is going down I tell ya & today is their day of reckoning come hell or high water! :twisted: :mad:

Petrol and palm oil... & match....

Wish me luck.. there's only 1 way this ends... its me or them!

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » July 11th, 2015, 4:50 pm

when I was a kid we had a bull ant nest in the yard which never seemed to go, so myself & mate mixed old mower fuel, oil, metho, and anything flammable we could find. we ended up with about 2 gallons and poured it down every hole we could find, then stood back & threw lit matches until it caught. there was a WOOOOmpa!! and smoke poured out of about 15 places in the yard, places we didn't even see before. after about half an hour, the smoke cleared, and we could inspect the damage. fried ants everywhere. and they didn't come back!!

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 11th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Lovin' it!
Had a big ol meat ants nest on the farm once... mean SOB's about an inch long - you got bit and it felt like snake bite! :eek:
So this day I take the B-I-L "fishing" in a mates farm dam - and the mate farms Barrmundi!
This farm dam had lots of yabbies in it & when his big breeding fish get beyond tank size he "retires" them into the farm dam!
So we came home with 2 Barr about 15 pounds each! :thumb: Mighty exciting fishing it was...
Got home and fired up the BBQ, fillet these 2 big barra's & put the fillets on the BBQ!
Well, come time to eat the things and everyone gagged and spat!
They ALL tasted like liquorice - every single fillet! Totally inedible...like fennel or that 'ouzo' that taste like liquorice... just yuk real bad. Turns out the farmed barra's are fed with a pellet feed that has aniseed in it to turn the fish on for a feeding frenzy and it permeates the flesh! When they sell them to eat they put them out into sea cages in salt water in the harbor and feed them on mulies/anchovies for a few weeks to purge/get rid of, the pellet feed 'aniseed' taste and give them a wild saltwater barra flavor flesh! Ours were straight outta freshwater and hadn't been purged which is why they tasted like this aniseed / liquorice flavor!.
Neighbors cat walked past, so we offered it some fresh fish - thinking a cat won't be fussy - they love fish... Nope - cat turned up its nose and walked away!
In the end - I put the fillets an fish frames on the big ol meat ants nest - thinkin' 'well at least meat ants will eat it'... and get rid of the meat and just leave the bones to dispose of later rather than have fish rotting in the bin for a week until it got emptied next!
Nope! The Meat Ants Moved the nest 20 yards away to get away from the stinkin' fish!-
Crows wouldn't touch it! Foxes wouldn't touch it!
NOTHING would eat the dams stuff.

Maybe I just need some aniseed! :D :lol:

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 11th, 2015, 7:59 pm

4 hardware stores and most of the day tracking the darn stuff down, +$138 later and i have me a container of Amdro.
The battle is enjoined... battle lines are drawn...
No ground will be given and no prisoners will be taken... this is do or die!. :thumb:

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 11th, 2015, 8:39 pm

$138?, sounds like you found Bunnings with stock? They have a smaller pack to for under $80. Might need to order it in though.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 11th, 2015, 11:17 pm

3 different Bunnings stores - all of whom claimed to have the smaller pack, - non of whom, actually did!.

Used to know Bob Bunning in a previous life, (Forestry, when Bunnings was a timber company not a hardware). He would be turning in his grave if he were still here to see whats been done to his family name!. :irked:

Ended up getting the bigger pack coz that's all i could find coz there was a 'Masters hardware in the days travels to locate this stuff.

3 of the Bunnings places tell me they hide the stuff coz it's so expensive, no one buys it - they steal it instead! :rolleyes:

They all show it as 'in stock' on their inventory bar code scanner thingy - but non actually had any (which supports it 'being stolen' as the reason they show having stocks but actually have empty shelves).

A whole day to track down ant poison - whats this world coming too?. Don't get me started on buying nuts and bolts at Bunnings! :rolleyes:

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 12th, 2015, 12:40 am

Don't get me started on buying nuts and bolts at Bunnings!..........why not?

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 12th, 2015, 12:46 am

Now youve done it, threads bout to go nuts.

bigpig
Avid Poster

Unread post by bigpig » July 12th, 2015, 4:43 am

I use the ant rid granuels. you just put it on the nests you can see coming through the pavers and sprinkle it outside you kitchen window along the ground. it makes a barrier that they cant cross for a long time. you have to do it a couple of times a year

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » July 12th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Sounds like the ants deserve to be there.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”