Hard old guys

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
nilla60

Hard old guys

Unread post by nilla60 » July 3rd, 2015, 6:51 pm

We all know them. Old guys who are hard as nails.

There is an old guy I have known for ages and is a fixture at the local.

He was at the pub last week when he had a stroke. Couldn't speak and his right arm stopped working. So they called an ambulance.

He refused to get into the ambulance until he finished his beer.

On the mend with no permanent damage. Tough or lucky, maybe both.

pickle
Admin

Re: Hard old guys

Unread post by pickle » July 3rd, 2015, 8:07 pm

Good to hear he is on the mend....and finished his beer :lol: . Probably thought it was his last one.
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 4th, 2015, 12:23 am

My old man was one of them types - high thresh hold of pain.
Carpenter back in the days when they cut pitched roofs in green Jarrah with a hand rip saw.
From memory he put his hands into various electric saws & planers at least 3 times, that I remember!.
First time.. he put his palm into a buzzer... while building a boat in the back shed.
Wrapped it in his shirt and went up into the house and asked mum to drive him down to the doctors surgery... mum saw the blood and passed out so he drove himself in!.
Next time took the top off his thumb around the first knuckle joint in a tungsten saw. 6 weeks & he was back making furniture again. When in the hospital, my sis went to visit him... and he was complaining how he took the top of his thumb in with him for the doc to stitch back on, but the Doc/surgeon took one look at it and threw it in his waste bin! :eek:
Sis looks him in straight in the eye and says "Miserable old bastard - your too tight for pay for a funeral and trying to bury ya-self one piece at a time". He laughed his head off... she got her sense of humor from him!
Last time he took the top off his index finger...with a drop saw....
Bout 6 weeks later he was back working making 10 light Jarrah doors in our cabinet joinery factory... and we were putting the glazing beads in...
Ever since he took the top off his thumb, he would b!tch and moan about doing glazing beads, because with his short thumb - he couldn't pick up panel pins off the bench and hold them to hammer them into the glazing beads, coz his index finger and thumb didn't "meet".
So he had to use a pair of long nose pliers to pick up and hold the little panel pins, to nail them into the glazing beads, which was slow and frustrating, and annoyed him a lot.
So we are doing glazing beads this day and he worked out that now he cut the top off his index finger & it was shorter than before - it now met his correspondingly short thumb, for the first time in more than a decade and he could pick up panel pins again! Turns to me and says "you know - I'd a cut that tip off my index finger a decade ago - if i knew I could pick up panel pins this easy again!"
He was the last of the 'hard bastards' I knew.. we worked together ~ 20 years before he died in 2005 aged 73 (Born Jan 1931). Got his builders rego when he was still a apprentice.... number 931 in Western Australia - they are up around 15,000 odd in number now... Went to night school with Harold Clough (Clough Engineering) - I remember Harold asking him to come down the Narrows Bridge when Harold was building it... He'd run into a problem building the bridge that he couldn't solve on his own - but the old man came up with a way to do it that didn't send Harold broke.
He built a 3 story house on the banks of the Swan River in Jutland Parade Dalkeith next door to Bondys place for Bell Bros daughter as a wedding gift, when she married a Perth Accountant (1976).
He drank the Swan Brewery dry pretty much on his own... (he was an alcoholic at one point - BUT he managed to beat it / give it up & led AA in WA for many years until he died).
Don't make em like that any more.
I'm a soft **** compared to him... but my own kids think I am a hard bastard!
They only ever saw his soft side as "Grandpah".... they never had him kick their ass until their nose bled, for messing up they way I did growing up.
He liked to fish and build boats...

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » July 4th, 2015, 10:34 am

I love hard old guys.

Dont know why but i'm drawn to them. I'm not even 30 years old
and only have about 3 friends under 40. :lol: The story's ive heard
from these old blokes are just mental.

One i knew was called al. Big al. Lived in broome,drove an old rusted out troopy
and was arguably the best person in the world to go camping with. Grabbed muddys
out of the fitzroy by standing on them in bare feet and just crabbing them with a can of
jacks in one hand,crab in the other.

Anyone who has seen the claws on a full grown muddy would know,it could snap
a childs wrist with the power in it's claw,al used to just step on them and throw them
in the fire.

Al looked after me like a dad and so have a lot of old boys over the years.

He made a knife from a goats horn and an old trowel in a shieth made from snakeskin.
The sharpness of the blade on this thing was just stupid. It would cut paperbark
with more ease than a new stanley blade.

Then there is old maxxy,max or maxwel. I called him maxxy. He taught me everything i know about
radiators and soldering. Just a genuine tough old bastard. He was 65 working in an old
workshop with his oxy torch going, in about 55 degrees c and over. Showed me things
to do with radiators that virtually noone else knows. People came from all over to
find him,customers from decades ago. Doing honeycomb core radiators on old bentleys
and that,if anyone knows what i'm talking about.

It's hard to get much out of them but when you get a story out of them it's worth listening.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » July 4th, 2015, 11:30 am

The neighbour had an old Walter truck with a honeycomb radiator. :)

One guy old guy I used to always go camping, fishing and hunting with and he'd tell me about stuff that he did during the war. Many years later I went to his funeral and it was very clear from the eulogy that his daughters knew very little about just how tough their father had done it.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » July 5th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Back in the day when you couldnt get parts/cores for different radiators
max used to cut down cores with a garden saw,resolder/overhaul the headerplates
and make a new rad from whatever there was.

There was a show about this old fella who runs his own saw mill,he built it himself
out of old junk and still runs the old mill.

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/content/ ... 109955.htm

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 5th, 2015, 3:20 pm

I remember that old guy and his sawmill show Goldylux!
Brought back a lot of fond memories for me!.

Old man and I had a small mill and kiln with our timber business.

We used a old portable saw mill and tractor with FEL forks, milled all our logs by hand that way... you can see this old growth Jarrah log I remember was over 2 meters in diameter at the butt end (and weighed 11 tonnes in the one trunk).

We had to put the portable saw mill ends up onto 20 liter drums to get the saw blade far enough off the ground to mill it and walk along planks on saw horses off the ground to pull the blade along!

Just don't see logs/trees like that any more these days.

OSHWA would do double back flips these days if they saw the ways we did things we used to do! :p

But we got the job done at the end of the day...

But - I don't miss the hard yakka that I had to do, back in those days!. ;)

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 5th, 2015, 6:32 pm

I remember another old "hard-doer" from my youth - sitting here watching that sawmill video from land line!

As a young lad in the early '80's, I used to employ men for the railways, pay them (in the old days of cash payrolls when I carried a old Browning .32 semi auto hand gun and went to the bank with a leather docs bag to pick up $40 K a week etc).

Anyway this wirey little old red headed bloke, fronted for a job one day, Dutchy McBeath... and I had a temp fettling job going, so he signed straight on and went to work.
he was quite good actually and within a couple years was leading the local fettlers gang (track master/leading hand - fettler/Ghandy dancer, call it what you will).

And old Dutchy ran his gang with an iron fist for 10 years... until he turned 65 and had to retire under govt laws of the day...

He was a real 'last of the hard men', drink and fight with the best of them - his men all looked up to him.

So we put on a bit of a 'retirement show' for him - a few beers and eats etc & "presented him with a 10 years service certificate by the local 'district engineer' (i.e. my boss) for his loyal and much appreciated service. Everyone liked & respected Old Dutchy McBeath.

And blow me down - the old bugger pulled out his original birth certificate (Which i had never sighted when i employed him 10 years earlier coz it was just a temporary position back then)!

The bugger was 75 not 65 as we thought!

He'd lied about his age the day he signed on!

On the day I'd employed him, he'd just come from his retirement function down at the main roads department, coz they forced him to retire at age 65 - so he signed on for another 10 years with the railways coz he wasn't ready to retire at 65 & he lied about his age telling us he was only 55!

He died of cancer about 3 weeks after he retired at 75!
He was one of many such hard buggers I knew and worked with.
Always had a lot of respect for my elders - it was how I was brought up.

These days the kids think they know it all... no one cam get a job after 50 go figure!.

The old blokes were some of the best employees we ever had! They could teach the young blokes a trick or two!

District engineer kicked my ass for not checking old Dutchy's birth certificate when I employed him tho... but he was laughing hard when he did it. We all went to his funeral 3 weeks later.

Shyte like that, just doesn't happen these days... :lol:

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » July 5th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Goldylux wrote:There was a show about this old fella who runs his own saw mill,he built it himself
out of old junk and still runs the old mill.
That old guy is my uncle, that mill is just one of the many things he's made over the years. The man is a mechanical wizard but never had any formal training, which is probably to his advantage, no one ever taught him a thing couldn't be done. He just used to see a need, and would knock up something with an oxy torch and welder and some old salvaged bits to fill it.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » July 6th, 2015, 7:33 pm

I have wathced the story of Ralphs mill a few times. I like his mad max contraption
with however many gears it has and how he did the drawings for his mill with
a 30cm ruler. Then tweaking his setup to work with how the wood reacts when cut.
The man is very talented and special.

The movie about the bloke with the Indian is coming to mind now and how he cast
his own pistons in his shed for that bike and ran it on the Bonneville salt flats.

Old blokes are amazing.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » July 6th, 2015, 10:46 pm

Well - great uncle actually.
Mate you should have seen his log loader he built to get logs out of the scrub that nobody else could retrieve. He bought a scrapped grader and a scrapped forklift. Gas axed the rear of the grader and then welded a 4WD truck front axle into the driving end and welded the fork lift, lifting assembly into the middle. He ended up with something that steered from both ends could go backwards, forwards, and sideways then scoop up logs with the forks and transport them out of the scrub and then lift them onto the semi! He nicknamed it "Popeye" after Popeye the sailor man who could do almost anything.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » July 7th, 2015, 1:26 am

Loving it!

Aussie ingenuity at it's finest! :thumb:

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » July 9th, 2015, 10:43 pm

A few posts up ^^^^.... hey goldy, you better be careful you don't become an old fart before your time hanging around with the likes of some of us lot....!!

Anyway, I heard stories about electricians from the old days. Don't use a meter or voltstick to check what is dead or alive in a switch board. Tip of the finger does the job. touch - dead... touch - dead .... touch (sudden muscle spasm) - live... touch (sudden muscle spasm) -live.... touch -dead etc etc.

I heard one bloke got the nickname "fusible finger" after he blew the top off his finger using that technique in a 415V socket outlet.

(I won't argue the point about how the circuit was completed in these cases.)

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”