Apprenticeships!! [Wollongong]

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
JustinProk
I'm new, be nice!

Apprenticeships!! [Wollongong]

Unread post by JustinProk » June 25th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently near the end of year 12 and still at school aha, I live in the Wollongong area and am interest in the 4WD scene! I was wondering if anybody offers work experience at a 4WD mechanic/heavy diesel mechanic or a diesel fitter? Or even better if you are looking for an apprentice?
Thanks guys if you can help me out! (Btw I don't have my license, still on my L's)

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: Apprenticeships!! [Wollongong]

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 25th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Hurry up with your license, polish your shoes, get your resume up to scratch, and do some serious door knocking.
Ask for work experience first. This will not give you a cent but will give you free experience. School will be able to cover the insurance side of things. Show your best side, work your bum off, and let them know you would love an apprenticeship!!
You will be surprised!

Cheers

RODEODAVE
Been here a while

Unread post by RODEODAVE » July 4th, 2015, 9:44 am

people want too see someone who is prepared to chase down employment not sit back and wait for it to come to them . sure posting on here is a chance of finding something but turning up at a business shows you are determined to find work .
just my 2 cents worth and good luck !

Dave

Cornbeef
Need to get out more

Unread post by Cornbeef » July 4th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Hi Justin
where abouts in the Illawarra are you from mate, im from Dapto & know my way are around a 4by a little & are always keen to help a a local.
My advice would be to get your careers adviser at school help you get some work experience, why dont you try places like Sth Coast 4x4 in Montague St or Illawarra Diesel in Fairy meadow or even Turbo Glide at Russel Vale, or i might be able to put you in contact with my buddy from Remondis at Unanderra that's Trucks though. you can ask to be helped by Essensal services which is through your high school they are awesome at helping young adults find work experience & apprenticeships.
Anyway welcome to the forum, you will be able to learn a lot here, i have - all you have to do is ask & you will get help.

Happy Trax Cornbeef

Asko96
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Asko96 » July 4th, 2015, 11:11 pm

"BigDutchy

Is just walking in & handing out resumes legit?

I'm in the gippsland area, have my own license & a tonne of mechanical experience under my belt (Fixed family trucks etc, built my own car from the ground up) & have had absolutely zero luck getting a diesel mechanic apprenticeship. Had an interview, but didn't get a call back (TBH, sounded like the bloke was put off by me having to travel 40+ minutes a day to work, but wouldn't that just mean I'm more committed & determined to work?)

Almost about to go around to every truck joint I can find & hand out resumes, but sort of thought this sort of thing was frowned upon these days, as in, if they aren't advertising, why would they want an apprentice? Wouldn't it just be annoying having someone show up on your doorstep & ask for an apprenticeship?

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 4th, 2015, 11:38 pm

If you hand out 200 resumes and get 1% interest you have the opportunity of 2 jobs. When you walk into a place make a note of the name of the person you are talking to; be it the office girl the manager or whoever it may be. When you contact them in 2 weeks to ask for advice about your resume or what you need to do to get a job ask for them by name and follow the advice you get given. Even if you get conflicting advice use what is suggested to get a job with that person. If you can build a personal relationship with an employer you have a better chance of getting a job. A follow up every 2 weeks keeps you on the radar and may get them talking about you with other employers (maybe as that annoying bloke who keeps bothering them) but if you are being noticed you will land a job.If you want to sell a car , a boat or a house you have to advertise it, if you want a job you have to advertise yourself as being ready and able to do the job or be ready to be taught how to do it.Put it out there as much as you can. Good Luck with it.

Asko96
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Asko96 » July 4th, 2015, 11:58 pm

Cheers
my plan was to just walk into a bunch of places, ask for the manager & give them my resume, say hey I'm such & such & am going around handing out resumes trying to get gain work experience/potentially land an apprenticeship, if this interests you let me know

And hey, if I get a 1% success rate, that's 1% more chance than I have sitting around waiting for one to pop up I guess.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » July 5th, 2015, 8:52 am

Is just walking in & handing out resumes legit? Yes, 100%
It shows some interest and effort to get something done.
As said before, do "free" work experience for a bit.
Good luck

JohnF_LN106
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by JohnF_LN106 » July 24th, 2015, 8:08 am

Have a look around at TAFEs in your area, some of them may offer a pre-apprenticeship in diesel mechanic/fitter. This will get a lot of the study required done and dusted, it'll give you a better feel for what it's like to work on trucks and 4by's, it'll show potential employers you're serious and it'll make you more employable as you'll be away at TAFE less during your apprenticeship. It will also give you an academic transcript at the end which, if it shows good marks on your exams, will speak heaps about how serious you are.
Most pre-apprenticeships are only 1 year and, if you're just finishing up Year 12, you can get government funding to do it.
While doing it, start asking around the local places, talk to any local trucking companies (they'll either have their own workshop or can refer you to the shop they use), truck dealerships/service centres, 4wd places like Opposite Lock, ARB, etc.
Also, consider that Berrima Diesel who are very well regarded in the industry are only an hour away by car.
Oh and get your P's ASAP. Employers want people who can get themselves to work.
Best of luck! Stick at it and you'll make it.
1991 HDJ80 GXL: 3" lift, 33" MT ATZ P3s, all the fruit.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”