Am I just getting beyond it??

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Am I just getting beyond it??

Unread post by V Williamson » June 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am

The old TV was one of the earlier LED's that was around the same size as the typical CRT TV from how many years ago. Got the jack of the size and quality of the picture so we bought a "smart TV". Somewhat bigger, but not overwhelmingly so, certainly clearer, but tell me, who is "smart" around here?

I navigated to the Apps section and preloaded are pages and pages of .... ummm... yeah well ... what exactly??? Is it just me or I am supposed to enthralled by the squillions of things this tv is supposed to be internet capable of? I look at all these Apps and wonder what the blazes does all this mean? Ok youtube was down in there, I can handle that one and got to watch my favourite aviation clips (dunno how many times I have looked at all the variants on VH-OJA, while that qantas 767 on its way to Victorville for most likely scrapping has to be one of the best of its type), but beyond that am I supposed to really have a grasp on what is being thrown at me?

Either am I getting too old, too cynical or it is time to back out to the solace of the shed? Anyone else thinking the same?

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Re: Am I just getting beyond it??

Unread post by stockhorse » June 22nd, 2015, 11:23 am

The good thing about all of that mate is you can just ignore it all. Because it is capable of it doesn't mean you have to work it out and use it. The younger ones among us may find it "bare bones" necessary but the solace of the shed will beat it every time.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 22nd, 2015, 8:33 pm

Mate I am with you. My son works at JB HiFi. He has been trying to sell me a smart telly for a long time now but my
"not so large anymore wide screen" TV works great. Okay, I can't watch 423 channels at once or watch YouTube with my left eye and Lowrange with my right eye, my colors are not much shop apparently but what's wrong with me old telly? It works, after 7 years I finally understand most functions of my remote.....Nope I'll stick with me old telly!!
You should have a look in my boys bed room. I am sure that the windmill park around the corner will go broke as soon as he moves out. His room has more gadgets going than the new airbus. His power usage must be the reason that bank knocked me back for a car loan.....

Either am I getting too old, too cynical or it is................................

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » June 22nd, 2015, 9:35 pm

Smart TV is a temporary thing that will be quickly superseded, it's not very smart and not at all flexible as it's baked into your TV. It is clumsy, limited and too complicated to use.

We recently picked up a Chrome Cast. $50 and it plugs into the HDMI of the LCD telly I picked up second hand when a friend moved overseas. Anything we find (on computer, tablet or phone) that we want to watch or listen to has a Chromecast button and we just send it to the telly/stereo. Not quite perfect yet, but heaps better than SmartTV.

I don't watch much telly, but there's not much on that floats my boat. So last TV night I watched a Norwegian fishing show where they were landing 100+ kg halibut; much better than what passes for reality TV here. Also plenty of good stuff to watch like on the Internet Archive and various Universities. Then I subscribe to various DVDs, some with beards, some without.

I even have a 70+ year old rello hooked. Wanted to rebuild his diff so set him up with a Youtube playlist.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » June 24th, 2015, 6:03 pm

i must be even worse than u guys cause i dont even get the differences in tvs. they are just all teles to me. if there is 'smart' in the name then i can be sure i wont want it. had my first smart phone now for bit over a year and if it wasnt a business necessity it would be going strait in the bin. still cant see what all the fuss is about

Wombat1965
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Wombat1965 » June 27th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Lot of trends come and go, breathlessly told to us by manufacturers as "the next big thing!!!".
3D TV which has hopelessly flopped (only really works sitting in one particular spot, got to all have glasses, simply doesn't work for some people), curved screens which again have all sorts of issues such as having to sit in one particular place to get the benefit of it, etc, smart TV's with functionality that 90% of people will never even use...the list is endless.
Now we have 4K TVs coming which are supposed to be...better...somehow.

And on a related note, am I the only one who can't see any difference between normal DVD and BluRay DVD...? :D

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » June 27th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Can't beat just plugging in a laptop via HDMI, and using a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 28th, 2015, 11:33 am

Wombat1965 wrote:....And on a related note, am I the only one who can't see any difference between normal DVD and BluRay DVD...? :D
You would see the difference IF you were watching on a set-up that was capable of showing them both at their best!! But sadly, few home entertainment set-ups come anywhere near that, altho lots of people like to kid themselves!! :sillywink:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » June 29th, 2015, 5:45 am

Wombat1965 wrote: And on a related note, am I the only one who can't see any difference between normal DVD and BluRay DVD...? :D

nope, your not the only one. im even worse cause i cant notice any difference between our lcd flatscreen and a 30yo box.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » July 2nd, 2015, 1:28 pm

Got a small tv from jb hifi that has a dvd
player in it and a usb inlet. it is small but has True high definition.
It's a house t.v and i didnt realise till i got home but it said
it will run off 12v. palsonic 300 bucks. It is small though.

It was for the bedroom but i can see me making stainless hangers for
it and fitting the 12v power up to the rtt. I imagined being in there
at night or when it's pouring rain in the tent with a usb full of shows.

As far as beyond it,I still dont have a smart phone,partially by choice.
I've even been given expensive ones from friends only for me to give them back
a week later. I dont want one,dont need one and dont want to learn how to use one.

I think we have enough people out there glued to their phones playing on apps
or whatever and losing their ability to have real conversations.

If they still made that tradeproof nokia and it had a descent camera i would buy that.
I remember the old orange nokia in two pieces.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 2nd, 2015, 5:31 pm

You can catch up. If you miss a program on say Ch7, and the repeats of it, its often found on the links to particular channels. You can also do that via PC of course, but a smart TV can too. I find that convenient at times.

I also have options of alternative movies etc free, when TV has bugger all on, and the PVR has bugger all on it too. I cant recall what link that was, and Ive only used it once.

Other than that, Im not sure what else it does. Maybe we need a 14yr old in here to tell what we dont realise it does.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 2nd, 2015, 5:37 pm

Wombat1965 wrote:..
Now we have 4K TVs coming which are supposed to be...better...somehow.
On larger screens, the edges of images are blurred due to the same individual 1080 pixels having to fill the larger dimensions. 1080 pixels on a 32" screen, must be smaller than 1080 on a 60" screen. By making the 4k, they have quadrupled the number of pixels, halving their size, making it much more like a 32" image quality, on a larger screen. Its easier to have a cleaner, crisper picture with small screens, this is one of the challenges for big screens. 4k is the answer they have come up with.

1920 x 1080 FHD
3840 x 2160 4K

Its quadrupled, not double as the dimensions are 1920 x 1080, not just 1080.

Sadly, not much is made in 4k to take advantage of it fully. But Im told that it simulates native 4k, giving images a cleaner edge. Or something like that.

We have 3D too, the glasses are still sitting unopened in the box.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » July 2nd, 2015, 6:03 pm

Gary_M wrote:You can catch up. If you miss a program on say Ch7, and the repeats of it
How can you possibly manage to miss them, I try my hardest but it seems like we have 4 times more channels with 1/3 the number of shows so it is always "encore" (never a repeat anymore). I am sure there is only 2hrs of non "encore" tv a week now.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 2nd, 2015, 6:19 pm

^^
Nanna naps?

crozza6
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by crozza6 » July 2nd, 2015, 7:50 pm

My first comment on this forum (well maybe I did one a couple of years ago!)

I love technology, love reading about what wonderful new things my phone, tablet, ipad, laptop, 4k tv and other gadgets.
I do understand most of the new stuff, I set it up for friends and relo's but I don't want all that stuff.

Yes I do have a smart phone but I don't read the weather on it, do the internet or watch videos from YouTube on it, I do however get my emails, send texts and TALK to people!

Waddya reckon?

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”