Mountain biking

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Mountain biking

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 5th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Hello

Who else is in to mountain biking?
I am and loving it. I have not much skill but enjoy going bush and enjoy being outside of the beaten track.
I like to go in the morning. Nice and crisp. I always see Kangaroos and other wild life.
It's a great way to start the day.

I spoiled myself with a new MTB the other day. I nice Specialized Stump Jumper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fenring
Part of the furniture

Re: Mountain biking

Unread post by Fenring » June 6th, 2015, 9:17 am

Good choice of bike.

I used to do heaps, but kind of lost interest a few months back.

Still have a Cannondale Rush hanging in the shed.

rowdyskrooza
Avid Poster

Unread post by rowdyskrooza » June 9th, 2015, 8:21 pm

I am. Norco Atomik, downhill :)
unnamed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you think the last 4 words of the national anthem are gentlemen, start your engines, you might be a redneck.

Fenring
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Fenring » June 9th, 2015, 11:06 pm

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » June 10th, 2015, 12:24 pm

I have been doing a fair bit of work for the QLD GOV park and wildlife.
Been up at the Daisy hill forest qld and the mountain bike scene is nuts.
The bikes that come through are just wicked, from someone with a motocross background I can see myself getting one, and needing to drop a few kegs.
Looks like fun, but can come at a cost and thats your life... So get the good and be super careful. Been a few serious accidents, I will not be useing a standard push bike helmet which so many seem to use, my motor cross helmet will be the one I choose.

Keep a close eye on this thread, I will start with a 2k budget.

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » June 10th, 2015, 2:31 pm

gqjay wrote: I will not be useing a standard push bike helmet which so many seem to use, my motor cross helmet will be the one I choose.
That would possibly be a bad choice, Motor Cross helmets are designed for different types and speeds of impacts than a specific use mountain bike helmet.This link may be of some assistance.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Mountain- ... #bicreview

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » June 10th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Hey stock horse, you missing part of your fork.....I like these Canondale's, always a good chit chat starter....

And gqjay, you are right you need to be care full. I just passed my ABL Mountain bike guide cert. I needed this cert to be able to take under ed. Qld requirements students for a of road bike ride.
It's good fun to take the kids for a ride. Nothing to hectic.Just a great way to be outside and away from trouble.
But gqjay you don't need $2000 budget. You can pick up a great second bike for half that. Just take your time to find it.

Cheers

Fenring
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Fenring » June 10th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Would never own another Lefty - they are as high maintenance as a supermodel girlfriend.

Good fun to ride when they are going well, pain in the arse to live with long term. :lol:

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » June 11th, 2015, 7:59 am

stockhorse

Cool cool, thanks mate.... Noticed the full face cover down hill helmet.

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Unread post by gqjay » June 11th, 2015, 8:03 am

Thanks for the advice big dutchy

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » June 11th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Cross country hard tail rider here. Nothing flash, just an old reid 29er that I've upgraded a bit and hit with a tin of Matt black to hide my shame haha. The roadies get my main focus, but mtb is what I like the best. I see the Brisbane valley rail trail is being extended all the way to Ipswich. Maybe a forum 3 day bike pack/pub crawl might be in order?

smwhiskey
Been here a while

Unread post by smwhiskey » June 11th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Used to ride a fair bit in the hills around Wollongong. For various reasons, I've hardly touched the bike in the last 5 years since I moved to Brisbane.

Been packing on the Kgs over the past few years (too much time commuting and not enough time exercising) so considering getting the bike out of the shed and riding again.

Circa 2010 KHS Dual Suspension MTB is/was my weapon of choice offroad but I also have a road bike and track bike out in the shed as well.

Simon
2003 NP Exceed Pajero with a bit of lift, a large plastic straw to breathe through and hunk of steel on the front with a few bits and pieces hanging off it.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » June 11th, 2015, 8:38 pm

I had to sell off most of my bikes...Had 5 at one stage... was heavily involved with Down hill racing in WA at one point for a short time but family made for different work choices on a single income. So I resigned from the Association. I know have two bikes left. A hard tail Giant STP zero single speed for the jumps, which I don't hit any more due having to stay fit for work...lol...I also have my pride and joy 2009 GT Force which has been pimped out with all the goodies. I still love the riding and trails as all my adventures in the bush started on a bike.

I just don't ride much any more due to time being against me. Keeping fit and agile is now a bi product of 60+ hours a week of physical work. To tell the truth...I just dont' have any energy left after work anywayz...lol

If you do have the time, enjoy it...Its one of the best activities around.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » June 13th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Was in Bali recently, mountain biking is probably something that I wouldn't do at home or away. Wife booked a day out & we all had a ball.

Bussed to the top of a mountain, breakfast looking over a valley to a volcano then mounted up the bikes & rode down. Was only 2 hills all day so just coasted down past rice fields & through villages.

Our guide's name was Stone, he was brilliant. Would send the teenage boys off on an adventure while Mum & Dad would sit under a tree with a juice or a coffee. He was also great at showing us a bit of the village life, down to earth stuff, not the Mungbean version.

Was all on bitumen & the bikes where probably of the Big W budget so we probably violated a creed or two. Regardless, whole family had a great day. Finished off with a meal, few Bintangs, was very pleasant.

CHRISMAV
Part of the furniture

Unread post by CHRISMAV » June 20th, 2015, 10:48 pm

I have just got back into it this year after a long hiatus.

Still riding my old beast. She is now 18 years old ha ha. But I have got her purring like a kitten and was a high spec bike in her day so is still not a bad ride.

However, I'm waiting for the 2016 Giant range to be released next month then will pull the trigger on a 2015 XTC hardtail :)

92 Maverick - Gone but not forgotten.... [url]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=50425[/

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”