30 Million powerball

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
BigDutchy
Need to get out more

30 Million powerball

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 28th, 2015, 6:10 pm

What would you do with that money?

I am not interested in all the charities you gonna look after etc.

Just how do you gonna spoil yourself.

I would get a builder doing all the jobs, plus some that I hate doing. I will not move as I love where I am and the house is great.
But it needs a paint, the yard needs work, etc. I also would replace the above ground pool for an in ground pool etc.
Oh and I will get a nice shed built with hoist etc.
While the builder is working hard I will be holidaying somewhere awesome.

On my flight back I would research what my new 4WD will be......

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Re: 30 Million powerball

Unread post by BigDutchy » May 28th, 2015, 6:12 pm

btw I will stop working but do a bit (but really only a bit) of volunteering for the organization I work for.
They are an awesome mob!

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » May 28th, 2015, 6:14 pm

I would tell no one - and just disappear around Australia with the Missus for 6 months in my "retirement" 4WD and camper trailer while we work out just what the h*ell I'm gunna do with all that moolah.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » May 28th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Rule of thirds, 1/3 for saving, 1/3 for family/friends.

And see how fast you could actually spend $10,000,000
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » May 28th, 2015, 11:07 pm

Just keep farming till its all gone! :lol:

Seriously tho... this whole lotto things REALLY starting to peeve me.

For about the 4th time now we have got 3 of the 6 numbers and powerball.

Did you know, there's NO PRIZE at all for getting half the fricken numbers?

Sure -
Division 8, get 2 numbers and the power ball - yes there's a payout!.
Division 7, get 4 winning numbers - yes there's a payout!
Division 6, get 3 winning numbers and the power ball - yes there's a payout!
Division 5, get 4 numbers and the power ball - yes there's a payout!
Division 4, get 5 winning numbers - yes there's a payout!
Division 3, get 5 winning numbers & the power ball - yes there's a payout!
Division 2, get 6 winning numbers - yes there's a payout!
Division 1, get 6 winning numbers & the power ball - yes there's a BIG payout!.

But get 3 winning numbers - on 4 separate occasions and what do you get?

Yep - what Paddy shot at! i.e. SFA

Fricken things rigged, I tell ya! :lol: :rolleyes: :irked:

stockhorse
Need to get out more

Unread post by stockhorse » May 28th, 2015, 11:37 pm

For about the 4th time now we have got 3 of the 6 numbers and powerball.

Division 6, get 3 winning numbers and the power ball - yes there's a payout!

Are you confused?? I am.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » May 29th, 2015, 4:27 am

I'll try that again - shall I? :lol:
For about the 4th time now we have got 3 numbers

of the "6 numbers and powerball" required
to win.

3 outta 7 ain't bad, so why does 2 + Powerball win - but 3 straight numbers gets zippo - it takes the same odds / luck to get 3 straight numbers!.

I am just saying, the way the prize divisions is worked out, is crap.... getting around half the numbers (3) required, should get you something - even if it's just the cost fo your ticket to have a go the next week!.

Why does 2 numbers plus powerball get something, but 3 straight numbers doesn't get squat?

Just reckons it sucks myself - having got 3 numners so many times now.

We never get anything else - mightta won maybe 2 x $10 prizes in like 30 years?

OK and while I'm on my hobby horse about Lottery West.

Their enabling legislation says they can ONLY give grants to 2 types of organization:-

1. Bone Fide Not for Profit Charitys.
2. Local Govt (i.e. the local council).

It also says the grants cannot exceed $15K.

Lastly - and here's the important one....

It's SPECIFICALLY precludes the distribution of the grants to ANY State or Fed Statutory Govt Department.

The problem with all this?

There's simply not enough registered bone fide charitable organizations and local govt organizations at $15K a year each to soak up annually all the profits left over each year that Lotterywest Makes.

In fact they make so much more on top of all their grants that its a complete embarrassment to the state govt... they make on top of everything they give out, a quarter BILLION (yep that's $250 Million a year) MORE than they can allocate in their grants coz there's not enough groups that qualify and the grant amount is so small that it doesn't account for all the profits made annually!

To put that in perspective.. WA lost our AAA Credit rating because we are 1 Billion in the hole on our budget!.

Well hello- 4 years Lottery West "surplus" profits would completely pay off WA's entire debt!

See where I am going here?

You get zippo for 3 numbers, but they are rakin' it in so fast, they don't know what to do with it (within the law)!.

So just what DO they do with it?

They break the law is what!

What they do is GIVE IT TO THE STATE GOVT HOSPITALS! Something that the legislation says they can't do, coz state govt hospitals budgets are 'paid for' by the WA Dept of Health, i.e a statutory govt department!.

What the WA Govt does is under budget for hospitals by $250 Million a year, and then top up their budgets with Lottery West Funds (And the 250 Million a year they SAVE by NOT fully finding hospitals from taxes via the budget they can then spend on pork barreling TV electoral adds - and lining their own pockets thru overly generous parliamentary super & pensions plans etc!

And the buggers are doing it with my 3 numbers winnings that they don't pay out on! :lol: :rolleyes:

It's a rort I tell ya...

Lotterywest has become by defacto practice and annually breaking of the law, - a secret govt slush fund - where they under fund hospitals and swing that quarter Billion to their own preferred uses & use Lottery West funds... to top up the underfunded state govt hospitals.

I am not saying hospitals aren't needed and shouldn't get the $$ - just that the way it's done isn't legal...it breaks the very enabling legislation that established the Lotterywest organization in the beginning...

The $15K grants hasn't gone up in decades - it's not in line with CPI increases etc, so the longer this goes on, the MORE our state govt is able to deliberately under budget for hospitals and cream off the budget for a quarter billion a year, by using lottery west profits (against the law) to top up hospital budgets, disguised as 'grants'.

The legislation is very clear that no grants can be given to any statutory govt body (including 'quangos' i.e. quasi - autonomous 'non government' organizations - so things like "Swan River Trust" & Nat Parks Board/s etc etc).

The legislation also sets the max grants that any one organization can receive at $15K not $250 Million!

Struth, if they don't pay me for my 3 numbers, I'll blow the whistle on em, I tell ya! :lol:

It's rigged I tell ya - rigged!. :D

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 29th, 2015, 9:26 am

I dunno, I read the odds on 'winning' with Powerball & decided from the word go that playing that is quite simply NOT gambling in any realistic form!! Is it a 75,000,000:1 chance, or just 45,000,000:1?? Never mind, with odds like that, if you are spending your money there you should just admit to yourself that you are DONATING it to them, or maybe even just GIVING IT AWAY!! IMO those odds make it ridiculous to ever dream that you are likely to get much back, and the fact that there are soooo many others doing the same without any recognisably real chance of winning simply astounds me!! :boggle:

Heck, even playing 'normal' Lotto instead, where the odds of about 8,000,000:1 at least gives you some chance (maybe in your dreams...) of winning something!!!! :ooh:

And then someone goes and wins an obscene amount of money!! :eek: Probably either the first ever time they bought a ticket, or maybe someone gave them one as a birthday present (yeah, it happens!!) :crazy:

Oh well, I guess you just gotta be in it to even stand a chance, no matter how ridiculous the odds!! :p
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » May 29th, 2015, 9:29 am

Some one has just won 50 mill in Powerball :eek: ................... Now that's ridiculous.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » May 29th, 2015, 12:45 pm

I would buy a farm and some clothes. Never really buy clothes
and just wear stuff i get from vinnies.

Wouldnt mind starting a small family operated mine.
Buy a plant,d11 dozer,digger,truck etc.
Or open a heavy duty radiator shop. Overhead cranes,huge chemical baths
and testing baths cost big$$$ Give everyone i know a well paid job
and make my own fully kitted workshop with spray booth,hoysts,dyno
etc and i can just play with my cars and boats and see what i can build.

Then a trip around oz would be good.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » May 29th, 2015, 3:22 pm

I like the way you think Goldylux....

I always reckoned it would be neat to own a gold mine, set the joint up nice with air conditioned camp accoms - bit of a "get away", "bug out spot" for when the SHTF... or when the pressures of city life, dictate a slower pace of life for a while.

Been watching those prospector shows on 7Mate recently, - sluicing for gold on the Klondike etc & they always seem to be on the verge of bankruptcy and something vital is always breaking down... at the crucial time (just before they sluice enough pay dirt to pay their bills usually).

They manage to take a lot of "the shine" of the lucre of gold, I have to say!.

But yeah - owning a viable gold lease would be fun.... my ol granpappy, father & I once owned a very small show outta Paynes Find back in the early 70's, and we mined Tantalight, which is a super hard heat resistant form of metal - that back at the time was used for the nose cones of rockets - to withstand the heat of re entry, and was highly sought after and quite viable back then - until they invented those heat tiles on the space shuttles... :rolleyes:

Used to find lots of garnets on the lease too.

On the way up there we used to stop at the 199 mile peg on the side of the road past Wubin... and on the west side of the road if you walked along the graded fire break 10 yards in from the edge of the road, youd find perfectly formed crystal clear quartz crystals laying in the red dirt.

I remember as a kid, it was like picking up "already cut diamonds" off the ground - real "treasure"...

Funny the things you remember... from childhood. Fond memories of the ol grandfather. Heck hes been gone now since 1982 - so 33 years & the thing I remember most was gem stone fossicking with him and collecting quartz crystals!. I probably wasn't any older than say 7!

I often wonder, now that the 199 mile peg marker is gone, how many cars fulla kids drive past that spot every day, and never even know it's there, and never stop or get to experience something I remember so well - a full 50 years on.

Wonder how you'd find the same spot these days with no 199 mile peg marker?

I tried once... by converting miles to km's etc, but turned out the new big fat tires on the MQ patrol put the speedo and oddometer / triip meter a fair way out and when I stopped & looked I couldn't find squat!

Could probably do it with a GPS and google earth these days I guess - the rain washes the quartz crystals out of the graded up edge of the fire break dirt - you just walk along a bit and keep your eyes peeled - looking down as you walk.

One Powerball .... :lol:

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » May 29th, 2015, 4:08 pm

The odds of winning are really long, but, gotta be in it to win it.

I reckon I'd just take the family travelling for a bit.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » May 29th, 2015, 6:23 pm

Other than family and a few life long friends that I would keep in touch with I would just become a faded memory localy .
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

the-viking
Part of the furniture

Unread post by the-viking » June 1st, 2015, 7:45 am

I know everyone's different so this is a tongue in cheek comment (not), but anyone who says they'll continue to work after a big win like 15mill and so on should not be allowed to enter. There is a whole entire planet Earth out there to be discovered. That would be my new job. Seeing all those places I've only ever seen from the comfort of my lounge.
If you love your job so much, quit and do voluntary work for them so you open up a position for someone else.
If you hate your job but want to work, then quit and do voluntary work of some sort, but don't take up a position that someone else could have.
Cheers. :D

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » June 1st, 2015, 10:27 am

Working stops me from going crazy. I only have to work a few
hours a day though because my back is stuffed. Wonder how much
a new back would cost? :rolleyes:

Instead of going abroad i would be keen to see how far i can get helping
people.Not just giving the money to a charity but setting up feed the homeless
vans making descent meals.

Then look into making some sort of accomodation for some of the people really
in need. Give them a job to pay for their accomodation. I would give everyone a chance.

Set up a farm as a rehab.

It would be interesting to see how far the money could go.

Theres a lot of people here that need help and a staggering amount of
Australians on the streets and doing it tuff.

Bit off topic
One thing i noticed seeing the homeless people around is they are nearly all
black or white Australians. I know there's people that can't access water in
3rd world countries and such but IMO we have to help our own as well.

I want an old cray boat too. And an old tractor. :lol:

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”