The Benefits of Local Produce

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Goldylux
Avid Poster

Re: The Benefits of Local Produce

Unread post by Goldylux » May 6th, 2015, 5:34 pm

I wish they would put the dick smith stuff somewhere i could see it.

I always try and buy local produce. The only thing i buy a bit of that are
made elsewhere are cocktail spring rolls. I cannot find any anywhere
that are not made in china.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » May 6th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Rob, its sad but many are not in the position of having enough income to be able to make a selective choice.

For them that 5c per item can have a big cumulative impact
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » May 7th, 2015, 10:21 am

Absolutely Chris. Couldn't agree more.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » May 7th, 2015, 10:35 am

Not only do they not have a selective choice, a lot of people shop
on the specials and only buy things on special. More often then not
its the not local stuff on special. The margin between aussie produce
and foreign stuff can be well above 40c per item. As Chris said it
really adds up and some people just simply cannot afford it.

I think it's up to us that can afford it to buy local whatever we can.

What gets me is getting a bag of mixed veg and half of it is from somewhere else.
You would think they could make it seasonal and just use local stuff.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » May 7th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Goldylux wrote: What gets me is getting a bag of mixed veg and half of it is from somewhere else.
You would think they could make it seasonal and just use local stuff.
If it was 50% i'd buy that in preference to fully imported.

When you read " made from Local and Imported product" it often means that the only way the high cost of the local goods can be ameliorated is to combine it with the cheaper imported goods. On the other hand it could also mean that there is as little as 1% local product as well.

If it was all local goods it would probably be too expensive and not sell at all whereas with the "Local and Imported" combination at least some of our farmers are supplying product to a market that they may not otherwise reach.

I wish the labeling would reflect this as say, 40-60% local product ( seasonally dependant ) and what components , that is which of the peas carrots and corn in mixed vegies is that , for example - at least we would have a true or more realistic indication and we would know if it was benefiting Oz farmers in some way.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » May 7th, 2015, 2:57 pm

Yeah, there is much to be desired on labelling.

Take yogurt for instance. They say 'local and imported ingredients'. Chances are it's It's 99% local, but you can't always get blueberries for instance so they are often imported to keep supply.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » May 7th, 2015, 6:02 pm

I wonder what the regs are on imported food compared to food mixed
with stuff made here. It's ok thinking we're half supporting farmers but
if the food is mixed with food from here and the imported stuff that isnt
up to standard.

A lot of places use human waste in fertiliser or dump it into rivers where
fish live like basa. One of the cheapest fish there is to buy.

They dont have the standards we have.

vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Unread post by vk1dx » May 10th, 2015, 11:37 am

Another point about local produce and especially for us interstate travellers. When going to the CSR we went through I can't remember how many, pest control areas. Each time technically we should have tossed out or consumed produce. So if you only buy as you go then there isn't a problem. But then you don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which fresh food outlet you buy from. Well there is only one at Billiluna etc. It's is a good one though.

I have waited for a long time to find a polite way to say my piece on this "can't afford the local stuff" issue. I don't mean to insult or upset people. It's just our point of view. And why we try to "keep an aussie farmer in a job".

I guess we are a little luckier that some and we go to lengths to avoid stuff imported and not totally made locally. And where is the Dick Smith stuff gone. That issue really hits a sore point with us. But to get to this stage of retirement where we can choose local over imported and not chase for rear of the gods wrath the specials, we have foregone restaurants, latte shops, wine, mobile gizmos smart phones, ipads and tablets, foxtell, smokes (!!) and all that trendy stuff and especially take away junk food like Maccas.

I can't understand why some people will complain about paying the extra 40 cents a kilo for "local" meat when they will happily sit down and pay up to $5 for just one coffee. Give one coffee up and get 8 more kilos at 40 cents per kilo extra for the local cut and keep an Aussie farmer in a job.

This is in response to an earlier thread about being able to afford the extra 40 or 5 cents. My elderly sister was in exactly that situation. But she still supported the locals and even went to . No TV, internet or even a mobile phone. Yes she had the better cuts and paid the extra 5 cents etc and was quite happy and comfortable without being "trendy". Mind you when we ever went to Sydney we did "spoil" her. And why bloody not.

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » May 10th, 2015, 2:07 pm

We have a local Farmers Market that sell the local stuff that is too ripe to go through the supply chain to the supermarkets.

Fully ripened produce that is fresh as fresh. We don't buy to save aussie jobs/support aussie farmers, we buy it because it tastes a hell of a lot better. Must point out that the price is reasonable when compared to the supermarket, the extra cost is more than covered by better taste.

Haven't been able to justify the difference in meat prices, still buy that from Woolies.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » May 12th, 2015, 1:26 pm

vk1dx

I dont know how many people who cant afford 5c more on an item would
be out having 5 dollar coffees mate. Belive it or not there is still a lot of people
that don't have Smartphones or gizmos or even the internet.

Putting smoking into it is stupid. These people are lower working class or below
the poverty line, a lot of us smoke. A lot of people don't have a whole lot of
anything else.

Like i said before it's up to the people who can afford it to buy it. Some people
just simply can't afford it.

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » May 12th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Sounds valid to me. People chose where their money goes.

Some can afford it, some can't.

Some chose to pay for smokes or iphones or what ever and not local produce. That's just how it goes.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » May 12th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Dear oh dear.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”