The Benefits of Local Produce

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
gunk
Avid Poster

The Benefits of Local Produce

Unread post by gunk » April 20th, 2015, 12:06 am

Just opened a bottle of full cream Paris Creek milk (made about half an hour from where I live), 10 days past it's use by date.

Once I stabbed a whole through the layer of cream, my ultra sensitive and spoiled taste buds knew right away it wasn't fresh, but it still tasted GOOD and a whole lot better than the freshest homogenised milk off the supermarket shelf.

I reckon if your going away somewhere, get your produce as close to possible from the source, even if you intend on freezing it, and it will last a hell of a lot longer.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Re: The Benefits of Local Produce

Unread post by Goldylux » April 20th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Why did you drink old milk? did you have to?

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » April 20th, 2015, 1:52 pm

I'd strongly suggest that the cream layer has been acting as a further barrier to air, which will increase life of the milk.

When I used to get non-homoginsed milk I found the same thing.

Milk in a supermarket is something which generally *is* fresh. The time from cow to you is very short.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » April 20th, 2015, 2:22 pm

Robdeo wrote: Milk in a supermarket is something which generally *is* fresh. The time from cow to you is very short.
It may be a very short time in getting to you but it ain't milk as we know it Jim. :irked:

Milk , real milk, is as it comes from the original container - Nuffin better :D

( raised on a dairy farm - drank real milk from 5 years of age to 16 years of age )

Back to the Gunks original post , just how many people throw out perfectly good food and produce just because a little stamp says its past its use by or best date. And just how much is wasted because of those little stamps.

I think the classic is bottled water ............"Best Before" , what a *%$#*% joke :rolleyes:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » April 20th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Water bottle used by date is for the bottle, not the water inside :-)

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » April 20th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Robdeo wrote:Water bottle used by date is for the bottle, not the water inside :-)
which says a lot for the plastic if thats the case , but in many countries its even required by law on glass bottles

I wonder which goes bad first, the water or the glass :lol:

I carry a ex-fruit juice bottle because its 1 litre, clear and very tough - It has a 1 in the recycle logo

the missus worries about the chemicals leaching from it......... I rinse it every day and fill it every day that i use it - does this mean that I'm going to die of a massive overdose of chemicals leached from the plastic as it continues to leach from the bottle with every refill , or by now have literally filled it hundreds of times have drunk all that its going to release and from here there is nothing or only minuscule amounts left.

Or because I drink so much water should I change to one use disposable plastic bottles and get a fresh dose of chemicals every drink :eek:

Wiki says that the nasty stuff (Bisphenol_A) isnt readily soluble in water and that I should be right with a No 1 bottle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

Homeopathy sites reckon that my bottle is only "probably safe", that I'm going to grow boobs and have an increased risk of cancer of the hematopoietic system (eg. marrow, spleen, tonsils, and lymph nodes), a significant increase in cell tumours of the testes and an alteration of the number of chromosomes in some cells and tissues (potentially leading to mutations and ultimately cancer). Additionally, early life exposure may induce or predispose humans to an increased risk of breast cancer.
http://homeopathyplus.com.au/plastics.pdf

Aluminium has been listed as suspected of leaching with certain linings and stainless steel just clashes with my eye colour
http://becausewater.org/glass-water-bot ... s-plastic/

Dear Forum, what should I do ?
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » April 21st, 2015, 2:06 pm

Dont drink anything.

When i worked at the hospital a doctor there swore that cows milk gives you
bowel cancer and it was not the greatest thing for humans to be drinking. "Even
the baby cow stops drinking it at some point" he said.

I personally love milk but i can't drink it, not without getting pretty crook in the guts.

As far as the water bottle goes i would have thought it's better using the same one than
new ones everytime,who knows,everything is bad for you anyway.

I was getting cartons of heinekin cans for 20 bucks from the bottle shop
that where past their best before. They had a pallet and didnt know what to
do with them. This worked great for a few weeks until they must have caught on
that there was nothing wrong with them. Then they went back on the shelves
for like 35 bucks "reduced to clear" and everyone else bought them. Spewin. haha

They where the big cans too.

gunk
Avid Poster

Unread post by gunk » April 21st, 2015, 2:59 pm

Goldylux wrote:Why did you drink old milk? did you have to?
Because it was tucked away behind other stuff in the fridge and I forgot about it. I'm not going to waste food just because a label tells me it's no good.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » April 21st, 2015, 3:54 pm

I'm a bit inclined to think the same way as you Gunk & use the use by date as a guide only .

Peta found 3 cartons of longlife milk in the camper & sad we had to throw them cause they were past their use by date . This I agreed as 1 year might be a bit too out of date plus food poison can be pretty nasty & can even kill .

We carry the longlife milk cause milk is the one thing I have found to be hard to get fresh while travelling in some places.
The Woollies or was it Coles in Weipa deliveries takes about 6 days to arrive the last time we visited Weipa.

As for the plastic bottles leaching chemicals the chemicals must make you lazy cause I at home I use old drink containers to fill with tap water to chill in the frig & I'm getting lazy as I drive a Landcruiser cause I don't like walking.

Cheers TLC60S

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » April 21st, 2015, 4:18 pm

gunk wrote:
Goldylux wrote:Why did you drink old milk? did you have to?
Because it was tucked away behind other stuff in the fridge and I forgot about it. I'm not going to waste food just because a label tells me it's no good.
Fair enough.

The plastic in the bottles can also lead to Severe Procrastination Syndrome. Well i'm guessing they can.
That explains why i'm on here instead of doing household work that should have been done moons ago.

I hardly waste anything but sometimes it's better to just chuck something and spend a few dollars
to buy a new one. With certain things anyway.

As far as food labels go half of them are just confusing nonsense.

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » April 23rd, 2015, 11:32 am

I'm pretty sure that if a plastic bottle won't break down in land fill for a thousand years it'll be fine for drinking water for a year or so. When you think of some of the water we drink from time to time, creek water, dam water, tank water with the odd dead parrot, I'm sure the plastic bottle will be fine.

Fresh milk straight from the cow is delightful, warm & creamy. My brother is still reminded of the time he latched onto an udder & got some extra special fresh.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » April 23rd, 2015, 3:07 pm

Extra fresh cows milk is delightful..............tank water with the odd dead parrot............. memorable !!! :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

AGU
Been here a while

Unread post by AGU » May 2nd, 2015, 10:49 pm

Talking about milk. Years ago, I bought an ice cream and a choc milk. I ate the ice cream first and drank the choc milk not long afterwards. After the third swig, I tasted off milk and threw my guts up. The choc milk was in date by three days and the taste of the ice cream (being sweeter than choc milk) had disguised the taste of the off milk. The milk must`ve been left out of cool storage long enough for it to go off before being placed on the shelf of the fridge in the shop. Might thought any way. I drink the choc milk first before eating the ice cream from then on.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » May 3rd, 2015, 12:37 pm

I reckon the government should tax import food so its the same price as local, then people would support local purely on financial reasons

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » May 6th, 2015, 12:02 pm

People like to talk big, but don't truly care about local. If they did they'd put up or shut up.

Plenty of 'slacktavism'. liking a post on facebook isn't making a difference. Watching ACA on telly doesn't make them holy.

The whole country is more than happy to winge and blame, but continue to not do a damn thing about it. We don't need more tax or oversight, If anyone wants to support local products then by buy it. It really is that simple. Sad fact is people would rather save 5c or be lazy then back what they say.

End rant, it just makes me very sad.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”