High Way purpose of white cross continuous lines ?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
zillah
I'm new, be nice!

High Way purpose of white cross continuous lines ?

Unread post by zillah » April 18th, 2015, 8:53 am

Dear folk

Friend of mine asking me purpose of the white cross continuous lines through high ways as below

http://imgur.com/39UOb6e

I tried to google it but couldn't find what I am looking for may be I didn't use a proper search phrase

Regards

kerry460
Need to get out more

Re: High Way purpose of white cross continuous lines ?

Unread post by kerry460 » April 18th, 2015, 8:57 am

speed detection from a plane or helicopter , used to be very common in WA , probably still are .

kerry
Mercedes Benz G WAGEN 300GD

zillah
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by zillah » April 18th, 2015, 9:02 am

Thanks kerry for that
Can you refer me to any online link you are aware of to read about them.
Just curios to know how it works does it have a sensor or are they connected to satellite,,,,,etc
Regards

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » April 18th, 2015, 9:12 am

Low tech. They are a set distance apart. The copper in the plane uses a stopwatch to time how long it takes a car to travel from one set to the next. If the car gets to the next set too soon, copper radios to a mate who pulls the car over.

zillah
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by zillah » April 18th, 2015, 9:27 am

Thanks for this clarification, in this case a plane or a helicopter has to fly on a low distance from a ground to spot those line easily otherwise they won't be able to see them.

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » April 18th, 2015, 10:14 am

The plane was at a reasonable height, a guy challenged the system in a WA court & won, there was too much error because of the plane's height, hand stopwatch etc so it was dropped.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » April 18th, 2015, 1:03 pm

^^^ Yeah, but that sort of thing is a rarity - far more get booked than get away with it, even if they argue it in court! And it doesn't necessarily need to be an airborne watcher, it can be someone stationed on the ground, just so long as they have a good view of both the start & finish marks!!

Then again, many more unmanned 'point to point' camera systems are being installed around the country, they just take a pic of each vehicle/number plate as it goes past, recording the time & date, then some distance down the road (5 km or maybe 105 km, doesn't matter) there is another camera that does the same thing. Both sets of pics are compared to see how long each vehicle took to drive between the two points and any that did it quicker than the speed limit allows score an expensive letter in the mail!! I believe Highway 1 has been prioritised for this, but it's happening all around the country.... :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

coxsy
Been here a while

Unread post by coxsy » April 18th, 2015, 1:18 pm

they tried the plane crap here,in NZ ,was dumped :lol:
point to point with two cameras , nannie state , or money ground money catching

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » April 18th, 2015, 1:28 pm

They did it around Taree NSW during the late 80's. It was rather an expensive way of policing, putting a few police and a pilot in a plane flying around for a few hours. They could only do it during clear weather and in the middle of the day which further limited the effectiveness.

I think it turned into joy flights for the traffic cops, anyway it was dropped but the signs stayed up. Same as lots of signs warning of cameras, to instill fear that you may be spotted in the hope of changing behavior :worry:

If you want to change driver behavior, you still cant beat a uniformed cop in a marked car... or some random bloke on a white BMW touring bike.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » April 18th, 2015, 1:32 pm

If they are still using it would need to be that the officer who intercepts and writes the ticket needs to be the one who detects the offence - from start to finish - or the chopper lands and the guy in the chopper speaks to the driver and writes the ticket.

I think the real issue with that type of booking is that the guy in the chopper/plane witnessed the offence and then the guy on the ground wrote out the ticket based on the evidence of the guy in the chopper.

The guy in the chopper is the actual informant of the offence and the guy on the ground is alleging an offence that he hasnt actually witnessed.

Which is "hearsay" and inadmissable in court - its a basic tenant of our legal system.

Also the offending motorist cannot check "the reading" , the stopwatch, to ensure that it is x amount of time as alleged by the guy in the chopper as you could if it is a radar on the ground .

If challenged the guy in the helicopter would need to appear in court to confirm the offence but the ticket would indicate a different officer intercepted the vehicle, spoke to the driver and wrote the ticket based on the information of another.

Nor is it admissable if the stopwatch is not a certified chronometer and has not been checked regularly for accuracy as are other speed detection devices. There are other issues with manual devices

And the measured distance needs to be measured with a certified tape measure ( metal ) and its accuracy needs to be checked on a regular basis to ensure that it is correct.

And those certifications need to be accepted by the court.

Too many issues with manual time over distance - other methods are more certain.

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

kerry460
Need to get out more

Unread post by kerry460 » April 18th, 2015, 3:08 pm

Chris , a lot of very valid points .
i think the whole idea is that most people will not challenge it , ; ie go to court .
either through ignorance or dont care enough about their rights ,
i have had a similar situation with a mobile phone , i was not using .
challenged it with info , prosecution dismissed .

and i was not using my phone , which is why i fought it .

kerry

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » April 18th, 2015, 3:58 pm

Kerry,

as i said, "IF" they are still using that method, given that its so easy to challenge I would be very very surprised if any states use it anymore. So I doubt that too many people would have to worry about challenging that type of booking.

Realistically , the whole Speed Camera in the Sky was an awareness program - flying a chopper at 400 bucks an hour plus Pilots & two Coppers wages plus Vehicles and the cost of any contested matters was an expensive way to get a booking / revenue. Not cost effective in todays business orientated policing parlance.

But as proof that it worked as an awareness program is the fact that those white lines are still being discussed :lol:

Re mobile phones, I was involved in a minor prang recently as a passenger, and stuck to the top left of the windscreen was a in-car camera which happened to record the other driver for approx 2 sec before the prang and very clearly at the moment of the prang with a mobile phone held to her ear.

When i mentioned it to her immediately after we got out of the vehicles to exchange names and addresses , as I had actually seen her on the phone, she flatly and vehemently denied it outright.

I said nothing about the camera as I didnt at that stage know it was there

Silly girl , damage did appear minor , it was a corporate car and the insurance company is now after her for an "at fault / she pays" claim and requested the footage and a statement from me ...........the company driver wasn't even going to say a damn thing about it, he thought the damage so minor that it wasn't worth the hassles .

When she denied being on the phone I convinced him to report the prang to his boss and insurance

Oh, He was wrong apparently - new cars are so expensive on parts and paint :eek: - she has nudged the whole front end a tad to the right :lol: :lol:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

kerry460
Need to get out more

Unread post by kerry460 » April 18th, 2015, 4:46 pm

mate , dash cams are wonderful .

you accuse me of what ??? would you like to look at the video of what you did ???

i do not need to say more . :) :)

kerry

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » April 18th, 2015, 5:01 pm

chris_stoffa
A lot of your first post is kind of irrelevant anyhow.

As discussed in another thread, evidence as such is not necessarily required as the officers can estimate speed.
No need to have a calibrated or certified device be it radar/tape measure/stopwatch etc.

viewt ... 1&t=157017
Cheers,

Nathan

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » April 18th, 2015, 5:38 pm

Timmo,

If you want to go around in circles again feel free to do it all on your own - they are two different issues.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”