Neighbors borewater smell what to do?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Re: Neighbors borewater smell what to do?

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 17th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Definately have EPA test it I agree! Note that organic matter may not emit odour until it hits the air, and/or sunlight/heat, as it decays on the ground. A lot of estates are reclaimed land, some of them drained swamp, whereas other estate construction and drainage systems could even divert low-laying water tables into a system that once ran clean. You can also get rain that flushes it somewhat, then it just comes back. You might even find after we've had cool weather, the swampy decay on the ground is not as prevalent.

This reminded me of a possum stuck/dying. It happened to another poster I think on this forum. It got wedged between a downpipe and house and was attracting flies. He couldn't find it initially.

My final theory is if you throw a bucket of mucky swamp material onto a lawn, and let the sun heat it for a while, you will get a rank over-powering smell, very much like creek mud that is alway wet and full of organic matter.

By all means, have it tested if you can get a sample. The lady sounds not entirely unapproachable and 'dobbing' without having a neighbourly chat can get her on the offensive. It's fortunate she was looking for a solution with you, so that's good news.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » March 19th, 2015, 10:44 am

Theres a stormwater drain running behind our houses too,maybe thats affecting it?
No one else seems to have this problem though. She had the water on this morning
and it was better. I use the term better lightly. See what happens i guess.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 23rd, 2015, 10:59 pm

Some of those drains wreak of stagnant water filled with rotting organic matter and what ever washes into them from people's yards, or paddocks, and off streets. It could very well be that your neighbour's bore is letting in that very stagnant water, like a channel running 10 or so meters from that source? Sounds like a permanent problem until council puts in storm pipes, or seals the drain with a concrete spoon drain floor!

If a water table is contaminated, it is an environmental issue to be dealt with. Tests need to be conclusive before council will put funding into an action, but need funding usually. There was mention of Bribie Island bore water in a previous post here too. Areas of that very water table is protected, as micro-organisms were found in abundance, and play a large part in balancing the underground ecosystem. As a result, impact studies must be carried out before development and construction is some of those areas. Bribie Island has many sensitive environment areas. My own opinion of EPA's poor protection of the Moreton Bay area is Government protects it's own a*se where litigation arises, and money + economy speaks louder than the environment. Ie: I would suggest EPA failed to protect the region, hence why so much sand has shifted in recent years (that's an obvious un-natural event EPA dismissed with 'their own findings.') So when it comes to Council, Government (inc EPA,) and expenditures, you probably won't get far is what I'm getting at. The environment always comes off second best, including your nose, as you appear to be alone in this. You could be in line for a significant court battle if you want it resolved, which would be so expensive. That you're better off selling and moving, or ask your neighbour to desist from using the water, which isn't going to happen most likely! Alternatively, start a local partition to have the easement piped and covered with lawn as a suggestion, then hope that resolves your problem over time, which could take a long time afterwards. Does is breed mosquitoes? Emit odour? Is a drowning/health hazard? I'd put money on it being the cause, unless the area is reclaimed swamp, perhaps why the drain was installed? Just ideas. I'm only interested, because these things are interesting. As a kid, I used to use my dad's post hole digger and drill down to a shallow clay water table, finding bits of old burnt bush in there, likely very old. I grew up with an easement behind our beck fence. It was a great place to play, very clean then, council partially completed the easement with pipes. Used to run/ride through, until they installed more, and they filled up with spiders and the occasional dead cat lol. I know of one such easement that is discusting. It runs through Redcliffe, Queensland. Some sections of that one are vomit worthy mud, and stagnant water. I know, because I crashed my push bike into it one night when my brakes failed going down a large hill :lol: I discovered how much of a menace easements can be :redface: Can't believe I'm admitting that!

It could be worse though, I think we live in a fairly lucky country, and spoil ourselves with comfortable homes, shopping malls, and luxury possessions, compared to how third world citizens live, particularly those is disaster zones. Almost all of them would gladly trade places with you :thumb:

Shakes.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » March 24th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Well the water is still being put on and still isnt pleasant. We are just going to learn to live
with it. To be honest our family has more pressing issues to deal with than bothering any further
with the water problem.

We stay inside and try not to open anything when it's on. I've been in this house for nearly
30 years and i'm not about to leave over this.

I'm sure a lot of people would love to have our life and we are blessed, but to have had
my father die in my arms recently and suddenly for no reason,mum developing dimentia
and me now having a permanent disability and running around in this joke of a system called
workers comp, it would be nice to have the house not smell of feces everyday. It creates
more cleaning,more money on fragrance things,incense,whatever and us being stuck in the house.
Mum cant even go out in the morning to enjoy it, or water the plants and see the dogs.

Anyway,whatever.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » March 25th, 2015, 11:08 am

Goldy, sorry to hear about all the issues going on in your life right now mate, I truly hope things improve for you and your family very soon.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » March 25th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Thanks les, that means a lot.

I just want go get my 4by going and get out there and enjoy this country like i used to.
Cruise along the beach,have a fish and cook up a storm under the awning and take the
boat out like i used to do with dad. My dad was my best friend.

She can put the borewater on all she wants now. I'm not really bothered.

None of this was going to come out and it's not shakers fault but after his post i just
wanted you guys to know we arent just whinging about something trivial and we are in a
big house living the dream and theres a slightly odd odour in the air.

This issue with the water smell was a descent one.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and ideas everyone.

Stay safe.

Cheers.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 25th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Nobody wants to live next to what smells like a sewerage treatment plant though, but you're willing to endure it. Sometimes odours can be a health hazard too, consider that.

Good onya Goldy. Hope the future holds up well for you. As for getting the 4wd up and running properly, lots of us are in the same boat. I had a lucky windfall with my Hilux, bought new since August 2010, used it off-road a small hand full of times, done what I can to it, kept it's servicing up, perhaps lost depreciation value in the vehicle and ageing mods enough to buy another older Hilux, that's just how it is. Otherwise my Lux has been a shopping trolley and highway runner all other times and not often used now we have the flog box old Prado. Hilux currently stands at 39,000km on the ODO. I just changed it's engine oil, before it started to sludge from sitting around. I've got stuff I want to fit to it, to complete it as a tourer, but it takes funds to fit certain things, that need other things that are on the back burner right now. The suspension lift, and trying to get a proper wheel alignment, including replacing all relevant bushings to support the bull bar has been an ongoing nightmare on this coil-over suspension, and I still can't find satisfaction with it! It all sits there as basically an unfinished tourer project, because of more pressing financial issues, including needing to buy more seating capacity, and fix that vehicle too. We tend to go without a lot, to try make ends meet, and get on track with a view our future will see hard times behind us, at which point I'll be more than happy to share travel media. I guess at the end of the day, we aren't as hard up as others, that wish they could have a just one 4wd, or a car for that matter. For us, either is a outright necessity, that must be reliable. 4wd modifications/parts are way over-priced, including what we pay for over-taxed + duty fees when vehicles come in Australia.

The GFC (not golden fried chicken,) inflation, and fuel costs soaring, which hurt a lot of families. As a result, among other issues, this forum's member activity plummeted. Only those that have cash to throw around are still actively off-roading/touring. Everyone else has a mortgage or rent to pay, whilst others are selling assets to make ends meet. It hasn't slowed the enthusiasm, nor dream to get out there though, even if one has to pitch in for fuel in a friend's 4wd. Bide your time, make it happen. I fix things up slowly, with proud goals in the distance.

PS: my dad passed away in '96.' I didn't see him for years. He was never a dad, so I don't miss him. He's loss did not go unfelt, like an unreal ending to someone I once knew. No fond memories anyway. I had problems of my own then too. Last time I saw him was he's death bed in intensive care, whilst I was showing him he's first two grandsons. He wasn't able to speak, nor barely able to lift he's arm to wave to them. That was the last time I saw him. He's funeral went unannounced, only to he's mistress, who was happy to have her son use dad's van to clean out he's possessions. No inheritance... meh. The rest of my family is self-centered in their own bubbles. I don't fit in their 'league,' and over making the effort all the time.' I live a long way from them alone with my partner and children. They are unaware of the new baby girl, sad... It's not like I have a single tattoo, swear in front of them, or sponge of them or anything like that. I don't smoke or do drugs either. I've always been helpful toward them. To top it all off, yesterday I had a bottom wisdom tooth pulled :lol:

Life sucks, but it's what you make of what you have or can achieve to make it the best you can. You're lucky to have a home I assure you. So many on the rental roundabout, unable to obtain a home of our own, basically homeless. Perhaps in saying all this, you'd be right in taking a deep breathe through the nose when it smells the worst, essentially, 'smell the roses' if you can appreciate the metaphor :thumb:

Shakes.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » March 25th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Reading things online when people open up really hammers home just how much life is full of turns, for both good and bad.
On another forum, a fellow there has a sig line that I liked, and is very apt for this moment . . .
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about."

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » March 25th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Couldnt say it better myself.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 25th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Good one Les! :thumb:

pquin2010
Been here a while

Unread post by pquin2010 » November 22nd, 2015, 1:35 am

Les - PK Ranger wrote: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about."
Knew I'd heard that quote recently somewhere. Had to google it. Wendy Mass. A variation of John Watson's quote.

Very apt. Even more so with every passing day. Be kind and tolerant with everyone.

Pete

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » November 22nd, 2015, 10:17 am

Bit hard sometimes being kind and tolerant to everyone, some people just don't deserve it.

The water still stinks by the way :D

I keep thinking someone hasn't flushed the toilet, then realise her waters on.
Hopefully after it's been on for a few weeks it "purges" itself or something.
One can only hope.

I'm beyond caring at this point.

pquin2010
Been here a while

Unread post by pquin2010 » November 22nd, 2015, 11:47 am

I've been in your position before with a painful neighbour. Luckily I was renting and a shift worker so I moved house In the middle of the night.

Right now I have a less painful neighbour whose kids throw their duplo blocks at me dog to get him to bark. One of my other hobbies is restoring vintage mowers so I wait until they have guests over or a party or whatever (Which is quite common for them) and I take the loudest machine I have at the time and let it run next to the fence for hours. Depending how annoying they are I'll have 2 or 3 running :)

This is of course after I spoke to them about the kids several times. and nothing had changed. I've also told the kids if they throw one more thing at him I'll take the fence down and let him into their yard. My dog sounds and looks fierce but really wouldn't hurt a sole. They threw something else so I pretended to dismantle the fence. Boy did they RUN! Cruel? Maybe but I would never let the dog near them. The dog might catch something :)

Pete

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » November 22nd, 2015, 3:24 pm

That's hilarious, 2 or 3 mowers running :lol:

Pull the mufflers off.

My neighbour on the other side is a champ but also has two young kids (into their teens now)
that used to lean over the fence and taunt my little staffy. Until one day the dad saw my dog
jumping up to the fence height and looking over at him.

I have an American staffy and a 6ft, super six fence isn't hard for him to scale over.
I
The kids where laughing and winding him up and he could of taken their faces off at
any minute. lol.

The old lady on the other side has nothing better to do than start dramas, I feel a bit sorry for her.
Her husband was the same.

We had a neighbour years ago shoot our cat on Christmas eve with a bow and arrow and come into
the house and bleed to death on our lounge suite. My dad confronted him and being a coward
he wouldn't even come to the door.

His new saab turbo caught fire that week. Then they moved out.

pquin2010
Been here a while

Unread post by pquin2010 » November 22nd, 2015, 5:36 pm

^^^

Sorry to hear about the cat! There are some sick twisted people around.

The old saying "they want attention it doesn't matter if its good attention or bad attention" comes to mind.

Good to hear the neighbour got what he had coming!

Pete

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”