Neighbors borewater smell what to do?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Goldylux
Avid Poster

Neighbors borewater smell what to do?

Unread post by Goldylux » March 10th, 2015, 10:49 am

Hey all just after some advice.

I have an elderly neighbor that has bore water running every morning. The smell is
terrible. Not just a bit unpleasant, but foul.

We keep our windows open most of the day as we dont have a/c but after her water
has been on for a while the smell gets into the house and is hard to get rid of. Not
only this but when it's on we cant go outside because it makes us physically sick and
majority of the time end up running inside to vomit or being sick in the garden and waiting
until the water stops.

The only way i can describe the smell is human poo. That is literally what it smells like
and it is thick. I have left early in the morning and come back in the afternoon to find
the whole house stinking of human waste,that day i actually checked the toilet and
surrounds until i worked out what it was.

The lady is old,she is a trouble maker in the street and has given us grief for 20 odd years
but i just dont know what to do. I'm usually not one to complain or cause problems.
This morning i tried to put a belt on my car to drive it and got a mouthful of the smell,
i ended up being sick in the engine bay. Now i have to clean that and after waiting inside
for the water to stop i was late for an appointment.

I dont know whether she can smell it or doesnt care,i dont want her to be stressed out
or have to pay for a whole new bore or whatever but we are prisoners in our house
every morning and its getting a bit tired. Car windows have to be wound up and everything
needs to be washed more often,the smell gets into everything.

Not to mention our other neighbors watching me being sick in the driveway. It's a bit
embarrassing.

I have used some pretty ordinary drop out toilets in my time. Not one was as
bad as the smell coming from that water.

Any advice would be good as to what to do or whats causing it.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: Neighbors borewater smell what to do?

Unread post by chris_stoffa » March 10th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Have a chat with EPA WA, seems Sec 53 might cover the problem - Residential houses are included in "prescribed premises" ( Sec 3 )
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinod ... uery=odour

You could also try your local council, you have the right to "quiet enjoyment of your house" without foul smells -

if its as bad as what you say then a joint approach by yourself and your other neighbors to either body should add some weight to the complaint.

Or go knock on the door and tell her her farts stink :lol: - have you approached her ?, would be a good start I reckon

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT 1986 - SECT 53
53 . Prescribed premises, restrictions as to changes to etc.
(1) Subject to this Act, the occupier of any prescribed premises who, if to do so may cause an emission, or alter the nature or volume of the waste, noise, odour or electromagnetic radiation emitted, from the prescribed premises —
(a) alters the method of operation of any trade, or of any process used in any trade, carried on at the prescribed premises; or
(b) constructs, installs or alters any equipment on the prescribed premises for —
(i) the storage, handling, transport or treatment of waste prior to, and for the purpose of, the discharge of waste; or
(ii) the control of noise, odour or electromagnetic radiation prior to, and for the purpose of, the emission or transmission of noise, odour or electromagnetic radiation,
into the environment; or
(c) alters the type of materials or products used or produced in any trade carried on at the prescribed premises; or
(d) alters the type of fuel used in any fuel burning equipment or industrial plant in any trade carried on at the prescribed premises; or
(e) installs, alters or replaces any fuel burning equipment or industrial plant on the prescribed premises or carries out any work on the prescribed premises which is the beginning of, or any subsequent step in, that installation, alteration, replacement or carrying out,
commits an offence unless he does so —
(f) in accordance with —
(i) a works approval; or
(ii) a licence; or
(iii) a requirement contained in a closure notice or an environmental protection notice,
as the case requires; or
(g) only in the course of and for the purpose of general maintenance required to maintain the efficient operation of any pollution control equipment or procedure.
(2) Subject to this Act, the occupier of any prescribed premises who in or on the prescribed premises —
(a) carries out any work which is the beginning of, or any subsequent step in, any work referred to in subsection (1)(a) to (e) if the completion of the alteration, construction, installation or replacement concerned might cause an emission, or alter the nature or volume of the waste, noise, odour or electromagnetic radiation emitted, from the prescribed premises; or
(b) constructs, relocates or alters any discharge or emission pipe, channel or chimney through which waste is or may be discharged into the environment from the prescribed premises or carries out any work which is the beginning of, or any subsequent step in, any such construction, relocation or alteration,
commits an offence unless he does so —
(c) in accordance with —
(i) a works approval; or
(ii) a licence; or
(iii) a requirement contained in a closure notice or an environmental protection notice,
as the case requires; or
(d) only in the course of and for the purpose of general maintenance required to maintain the efficient operation of any pollution control equipment or procedure.

[Section 53 amended by No. 54 of 2003 s. 40 and 71.]
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 10th, 2015, 8:54 pm

Nice one above with the information. Went out of your way for that ^^^. Document time and date of a conversation with the lady and if she gets narky after being pleasant fails. Quote regulations, and state you will be forced to file a formal complaint with council, and further legal action should she fail to comply. Say this in an assertive, and confident tone. Have your smart phone recording in you front pocket, so you can write it word for word, because recordings without knowledge or consent are inadmissable as evidence. Have a witness also next to you. State they were there with you as well. This is only if she retaliates and keeps doing it.

Sounds like it's decomposing organic matter, of possibly seepage from sullage pits getting into the swampy water table? Filtering the water may reduce the stink too. Something like a small sand filter? Perhaps that may be a solution you can look into to ensure it works before suggesting it. Downside though, would she maintain it?

Don't worry about stressing her. The drama she seems to like may simply be bordom or lonely. Offer to help with a solution if you are in any position to do so. Sometimes acting as a friend or passing compliments can shut down negative attitudes in difficult people. Up to you.

Was there carrot in it?

Shakes.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » March 11th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

It has been passed on to the council. Little did i know but it is actually a
health issue if it's that bad. The lady on the phone asked was it a rotten egg smell,
my answer was "i wish it was"

I felt bad at the start but remembering all the grief she has put our family through over
the years i just rang the council.

I dont think she would have done anything herself but she has family members that look after
her property that should be able to sort it out, hopefully.

I'm actually surprised no one else has complained.

The water wasnt on today which was interesting but time will tell.

I think some old people have nothing better to do than complain about stuff in the street.
We have had the council around saying to cut our trees away from the power
lines (werent even close) we had a short novel of paperwork left at our door for what you
need to keep chickens. (had two chooks) ended up just getting rid of them.

Anyone who parks near her house gets letters put on their windscreens saying the car will be reported.
Failing this she knocks on doors to find out whos car it is and makes them move it. She even rang
the council and complained about a skip bin on our verge. A skip bin the council provided.

This has gone on for decades and up until now we have never complained about her.

She actually walks into the street with her phone and looks for things. I caught her one day
going through a bin over the road. She was checking that the recycling bin wasnt being used for
something else apparently.

Anyway.

Cheers.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » March 11th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Never know the poor old dear nosey bissy body thing might just be a front,you might have a hydroponic drug den and meth lab sitting next door and she's worth millions ...LOL.
Either that or the old dear is pumping out the septic tank onto the gardens and grass to keep them nice and green .
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » March 11th, 2015, 7:38 pm

^^^ When our area was still using "on-site" sewage disposal, ie seep-away, enviro-cycles or pump-out, the amount of black water that finished up going down the gutter.... particularly with the exorbitant "you only pay what you use" pump-out charges.... Ahh this was back in days around the Sydney Olympics where nothing else mattered...

For locals ie NSWers, who remembers the Wallis Lake oyster contamination, and the Karuah caravan park episode and the giardia/cryptosporidium in Warragamba Dam?

Getting onto Council is the best thing there G. Hope it gets sorted out fast. Bore water shouldn't smell like organic waste, even if it is sulphurous. With all the bore water used for gardening in Perth, I can't say I have smelt it, and I visit fairly regularly these days.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 12th, 2015, 9:18 am

Agree. Bore water needs to be tested to establish if it is fit for use (obviously it isn't!) If tests show organic pollutants, where is the source of the pollutants. Sounds like the bore needs to be capped off. Or more like swap water table or coming from a swamp source or worse. I've heard of egg producers throwing old batches of out-of-date eggs nown deep shafts. Sounds that bad!!! Yuk mate.

On another note, contacting council without trying to sort it out with her wilk most likely make her retaliate. But then again, it sounds futile and she's going to stay on the war path no matter how you handle her. Council also will make sure you are following regulations, so nothing bites you after filing complaint. Let us know how it all goes for you huh?

Shakes.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » March 12th, 2015, 9:50 am

speaking of councils there is a very handy little app that anyone can use to notify your local council of issues

AU-My Council - install and then set it up for your council ( can be used in other council areas, just change the council location )

you can add pictures, story and send your issues that way, very handy for any issues like trees down in parks, unsafe play equipment , abandoned vehicles , pot holes or broken footpaths etc or any issue that you think that they should deal with.

And they MUST answer / respond to you as most councils have accepted it as an official form of contact. Its also excellent for keeping log of your contact and interaction with the council on issues

Council workers have a love hate relationship with it, it creates a heap of work for them but it also is an excellent way of doing business for them.

Highly recommend it - have used it a number of times in the past 2 years

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » March 12th, 2015, 9:59 am

Short of her reading this thread or someone she knows reading it she wont know it was me,
if she does i dont care. It's just too far gone and any sense of trying to sort things out between ourselves
is just a waste of time.

If she complains about something we fix it,even if it doesnt need it,i dont park outside her house,
ive even blocked the side of our house off so the dogs dont go near her. I've done everything i can
over the years to just keep her quiet.

It's never enough.

Now the time has come for her to do something.

The last one was her coming over saying as she always does "not trying to cause trouble but..."
then handing me a bit of paper about some law saying only cars of the house or people going into
that house can park outside or something. I scrunched it up and threw it in the bin.

I tell everyone to not go near her now.

I had a mate park (on MY verge) with two wheels on the kerb. She came over and lectured
me on how car tyres can destroy the kerbing.

I could write a 400 page book with all the things her and her husband have done over the years.

When she does things i just let it go,this time it's too much.

Again,the water wasnt on this morning....hmmm...

Ill let you know what happens.

I'm guessing people like this are everywhere and she's not the only one.

I think she needs a hobby. A different hobby.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » March 12th, 2015, 10:09 am

Goldylux wrote: I think she needs a hobby. A different hobby.
You could suggest she try one involving Sex and Travel :D

I would suggest , that by the sounds of her past that she has a few other issues besides just cars parked on kerbs :rolleyes:
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » March 15th, 2015, 1:09 pm

It dawned on me that the smell might be something more sinister? 1/ Where is her husband? I saw an article posted on LiveLeak about a woman that slept with her deceased husband for a couple years in an appartment. When they discovered the body, it was in advanced stages of decomposition. It had litterally dropped it's guts in bed and everything... talk about duch oven! She was sleeping with it. Neighbours didn't smell it, is why it went on for so long. Perhaps it's why she's obcessed with making everyone's life down with hers? 2/ Not having the endurance or strengh to bury something deep enough, so DID she have any old pets you haven't seen for a while? How long has this bore been there and why just now has it raised concern? 3/ In general, have you ever walked into an unclean residence of an elderly person? Does she open her windows before going into the garden? It's likely the bore water though, but I'd gasp if it were something more provocative, than just a nose offence. I need to stay off those mind corrupting websites :lol:

Shakes.

Pajo

Unread post by Pajo » March 15th, 2015, 6:55 pm

Ha ha, you should try living on Bribie Island there is a whole suburb there where every house has a bore and it is so nice when everyone waters their yard on the same day.

Peter.
A HOUSE IS A MANS CASTLE..............WHEN THE WIFE IS OUT.

Goldylux
Avid Poster

Unread post by Goldylux » March 16th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Jesus christ where is thread going. hahaha.

Well she came over saying someone dobbed her in and i said
that i did because the water is out of hand.

Ended up going to her house and turning it on. No smell. I stood there and thought
"now i look good" shes even going "see no smell" I was amazed. Very amazed right up until
the point where the wind shifted and i copped a mouthful of this stuff. I couldnt even stand next to it.

She can't smell it. At all. Then said the lady that came over from council only noticed a feint smell.
It took quite a bit of self control to not burst out laughing at this point.

Ended up back at my place with her and her water going and she wanted a second opinion. So i go
to my other nieghbors house and told him whats happening,that day he was crook and couldnt smell anything
( just my bloody luck) but said he'd come over anyway.

I showed him to go up our driveway near my garage and see if he could smell anything.
He said no. He then smelled it and was gasping saying it really chokes you up. While this
was happening i was vomiting heavily into the yard.

Luckily her sons ok and he came over and had a yarn to us, i was inside still and
didnt hear much of what was said but theyre definatly getting something done.
I did hear them say something about putting it on at night,dunno.

Normal borewater smell is tolerable but this is on another planet. Week old mulies in a
bucket havent got much on this smell.
Last edited by Goldylux on March 19th, 2015, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » March 16th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Mate, I'd get a sample (or EPA can do that) and have it tested.
Some doesn't smell right there (pun intended, but it's no laughing matter, sorry about that :))

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » March 16th, 2015, 10:52 pm

I still reckon theyve tapped it into an old septic or sewer..
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”