Metal/Scrap recycling value?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Metal/Scrap recycling value?

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 22nd, 2015, 8:52 am

djh14 wrote:I just put a heap of stuff like that out the front lawn with a big "free" sign on it. Was all gone by the time I got home from work,even the sign. Easy.
Or to REALLY get it gone fast, put it out the front overnight with a price on it !!
9natho9 wrote:we recently scrapped a dual cab triton (just bare shell) and a few other bits and pieces, came to about 250kg all up, and got less than $5 for the lot, not even enough to cover fuel costs, but still better than paying to take it to the tip
Did you take it in or was it picked up ?

Mackay being a reasonable town, would have expected a bit of competition and maybe a little more for 1/4 tonne . . . maybe it is just that low now, but doubt it.
There's also the distance to freight it as well, I guess.

Steel taken in to a depot should be getting around $120 a tonne now, I just phone mine down the road to check and that's their current price.
As mentioned before, I got $200 a tonne some years ago for 2 loads, the old double garrage and a work load collected over a decade or more.

Nemesis
Admin

Unread post by Nemesis » January 22nd, 2015, 6:02 pm

So it was worth the 20 min drive, vs 10min to tip for free drop off. Seems I had quite some steel, the batteries and stainless are worth good $ though. Only had old batteries as I didn't want to dump them in the bin and didn't know previously they bought them...

Nemesis 3 - Turbo FZJ105 Cruiser. Live Axles & Grunt = See Ya!

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » January 22nd, 2015, 8:53 pm

Better than a poke in the eye hey ?

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » January 25th, 2015, 5:49 am

Used to get a carton of VB for a car shell, check the hot water system if the tank is copper, that's worth a few bucks. Copper wire is worth a bit if you strip it out out of the white goods. The copper wire in the electrical cable is worth a bit if you strip the insulation off it. Not allowed to light a fire & throw the cable on, burns the insulation & leaves the copper. You know, don't get caught.

Darknight
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Darknight » January 25th, 2015, 9:41 am

Although obviously with the price of Iron ore a lot lower than it once was I'd expect a corresponding drop with scrap.

9natho9
Been here a while

Unread post by 9natho9 » January 25th, 2015, 8:18 pm

Les

we took it in, i rang them 6 months or so ago when i decided to ditch the cab, and they told $20/tonne for car body, so thats abit off from the $120/tonne you're saying, but it works out to $5 for a 1/4 tonne atleast, and yea as said, better than a poke in the eye, i think i might ring around before i ditch the chassis and engine (unless anyone here is interested in a mj triton chassis and 4d56 block and cracked head, doubt it) see if i can get a better price

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » January 27th, 2015, 9:39 pm

9natho9 wrote:we recently scrapped a dual cab triton (just bare shell) and a few other bits and pieces, came to about 250kg all up, and got less than $5 for the lot, not even enough to cover fuel costs, but still better than paying to take it to the tip
In Sydney so many people will come & remove old cars for free cause they make enough money from the weight of the scrap so it may just be your location.

Cheers TLC60S

TOY80ST
Been here a while

Unread post by TOY80ST » March 5th, 2015, 7:09 am

I'm a yard manager at Sims metal,

Some people make heaps out of scrap. A lot of guys that come in usually have about what you had Bryan. Batteries are one of our biggest items I usually buy around 2 to 3 ton a week. People love to get rid of copper it is worth the most. Nickel is the highest value but it isn't readily available to the general public. The price for steel is way down at the moment. You would have got about 180 per ton for that 12 months ago.

With the comments to cars. They attract an environmental levy so that is why you don't get much for them and its the same for white goods. The insulation, plastics and rubber degrade the material.

To get the best value for money separate everything so that it is the same product otherwise you will get down graded. For example. Keep your brass and copper separate or you will get domestic copper value which is much lower than clean copper tube. There are two basic types of brass. One is honey brass and the other is coast brass. Honey brass has all the plastics and steels removed from it where Honey brass is just that.

Give it a go. I know a few guys that just strip things down of a night time and bring it in when they have a fair bit. Stops them sitting on the lounge watching TV or knocking back a carton or two.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”