Have you ever fixed your own teeth?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Re: Have you ever fixed your own teeth?

Unread post by jfoldbar » November 30th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Chuck Steak wrote:
That's not particularly smart - acid is the last thing you should be putting on your teeth. I've explained the chemistry of the process here http://drchemical.com.au/
says the man who put kneadit in his mouth?

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » November 30th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Chuck Steak wrote:
BTW, when they advertise an adhesive as food safe, they usually assume you have let it cure and the solvent has evaporated off.
It doesn't evaporate - it's a thermoset polymer, which means that it reacts chemically and irreversibly to form an inert solid
True, I generalise. Whatever the process the end state is not necessarily the same as the beginning state.

djh14
Here and there

Unread post by djh14 » November 30th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Holy crap. I think this is one of the saddest things I've read on a forum. Please got to a dentist and get sorted.

Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Unread post by Chuck Steak » December 1st, 2014, 1:01 am

jfoldbar wrote:
Chuck Steak wrote:
That's not particularly smart - acid is the last thing you should be putting on your teeth. I've explained the chemistry of the process here http://drchemical.com.au/
says the man who put kneadit in his mouth?
Correct. Did you have a point?
Please got to a dentist and get sorted.
Get what sorted?

One thing I've just noticed - this repair has meant that I can now drink icy cold drinks without getting zapped. No doubt the epoxy is now sitting on top of the amalgam, which is a material that was never noted for its thermal insulation properties - one reason why the industry moved away from them and onto epoxies.

I love the Walmart product. I wonder what it is. I wonder why it's not marketed in Oz?

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » December 1st, 2014, 9:55 am

Next week you'll be able to pee your pants without feeling it too.

Two out of the three dental techs I know peed theirs laughing when I showed them this - the third is away on holidays.....

Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Unread post by Chuck Steak » December 3rd, 2014, 12:54 am

Next week you'll be able to pee your pants without feeling it too.
Would I? Why would that be? What does urinating in your pants have to do with the topic of this thread?
Two out of the three dental techs I know peed theirs laughing when I showed them this - the third is away on holidays.....
Oh, wait - that's the connection - I get it now. Tell them to go to a uroligist - they'll probably be able to help them with that problem.

Dental techs huh?

Do they have PhDs in Chemistry?
Would they be able to explain the chemistry of teeth to you?
Would they be able to explain the chemistry of adhesion to you?
Would they understand the chemistry of a thermoset polymer (you know, like the ones that dentists use)?

Get back to me with some answers and I'll give them marks out of 10.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 3rd, 2014, 5:08 am

ImageImageImageImageImage
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » December 3rd, 2014, 5:59 am

GBC wrote:Next week you'll be able to pee your pants without feeling it too.

Enjoy the holiday dental techs, we've made you redundant.

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » December 3rd, 2014, 7:13 am

Well its not something I would do to avoid a dentist.
It is an interesting stop gap if you damaged a tooth on a very remote trip. Would have to be desperate after reading the msds.
I would probably take a dedicated dental adhesive kit and use that rather than use kneadit.
The dentist would be the first port of call when I got back to civilization.

Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Unread post by Chuck Steak » December 3rd, 2014, 7:46 am

What was it about the MSDS that worried you? The most you could say is that the phenols in the reactants are skin irritants, but I knew that anyway. And it's the phenol groups that participate in the polymerisation process, so once is sets they have disappeared.
MSDS have often been a source of amusement to me. I came across one for a lens cleaner for safety glasses once and the PPE that they recommended was was safety glasses had to be worn. Which could make the process of cleaning your safety glasses a little complicated.

And there's absolutely no need for me to go to a dentist if it's still holding, which it is. And the dentist would only reproduce what I have just done (albeit more precisely).

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » December 3rd, 2014, 8:44 am

WTF do you think techs make teeth from? Ceramics still? And I use a tube of his superglue (not superglue at all) on my fishing knots - like I said, he's a mate. I wear a couple of his crowns.
He also casts my lure heads out of vacuum bagged epoxy at night time for shits and giggles while he's waiting for the kiln.
He also works with a maxillo facial surgeon (another mate) implanting titanium nutserts into smashed jaws then recreating people's teeth and faces after they have been through windscreens or had cancer, but hey wtf would he know about the products he's made his living from for the last 30 years and now lectures on as well?
When your home dentistry goes to crap and you develop an abcess in the jaw sent me a PM, I'll hook you up with some guys who actually know what they are doing.
PHd in chemistry? The material's already invented mate. If whatever you are using has polished off in a few days I'd suggest you go find someone who has one or better still just use what the pros use.

Bouncin Betty
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Bouncin Betty » December 3rd, 2014, 10:37 am

We used to use spakfilla back in the 70s when out in the bush for a quick fix but it doesn't last long.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » December 3rd, 2014, 5:39 pm

Bouncin Betty wrote:We used to use spakfilla back in the 70s when out in the bush for a quick fix but it doesn't last long.
its cause spakfilla doesnt like getting wet. so you gotta shove dry sand in your mouth to stop the saliva building up and wetting the spakfilla.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » December 3rd, 2014, 5:50 pm

C'mon guys, play nice please.... ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » December 3rd, 2014, 5:57 pm

foogill wrote:
Enjoy the holiday dental techs, we've made you redundant.
.........and the post of the day award goes to ^^^^^^^^^

:thumb:

:D
Cheers,

Nathan

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”