Have you ever fixed your own teeth?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Re: Have you ever fixed your own teeth?

Unread post by Chuck Steak » December 6th, 2014, 9:15 am

WTF do you think techs make teeth from? Ceramics still?
Yes, I'd imagine they are a ceramic of some sort. Just like teeth.
And I use a tube of his superglue (not superglue at all) on my fishing knots - like I said, he's a mate. I wear a couple of his crowns.
He also casts my lure heads out of vacuum bagged epoxy at night time for ******* and giggles while he's waiting for the kiln.
He also works with a maxillo facial surgeon (another mate) implanting titanium nutserts into smashed jaws then recreating people's teeth and faces after they have been through windscreens or had cancer, but hey wtf would he know about the products he's made his living from for the last 30 years and now lectures on as well?
Yes, so they're epoxies. Just like I said. Just like knead-it. What was your point? Oh yes, you are telling me that I was right. Thanks for the confirmation.
When your home dentistry goes to crap and you develop an abcess in the jaw sent me a PM, I'll hook you up with some guys who actually know what they are doing.
When?
PHd in chemistry? The material's already invented mate.
I know. That's why I used it. What was your point?
If whatever you are using has polished off in a few days I'd suggest you go find someone who has one or better still just use what the pros use
No doubt the dental product is a different grade. But it's also a whole lot more expensive, without justification. It's just an epoxy. If this one fails I just rebuild it.

BTW it's still holding firm. And I've even now started chewing on it (but only soft stuff)

djh14
Here and there

Unread post by djh14 » December 6th, 2014, 11:57 am

If you can't afford a dentist your probably only eating 2min noodles anyway. So you'll be fine.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » December 6th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Chuck Steak

just curious. if you ever needed implants, would you want to save the $280 per screw and buy some stainless steel screws from bunnings. cause they are way more expensive without justification.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » December 6th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Stainless grades are not in the same league as epoxy. People can have a reaction to the nickle content in steel, that's why piercings are available in a number of specific alloys. I would not expect epoxy to be as active from a chemical point of view.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 6th, 2014, 8:16 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

This has now got twice as good ;)
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Unread post by Chuck Steak » December 20th, 2014, 11:39 pm

jfoldbar

I can see that you're what they call an "ideas man"

I've lost track. Are you the bloke with the friends with the urinary problems? Have they got that seen to yet?

BTW, tooth fix is still going strong. Hey, I'm as surprised as you are......

Heisenberg
Been here a while

Unread post by Heisenberg » March 25th, 2016, 8:44 pm

Thought I'd update this. The original repair finally wore away after 16 months, so I used the same roll of Knead-It to fix it again. More money saved :lol:

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » March 26th, 2016, 7:49 am

Did you change your username without telling us? You know this causes uncertainty...

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » March 26th, 2016, 10:27 am

V Williamson wrote:Did you change your username without telling us? You know this causes uncertainty...
i was thinking the same thing.
heisenberg came to us at the same time as chuck steaks last login.

buffer
Avid Poster

Unread post by buffer » March 29th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Yep fixed my own tooth, not the extreme as this tread but still, Just this Australia day 2016 was holidaying on Moreton Island and my front crown fell off in my hand. So glad i did not swallow it. Well after searching for the Ambo's only to find out they can not assist and they are not even allowed to put stitches in to some poor bugger all they can do basically is put a band aid on, i finally made my way to the shop and purchased some superglue, dried the tooth and crown, two drops and in goes the crown, well that was not pleasant but it did the job and still going strong. $1800 saved.
100 series 4.2TD, 2" lift, ARB twin lockers, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar with brushbars and sidesteps, 12000lb winch, supernova driving lights and custom made aluminium rack with awning, ARB dual rear bar, dual batteries, Airbag assists rear.

Heisenberg
Been here a while

Unread post by Heisenberg » April 2nd, 2016, 10:51 am

Yep, superglue is amazing stuff, and is what dentists use to attach crowns anyway.

The reason is works so well is due to the adhesion mechanism. Most glues say that the surfaces must be "dry and free of grease", because if you go down to microscopic level and look at most surfaces they are uneven, wet and dirty. The problem this causes with most glues (that mostly work by adsorption or hydrogen bonding) is that the adhesive sits on top of the oil or water and doesn't interact with the surface very well, so adhesion is linited.

Superglues, however, are water-activated acrylate polymers. That is, water on the surface actually initiates the curing process. If the surface is completely dry it will never set. That's why superglues only work on surfaces that are at least partially hydrophilic, so that they will adsorb moisture from the atmosphere.

So this process kills two birds with one stone - it initiates the reaction quickly, causing it to set in seconds, and also the fact that the reaction sucks up the water means that there is more intimate contact with the adhesive than is normally possible wirth adhesives.

So having cleaned and dried your teeth, you have removed all but the monolayer of water adsorbed to the surface, which is exactly what you want, and the reason why it worked so well.

And yes, Heisenberg aka Chuck Steak. I ran into a problem with logins s omehow, so set up a more chemistry related ID. But I don't make ice....

buffer
Avid Poster

Unread post by buffer » April 6th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Never knew that and great info for the future, so i really could leave it for ever without any problems.

Cheers
100 series 4.2TD, 2" lift, ARB twin lockers, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar with brushbars and sidesteps, 12000lb winch, supernova driving lights and custom made aluminium rack with awning, ARB dual rear bar, dual batteries, Airbag assists rear.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » April 7th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Superglue is a standard for emergency trauma surgery.

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » April 15th, 2016, 4:04 pm

That's right it is the suture material you can use when you don't have sutures available. There is some use in it sticking to skin after all!

Oh yes and for the record the composite that dentists use isn't epoxy resin, it is methracylate resin with a short blue light activated polymerizer, it is not a thermosetting resin. The white colour comes from silica dust.

It is actually closer to the stuff that windscreen repairers use to fix cracks in laminated windscreens. That resin is UV polymerised, but I guess it would be a bit hazzardous for a Dentist to have to wave a UV light around all day.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”