Have you ever fixed your own teeth?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Have you ever fixed your own teeth?

Unread post by Chuck Steak » November 28th, 2014, 11:05 pm

Have you ever fixed your own teeth. I'm finding that my teeth have so many fillings in them that bits are starting to break off. When I go in to get them fixed they no longer use mercury amalgams, but UV-curing polymers.

So I asked myself - if all I need is a rapid setting epoxy polymer, why can't I do it myself.

Here's the stuff I used. - http://www.selleys.com.au/putty/epoxy/k ... i-purpose/

Preparation is all important to get it to adhere. First I rinsed my mouth with listerine, to make sure any bacteria were removed that could get under the repair. Then I got a cotton bud and used metho to clean the area, then acetone (to ensure the area was dry where I was doing the repair. An alternative here would be compressed air (which is what dentists use anyway. Then I mixed up the stuff until it was uniform, and just held it in place until it set (a couple of minutes).

And it worked. It was bit rough at first, but it smoothed off by itself after a couple of days (I thought I was going to have to sand it) and it's been holding firm for a week now. I haven't been doing any serious chewing on it, just mushy stuff, but so far so so good. So I've saved myself several hundred dollars.

And I have a backup plan in case it does come out. If this happens it will be perfectly moulded to the area it was in, so I can then just use super-glue to put it back in (which is all dentists use I think when you're getting a crown). This is an area where super glue will work particularly well, as it is dependent upon moisture to initiate the polymerisation process - thus the moisture on the surface of the teeth is consumed in the setting process and an irreversible bond is formed.

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: Have you ever fixed your own teeth?

Unread post by monkeybucket » November 28th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Mmmmmm...chemicals...I would get it checked...many deaths have come about from poor teeth hygene. It is the gateway to your blood stream after all ...

Was interesting to read though...keen to see how it goes...it does say its drinking water safe so not sure how it could be harmfull...

Maybe something the doc isn't telling us...would laugh if the Dentist has a pile of the suff in the cupboard and just charging an arm and leg to squash it in ya mouth... :D
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » November 29th, 2014, 5:59 am

if it smoothed off itself after a couple of days, that means it will wear away quickly too., and where did the smoothed off stuff go? you swallowed it. as monkey bucket said, chemicals. just because its safe with drinking water doesnt mean its safe in your mouth.
your playing with fire, just to save a few hundred bucks
if you break your leg, will you duct tape it to save going to get plaster?

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » November 29th, 2014, 7:37 am

I like to save a dollar too but I am not sure if I would go that far.

old4t2
Here and there

Unread post by old4t2 » November 29th, 2014, 8:21 am

Around 30 years ago my upper denture broke in half. (Dropped on the tiled floor one night when cleaning). Anyway I used 5 minute Araldite to make a quick repair. Worked for a few weeks then plate separated. After that tried various glues and adhesives I had laying around and at most they lasted from a day to a week or two. Then I very carefully fibre-glassed them with a soft mat strip and epoxy mix. That lasted around two years until one day I bit onto a bone that I misjudged and broke it in 3 places. Had to go to the dentist and get a new one then. Still have it.

The glues tasted like ***** at first but the taste soon wore off. The chemicals couldn't have been too bad back then as I am still kicking 30years on.
Ambling along trying to keep out of trouble.

Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Unread post by Chuck Steak » November 29th, 2014, 8:26 am

jfoldbar wrote:. just because its safe with drinking water doesnt mean its safe in your mouth.
Actually, that's exactly what it means. It's chemically inert. And if it wears away I just redo it.

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » November 29th, 2014, 8:57 am

Never fixed one though have pulled the remains of a front one out after breaking it at work, multy grips out of the tool box and a bit of wrenching [ made the eyes water a bit ] looking in a mirror, seemed to get it all, packed the hole with a bit of wadding from the first aid kit went back to work and off to the dentist when I got back home for a check up .
A Maori bloke I knew fixed his dentures with superglue, poisoned his mouth and got a realy bad abscess from it, took two of us to hold him down even after we got him strapped into the dentist chair, made for an exciting visit to the dentist ..
You do realize you can get proper filling kits though http://www.dentistinabox.com.au/
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » November 29th, 2014, 9:31 am

I know a guy who used Plasti-Bond to fix his cavities. He dropped some brick cleaning acid into each cavity with an eye dropper, dried it off and packed them with epoxy. Was OK at first, but the cavities continued to rot and grow under the epoxy. Eventually his mates made him go to the dentist, whose eyes bulged and wanted to know who his "regular" dentist was.

Len Beadell had a dentistry kit (and supporting training) in his travels.

BTW, when they advertise an adhesive as food safe, they usually assume you have let it cure and the solvent has evaporated off.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » November 29th, 2014, 10:32 am

Have pushed a couple of teeth back into the socket ( in others - as the result of fights ) , have rescued a couple of teeth from being trampled underfoot ( fight ) and have pulled a tooth from the knuckle of one of my crew. ( fight - never did find the owner for that one............. it got binned :lol: )

But do my own dentistry - Not on your ********** life !!!
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » November 29th, 2014, 2:55 pm

i think when i need a heart bypass i'll just do it myself with a bit of garden hose

V Williamson
Part of the furniture

Unread post by V Williamson » November 29th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Chuck Steak wrote:Have you ever fixed your own teeth. ....

Preparation is all important to get it to adhere. ....

And it worked. It was bit rough at first, but it smoothed off by itself after a couple of days (I thought I was going to have to sand it) and it's been holding firm for a week now. I haven't been doing any serious chewing on it, just mushy stuff, but so far so so good. So I've saved myself several hundred dollars.
What a complete redneck. :worry: How could you do this to yourself in such a manner? :boggle: You should be castigated for having attempted such a job without being fully prepared.

Where was the dremel and the polishing felt? http://www.bunnings.com.au/dremel-3-8in ... p_p6282137
That would have done the job properly and you need not have waited the few days. Your tongue would no doubt also express its appreciation. Please... next time, be better prepared.

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » November 29th, 2014, 4:57 pm

i reckon i will go for steel teeth so they last for ages. gunna weld them in tonight i think.

griz
Part of the furniture

Unread post by griz » November 29th, 2014, 5:02 pm

That has to be the second biggest slingshot I've ever seen, but I guess it'll have to do.

foogill
Need to get out more

Unread post by foogill » November 29th, 2014, 11:04 pm

jfoldbar wrote:if you break your leg, will you duct tape it to save going to get plaster?
Dad used to do a reasonable job on broken goat legs with a length of split poly pipe (splint) & elastoplast.

Chuck Steak
Been here a while

Unread post by Chuck Steak » November 30th, 2014, 11:58 am

I know a guy who used Plasti-Bond to fix his cavities. He dropped some brick cleaning acid into each cavity with an eye dropper, dried it off and packed them with epoxy. Was OK at first, but the cavities continued to rot and grow under the epoxy. Eventually his mates made him go to the dentist, whose eyes bulged and wanted to know who his "regular" dentist was.
That's not particularly smart - acid is the last thing you should be putting on your teeth. I've explained the chemistry of the process here http://drchemical.com.au/

BTW, when they advertise an adhesive as food safe, they usually assume you have let it cure and the solvent has evaporated off.
It doesn't evaporate - it's a thermoset polymer, which means that it reacts chemically and irreversibly to form an inert solid

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”