Who runs what Dash Cams and what's the quality like?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
bazzaboy
Been here a while

Re: Who runs what Dash Cams and what's the quality like?

Unread post by bazzaboy » April 26th, 2014, 7:57 am

I run a cheap dash cam I got off Ebay. Payed $55 for it two years ago. It records sound and HD video and has most of the features of the much more expensive units . Has not missed a beat. In fact, when comparing the video quality of my cheapy to my mates heaps more expensive unit, we both agreed that mine produced the better video quality and was less susceptible to "flaring". I figure that I've already got my $55 worth from it and if it dies tomorrow, I'll buy the same one again.
Bazza
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

crakrz7
Here and there

Unread post by crakrz7 » April 26th, 2014, 8:13 am

Tried Blackvue, DOD, and now I have the Abee V51. Even though a lot of these cams are all 1080p, you need to look at the actual data transfer rate. If its low, you will get shocking night clarity but your SD card will last longer, but if you want great night clarity with high data rate, your SD card will fill quicker. Its a compromise. The blackvue lacked night clarity for me, so I now use the Abee V51. Very pleased with the quality of night driving vision, but I only get 8-9 hrs on a 32gb card.

http://www.abee.com.tw/PRODUCTS_V51-1.html

I purchased mine through Onsite Cameras. Probably get them cheaper on ebay but their backup service is great. I have no affiliation with them, just saw them on TV like everyone else.
http://www.onsitecameras.com/blog/
2012 RG Colorado, 5spd Manual, 2" Lift, Genie 3" s/s exhaust, K&N filter, CAT delete, EGR delete, HPD Intercooler, HPD catch can, Crispmods ECU remap, Auber EGT & Boost guages, Road Ranger shifter.

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » April 26th, 2014, 10:43 am

I've updated the Blackvue with the Russian firmware and have mixed results.

64GB capacity works when the 64GB card is formatted with 32k clusters. 14hours of 1080P video can be extended further using 720P.
GPS and Map location is correct. Time and Date overlay resets to wrong date - (time and date can be removed from screen)
Patched to remove the watermark in bottom right. (DR500GW-HD 1080P)
All of the camera video settings can be adjusted. AWB and AWBS, CABAC, AECB, AGGS, AGGN, TI2A, SALDRE, LDC, VS, SNF, TNF, GBCE, GLBCE. Many options can be set.
The bitrate can be set up to 25000kbps (High compression uses 5000kbps, normal compression uses 7500kbps)
You can set it up to automatically turn on the wifi and join a network or be the access point. Using wireless N. With or without DHCP.
It also has a hidden action mode - 720P_MAX @ 60fps.
Can disable Alerts/Sounds and Event mode! No more overlapping videos!
The program called Registrator can convert the Blackvue data files into the CSV format automatically for use in Dashware/other GPS data logging programs.

I agree about the night video, it's good enough, but it's not great.

crakrz7
Here and there

Unread post by crakrz7 » April 26th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Would you say that you are happy with the Russian firmware update, or better off without it. Just debating whether to update mine as it's in my wife's car now. Your thoughts......?
2012 RG Colorado, 5spd Manual, 2" Lift, Genie 3" s/s exhaust, K&N filter, CAT delete, EGR delete, HPD Intercooler, HPD catch can, Crispmods ECU remap, Auber EGT & Boost guages, Road Ranger shifter.

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » April 26th, 2014, 3:27 pm

v2.001 of Blackvue's firmware is out btw - you can upgrade from 1.009 to 2.001.

Being able to configure it makes it a lot better, stills needs more settings but there are hardware restrictions that limit the russian firmwares settings, you really have to read the documentation and have a play to see if it suits your needs.

The bug with the date & time is a pita IMO. I even tried resetting the GPS and downgrading/reupgrading the firmware but the problem persisted. It uses the date and time to name the videos. The only thing I didn't try was taking a Brisbane time zone file from an installation of Linux, otherwise for Brisbane you use the Russian timezone Yakutsk.

Configuring is done using Notepad++ , you edit the config files on the blackvue - only after it's been updated with the russian firmware.

Event/Parking modes are linked. Setting Event mode to 0 disables both parking and event mode. (too bad if you only wanted to get rid of event mode)
Max Video Length = 3minutes (1 minute setting is required if using non-standard bitrate)
The option of video mode 0 lets the Blackvue operate in default/normal mode with the russian firmware. Video Mode 1 and 2 are for customizing the video and DVR's launch string how you want.

I've rewritten the majority of the documentation that goes with the custom firmware so it's easier to understand.
PM me if you need a hand.

FJRider
Been here a while

Unread post by FJRider » April 28th, 2014, 12:11 pm

I have GoPro H2 and H3 Black , I have used them as Dash cam's , the H3 can be set to loop video but to be honest if its a Dash cam you want for everyday use you would be better getting a dedicated DC

GoPro's don't have the features the DC's do , you have to turn them on/off and they get very hot sitting on the dash and will turn off .
Jacko

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » June 20th, 2014, 10:03 pm

There are newer ones coming out all the time. One that caught my eye at the moment is the Vico Marcus 3 which can do 1080p@60fps and also 1296P@30fps (18.5Mbit video) and has 128GB capacity. No park mode though.
Downside is, the firmware is not optimized for the new range of chips.. Not yet anyway. Has potential.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 21st, 2014, 11:41 am

I have an older Blackvue cam, it's fine for what it does, record front on in the event of accidents, plus records GPS speed / location in case I ever get a speed camera dispute, or have an incident with another vehicle etc.
With a 32gb card, mine loops for a full 2 week tour, or 3 or 4 weeks driving around town.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/ has a good review for what is a good dash cam for the $, but as mentioned there, dash cams aren't for getting great footage, leave that for GoPros etc . . .'These cameras might not capture every license plate or the face of other drivers, but they will show that you were being safe.'

Judy43
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Judy43 » March 20th, 2016, 6:54 pm

I have just fitted this system works great,
http://www.ppacaraudio.com.au/index.php ... uct_id=485
Really good cameras (front and rear)excellent quality brilliant HD pictures with automatic digital video recording and much higher resolution 1080p. i can record a bit more video of the country side during my trips.
and with reversing camera function when i revers my car i can see on the screen what behind my car.
i am very happy with the result so for.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”