Who runs what Dash Cams and what's the quality like?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Who runs what Dash Cams and what's the quality like?

Unread post by BrAdAsS » September 25th, 2013, 11:53 am

I've been looking at dash cams for a while now, I even bought a cheap one to see what cheap meant and have been looking at 2 models to replace it with. I haven't seen any discussions in here and thought I would bring it up. I will be getting a Go Pro Hero3 HD black edition as well, but I want a dedicated dash cam too.

Blackvue DR-500GW
Finevu CR-500HD

I've found that most dash cams only support 32GB level10 microSD cards which is enough for 6-7 hours continuous recording.
I've come to realise those night vision LED's present on cheaper cameras are a gimmick and only really work effectively at a few inches and not beyond the windscreen.
Something the cheaper dash cams do is advertise a high resolution of 1920x1080p but then drop the bit rate so it looks like a 320x240 quality video.

I got a sample video off a truck driver I saw with one to check the quality.
Blackvue DR-500GW (language warning)

This makes the cheaper dash cams look like rubbish. I've been looking at the Finevu CR-500HD as apparently the video quality is slightly better again with the Sony Exmor CMOS sensor, but, when I do a bit of research into them I see mixed results re quality - it actually looks worse than the Blackvue!. Can I hear/see from people who have the competition who can show me what they actually look like in the real world?

-Brad

gunk
Avid Poster

Re: Who runs what Dash Cams and what's the quality like?

Unread post by gunk » September 25th, 2013, 12:25 pm

The DR-500GW is excellent but works much better if you turn down the compression settings slightly and set it to 720p rather than 1080p. I have mine hardwired so it's on all the time and it just goes in to park mode automatically and only records if it detects a bump or a significant image change.

I recently handed a video to the police of a night time road rage incident and they were very impressed with the quality.

The Wifi is pretty much useless for anything other than aligning the camera when you stick it on the first time. If you want to copy of the videos you really need to put the card in to a phone/tablet/PC.

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » September 25th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Have you got a clip of what it looks like at 720p with the comp down gunk? "much better" in what way?

That's one option I liked about the Finevu, you plug it into the laptop via usb and it show up as a drive so you can copy all the files from it.

kerry460
Need to get out more

Unread post by kerry460 » September 25th, 2013, 3:04 pm

G,,day I use a Panasonic lumix tz30 camera with a 12 volt power adapter.
it has a wide angle lense
30 minute recording blocks, just get used to stop /start again
very happy with it.
Kerry
ps it is a pocket size camera, full hd 14? megapixel. excellent quality.
Mercedes Benz G WAGEN 300GD

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » September 26th, 2013, 11:03 am

I just read the Russians have firmware tweaks for the Blackvue that will take you from 32GB max to a 64GB max among other things. The Blackvue now is a cut above the rest for me with 14hours continuous recording.

I used to have a camera and do the same thing kerry460, but, I'm looking for an automated dash cam solution.

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » September 26th, 2013, 4:03 pm

I have a $17 ebay jobbie that comes with the mount and I put a 16GB card in it. quality is ok enough to read number plates.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » September 26th, 2013, 6:52 pm

I got this style - not that exact one I don't think, but close enough, there are a lot selling them ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16GB-Portabl ... 4d0d5c54ad
And I'm quite unhappy with it. But for that price what do you expect.
I'm now looking at several other options.
I'm going to have a look into your Blackvue recommendation. I haven't looked at much more than just ebay cheapies so far, but it's definitely not worth having one if you can't even read a number plate, and I doubt you'd read the plate on an image off mine.

DTEImages
Here and there

Unread post by DTEImages » September 26th, 2013, 8:19 pm

I use the GoPro Hero3 Black.

The only issue is they don't have the best battery life and limited memory.

For me they do the job and are robust enough to use in other circumstances away from the Dash of the vehicle.

JBird
Avid Poster

Unread post by JBird » September 28th, 2013, 8:54 am

Gday Brad,

I have the Itronics ITB100-HD hard wired for parking mode and it's been great. Bought it off ebay from a South Korean site for just over $200 including a 32gb SD card; they're asking$349 in Aus ($389 with 32gb SD card)

A good website for anyone looking at getting a dashcam with some really good info can be found at http://dashcamtalk.com/;)

Jason
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret"

SWB
Been here a while

Unread post by SWB » September 28th, 2013, 10:05 pm

I would be prepared to fork out for a GoPro but as a DashCam does it:
* Record a continoues stream and loop over, so it will always be recording
* Automatically start recording when the ignition is on, no button presses
* Has a "SOS" type button so that when pressed, that last xx min of action is saved and not able to be overwritten
* Will record xx time on battery after external power is off
* have a GPS feed to log GPS

i.e. the funtions of a typical dash cam, but with the versatility of an action cam. If it does, I will buy one.

BFT RANGER
Need to get out more

Unread post by BFT RANGER » October 1st, 2013, 10:21 pm

I put chased the Uniden IGO Cam 800 dual lens.
What a piece of ***** and a waste of money. One camera always stops working and battery life once key is off is only a few minutes so the G sensor for movement will only catch a small amount.
It's been sent back to Uniden and they can't find any fault with it, now this week it will turn the viewing screen off after a few minutes.
:irked:
Tuned by CRISPMODS

http://www.crosscountry4wd.com/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ranger-BT50-owners/243230605704611

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » October 2nd, 2013, 12:36 pm

I just got a quick clip from Bribie yesterday where I wasn't bangin on with the Blackvue running, then I got some night footage.. it's 1920x1080p, 30fps.

day
night

Still haven't applied the russian firmware, still testing it out.

The G-shock sensor will be getting set to the lowest sensitivity setting as it kept triggering throughout the day.

I'm happy with the day video, the night video isn't that bad, it picks up more light at night than my other dash cam by far.

The dash cam in the link above is the cheap one I was talking about. I have one of them sitting here too. It is practically useless.

I see the new Go Pro Hero3+ just came out...
If the Go Pro had a water proof 12v fitting, and a DashCam mode it would own the dash cam market.

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » October 9th, 2013, 1:17 pm

I recently purchased the optrix hard shell for my iphone 4. ive used it as a helmet cam and it works great, will use as a dash cam aswell.

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » October 9th, 2013, 3:26 pm

With the G-Shock sensitivity at zero, it's much better. The sensitivity still needs to be reduced further as it still trips on what I would call borderline events...

The other problem I've come to realise is reflections from the windscreen. There needs to be a lens filter or other means of blocking the reflections from showing up in the video. I know the Finevue has a polarised lens cover to that end, but nothing for the Blackvue yet. Finevue wins in that department.

TurtleSlow
Been here a while

Unread post by TurtleSlow » October 9th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Hi folks,

Anyone had any experience with the VicoVation WF1?

Cheers
Muz

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”