Nissan Leaf. What next? Nissan Dirt?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Re: Nissan Leaf. What next? Nissan Dirt?

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 5th, 2012, 5:50 pm

I don't believe that Oli. You can't pour chemicals in the ground and not expect long-term ramifications to water tables. Would you pour these same chemicals into a beautiful above ground stream? Would you be happy to mix a little bit in a cup and drink it? Entire towns have been forced out of their homes in the U.S. because their water supply is contaminated through coal seam gas mining. Those long-term ramifications are not available in any impact study either because that would shut the industry down and cause loss of employment and revenue. The Government allows it because just that... it is short-sighted and ignorant revenue. A lot of the profit goes overseas with those big Chinese companies getting in on it as well. This is what many people believe. It certainly is far from green energy and is more than meets the eye. If you mine it and live off the income, then you approve it and turn a blind eye. The community where I am stopped a multi-million dollar coal seam gas operation from continuing. We rely heavily on artesian water here for the agricultural industry and human consumption. Would you sink a bore on a property and irrigate you own 'organic' vegetables with water that had seeped through abandoned wells 50 years later and eat them?

It's really going OT here, but green energy with all current technologies is a myth. Everything comes at a cost during extraction, production, use and disposal/recycle and humanity continues to travel on this destructive path, justifying actions as it goes.

Shakes.

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 5th, 2012, 6:06 pm

shakes i agree that SOME people have been impacted however what you are talking about is fracturing in open hole. I have seen this happen and have since left the company that does this which has been shut down (dont ask wont tell). Company i work for dont do this, fracturing is an unnessary in these well and the government stopped this. Unfortunately the truth of coal seam gas has been lost and dont get me wrong in the past there have been some cowboys but the only thing the company i work for put in the hole is fish oil. Honest thats it, it another case of theres no news like bad news. I would quite happily have a csg well on my property, its just the few cowboy companies id stay clear of. I love my country and would NEVER turn a blind eye to it.

y b normal
Part of the furniture
Location: just behind the steering wheel,above the pedals & seat., QLD

Unread post by y b normal » June 5th, 2012, 6:37 pm

i think to many companies put profits above ANYTHING. the truth is the first casuality. once the government is involved you can guarantee your being lied to. i've worked for construction companies in the past who have told us bla bla bla, to get the job done. jobs finished, a few years later they're in court for breach of contract regarding waste removal & dumping.
i hade to be a pesamist, but i've heard it so many times, believed what i got told & proved to be a gullable fool time & time again. sorry but i just don't believe what any big company executive/ceo tells me. ESPECIALLY if they stand to make money out of it.
there might be some honest big companies out there, I just havn't crossed paths with them in 30 years of work.
get in, sit down, shut up....& hang on....

simplify... declutter... and go forth with purpose.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 5th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Thanks Oli, good response and I thank you for that. Chemical fracking is really bad. Good to hear yours doesn't. It's what they started doing here and were shut down real quick due to detecting it in a test well and on the basis of what I mentioned with long-term ramifications. There are fines for chemical dumping I guess one may call it and chemical fracking should be classed as just that. I also see they are going CSG in the Darling Downs and agriculture and farms feel abandoned by Government seeking revenue on their land which ultimately is always Crown Land (owned by the Crown.) A lot of people don't realize they only hold title deeds or the right to claim boundary for personal use, but they never really own it. So Government can move in and do what they want within reason and in fairness to the title holder. There is a MASSIVE Natural Gas pocket between Indonesia and Darwin which they were considering tapping and piping back to the mainland for processing. There has been work going on out there, but I don't know how it has all progressed.

Back to topic though unless anyone has anything more to add on 'Green Energy.'

Shakes.

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » June 6th, 2012, 10:30 am

I still tend to think that electrisity is the answer, but the question isn't fully fleshed out yet.

Electisity needs to come from somewhere. Basic principles, energy isn't created or destroyed, it is just converted (and wasted).

So electrisity in itself is clean, but you need to:

a) Generate it
b) Get it to the vehicles which need it. (remember, we're talking transport here)

*A* means you have to sacrifice something. So what you WANT is something which is so abundant, or externaly produced (like sunlight or heat from underground for instance) so that it doesn't run out or degrade our planet.

*B* is a problem because unlike houses, which are constantly connected and stationary cars are by their very nature disconnected, moving targets. So it needs to either be generated IN the vehicle or somehow transfered and stored fast enough and in a quantity to be useful.

Combining these two requirements is what has eluded us. Solar is transportable, but not reliable or able (Yet) to provide the volume required.

Heat (Ie, hot rock steam generation) is able to deliver clean, abundant base load power in volume, but is completely un transportable and requires big investment. Oh, and it is only really available with current tech in specific places.

For what ever reason. Money, greed, disinformatio, technology barriers and even apathy have us left in essentially the same position we were in in the 40's.

As yet, no one with enough power has decided to make a real difference.

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » June 6th, 2012, 4:48 pm

robdeo...from what I have read, inductive charging may play a part in the future of electric vehicles, allowing them to be recharged wirelessly, while they are driving along....granted, this presents its own complications, but I understand that this concept is being investigated to see if it is a viable solution....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 7th, 2012, 11:39 am

What is a shame is Earth's crust is so thick in most places, otherwise terra-thermal energy is right beneath our feet and used in places where they are able to tap into it. I read something a while ago that the power stations that tap this power do give off atmospheric pollution to a degree. How much I can't remember, though if we could tap it readily, energy would be abundant for billions of years. I can't see us cooling the Earth's core by taking too much as compression and friction is renewable in the core and heat is dispersed every day. Not all our warmth comes from the sun :-)

Cac, is it possible to transfer that much power to a vehicle wirelessly up to and over a 20m range and if so, how would it work unless you traveled the compatible roads all off the time. You still find yourself plugging in somewhere the majority of the time.

There was another thread in this forum (they do get lost amongst it all,) where there was words about electric 4wd etc, etc, something about much more torque from electric, but that would come at a cost of energy storage capacity unless it were constantly renewed by a compact on-board super hydrogen-driven electric generator or something like that. Similar concept to petrol/electric hybrid cars, though without the conventional petrol engine. I think battery storage was the main issue in viability with long distance and remote travel, but yes, we are only talking general road transport here. Perhaps one day solar tech will help, where all vehicle with be completely covered in thin solar film, but no good for rainy day or certain parts of the world and too many cars would need to be constantly left outside to regenerate. It would help a generator though. Power needs to be generated independently and continually monitored so average consumption does not fall below storage capacity or 'buffer' threshold. To make it so the generator can continue to run after the vehicle is departed to keep the buffer storage full at all times at which point it shuts down. Next time you hit the key, the 'allowable' power is given based on previous averages so you don't get all lead foot and drain it too fast. Of course, a sensor would be needed in emergency that detects if your foot went all the way down and gives that emergency power for a quick escape to avoid an accident. Maybe i'm more on track here, I don't know. But I know these cars in the OP really aren't practical and in 10 or 20 years, they will be primitive.

Shakes.

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 7th, 2012, 11:46 am

personally electric cars will NEVER work. unless they do something like this its not going to catch on

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 7th, 2012, 11:55 am

Lol. We have electric trains like that though.

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 7th, 2012, 12:09 pm

yeah thats my point its the only way electric cars will work without the need for another engine or power points. but you still need a conventional engine as you cant run the electric wire everywhere. the future of electric cars will be the generator style however your still using a petrol engine so all you've done is make it more complicated. These plug in cars are a contradiction to what they're trying to do. Most of our power sources are from burning/utilising fossil fuel. I really dont see anywhere else for the electric car to go untill they find a better way of harnassing better enegy from the inertia the car is making as it drives along.

worthy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by worthy » June 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Back to shakes point of pedestrians need to watch out for cars. What about the blind? Kind of difficult. This is a problem with silent cars.

I am unsure which vehicle it was, but, the used a 2.0L petrol engine to power a generator. Wheels were driven electricly. A good idea i thought, charge it via a socket while at home, top up the charge while driving. But why a 2.0L petrol? surely a smaller engine (1L) petrol or a diesel would be enough to run the generator.
2000 Prado 3.0LTD Lifted and Locked
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87167
Have IFS, Will Impress

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 7th, 2012, 1:32 pm

I think it's a matter of power and balance. Once cruise speed is reached, the larger engine cuts back and the vehicle 'coasts' on electric. Otherwise, the energy required for take-off would expend electric energy too rapidly, particularly in city traffic. Well that is current hybrid technology anyway.

Until alternative fuel cells are created and efficient compact light-weight and high output generators are made running off safe/eco friendly alternative fuel cells and battery storage or technology that does not require battery banks due to generator efficiency is invented, we will continue to see petrol/electric cars. Fossil fuel companies make sure they squash good ideas that affect them and the global economy. Governments collect too much revenue in taxes, so they support each other. It's always implied in movies like Chain Reaction (actor: Keanu Reeves) that the world isn't ready for free energy to be injected into it. What ever happened to the Cairns Guys that made a magnetic home generator to be independent off the grid. Those ideas actually do work and people have tinkered with them for a long time. But as soon as someone says, "I have invented one everyone can buy and run free power," advertises it on TV the idea gets silenced.

Asked..., "What about the vision impaired?" Well only those that can see a vehicle coming are safe, but if you can't, yes it's a problem. Not all of these people have acute hearing, especially as they get older. Of course there are solutions to this, but it doesn't mean the vehicles all need to make noise.

I'm really keen to see what the future holds in respect to all of this thread and the general consensus of others that believe humans are so much more capable of doing what we need to do, but it's the tyrants that keep us under control. They have no respect for the environment really. They only care about money. So we are only allowed to use tech that relies on them and pay our taxes.

Shakes.

Conzy
Here and there

Unread post by Conzy » June 7th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Sound is a huge issue i think, anyone been to Hamilton. Can't believe how many people i nearly hit over a weekend because people didn't bother looking because they couldn't hear anything. I was very tempted to hit a few, though would have lost my deposit.

Though i've heard that these cars have a speaker or something making sound as they drive, not sure if thats true. maybe they'll do something like this haha, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 7th, 2012, 10:30 pm

that was awesome conzy, my brother has a seirra and its his birthday next week, problem solvered

Finance Dave
Avid Poster

Unread post by Finance Dave » June 8th, 2012, 7:33 am

Will be interesting to see if you are actually buying the vehicle "freehold"!! Some may remember a movie "death of the electric car"? Several manufactures have done this in the past whereby the vehicle is only leased for a period of time then must be returned to the manufacturer. These past leased models were subsequently destroyed!

Dave.
2003 GU Patrol. Dual Batts,Pyro,2" OME,Sliders, Snorkel,Winch,Lights,Roof Rack,water tank,Draws,Chip,3" Exhaust,Custom intercooler,Fuel Tanks (231L),Dyno 127.3HP,Airlocker,Bullbar,Breathers.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”