Nissan Leaf. What next? Nissan Dirt?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Nissan Leaf. What next? Nissan Dirt?

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 5th, 2012, 2:58 am

This thing doesn't drive you from A to B if you have 20 hills and a mountain range to contend with. A 2hr drive will see you stranded on the middle of the road out of power and nowhere to charge it. The price is way up there too. Is this the beginning of electric car manufacturing on a large scale, or another gimmick and green tick for Nissan's portfolio?

The Nissan Leaf and the Leaf Video Library

ImageImageImage

Shakes.

cac
Need to get out more

Re: Nissan Leaf. What next? Nissan Dirt?

Unread post by cac » June 5th, 2012, 12:05 pm

I've been following the development of this for a couple of years now, it's been on sale in some countries for over a year already....

looks to be a decent vehicle as a city runabout, though until the pricing comes down to something more reasonable (around $30K), I don't think we'll see too many of them on our roads....

as far as electric vehicles go though, I think the Chevrolet/Holden Volt is the better bet at this stage....though I don't think its on sale in aus until the end of this year....

http://www.holden.com.au/pages/volt-coming-soon
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 5th, 2012, 1:05 pm

most of these electric cars only have a range of 200km, and thats in the day without your lights running. No matter what anyone says electric cars are not the future, hydrogen maybe but for now and for the foreseeable future we will be using delicious fossil fuels. We should all go out and use twice as much this week to celebrate the fact. btw i may or may not work for an oil and gas company.
Cheers Oli

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 5th, 2012, 1:26 pm

That's funny Oli. All I can say is I live in the country and roads I travel I'd be lucky to get 140kms on a full charge. That leaves me with 60kms left to reach my family and certainly can't make it to Brisbane let alone sit there and wait for it to charge if I could find a place to charge. I'm sure my family wouldn't like me rocking up and pinching their power either. Nah, these things are designed for short commutes where the owner can get from A to B and back again to charge at home or work if they pay for the power there. They certainly have their place in a real world as they are either useless or practical. Price and maintenance is unattractive too. Also if you want any performance, you quickly drain power and shorten your range. No fun in that is there...

The Holden Volt I didn't follow, but knew of it. The reason I posted the Leaf is it's actually being sold as the first electric production car and no longer a concept.

Shakes.

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 5th, 2012, 1:36 pm

well i say 200kms but if you use a/c, the radio and hell if you dare indicate you use power. I beleive braking is putting back in a little bit of charge but they take two hours to half charge and a total of six-eight hours to fully charge. All the yuppies will jump on it and say its the best transport for in town but its not. Even public transport (bus and trains) have been shown to be less efficient and more damageing to the environment than a car per person (thats a fact). the only true effecient mode of tranport is a motorbike. But thats another story.
Cheers Oli

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » June 5th, 2012, 1:41 pm

The funny part about all these things is they still do more damage to the environment that standard vehicles......and when are they going to make them look like super cars so at least they are attractive in some way to by.
Speaking of doing the right thing by the Planet, recent studies in the UK have proven that train travel is far more damaging to the planet than Cars, and thats based on a head per head basis with the train system at capacity.......

this is the only good looking electric car in my opinion

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 5th, 2012, 1:50 pm

yes and quite clever as it is electric drive with batteries however it does have a petrol engine. but unlike hybrids engines this petrol doesn't take over from the electric once charge is gone it is only a generator which feeds the batteries with power once the charge is low. beautiful looking car however I'd still rather thunder guts eh harb

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » June 5th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Yep she's a good old girl........but Id rather the bank account of its owner

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 5th, 2012, 1:57 pm

agreed

Anarok
Here and there

Unread post by Anarok » June 5th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Another issue for the electric cars that I have heard is that they pretty much produce no noise.
"Why is that bad?" Some people might ask. The answer is something I heard from a mate, someone was actually hit by one of these electric cars because they were that silent the person didn't hear it coming and just simply stepped out according to the story and got bumped by one of these cars.

I managed to find a link to the story, not sure how credible it is so make of it what you will: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/women ... 41091.html

a little further reading around the net shows that some groups that are designing electric cars have decided to put speakers on the car to make a noise constantly just like a real engine would when driving. I'm unsure of how much energy such a system will consume but I bet it'd further affect the distance you can travel on one charge.

I do believe that this sort of idea will probably flop, or at the very least it'll only ever come into use for the people living in cities. but I can't imagine any practical use for such a thing outside of a quick run to the nearest shop if you were living in a city or some such.

Though I'm half expecting the next latest and greatest craze sweeping the world will be the Honda Pebble, or the Audi Rock.
With the mystical power of not requiring fossil fuel or electricity, but powered by feet... aka the Flintstones car: Image
:lol:

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 5th, 2012, 2:33 pm

That car sux! Don't put it in reverse what ever you do. :gurn: The rolling rock inertia is a good idea though. Wouldn't want to run over anyone. May be good for road construction.

The quietness of electric cars is a problem I agree, but like a push bike, pedestrians should always look and people will expect these quiet cars to be around after a while. Sight impaired will have problems though.

Shakes.

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » June 5th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Price and maintenance is unattractive too. Also if you want any performance, you quickly drain power and shorten your range. No fun in that is there...
purchase price is a problem, though as I understand it, running costs are cheaper than for an equivalent petrol engined vehicle. and a recharge costs about $3/100km at current electricity prices
The Holden Volt I didn't follow, but knew of it. The reason I posted the Leaf is it's actually being sold as the first electric production car and no longer a concept.
the Volt may not be on sale in Australia yet, but it is already on sale in the US.....
yes and quite clever as it is electric drive with batteries however it does have a petrol engine. but unlike hybrids engines this petrol doesn't take over from the electric once charge is gone it is only a generator which feeds the batteries with power once the charge is low. beautiful looking car however I'd still rather thunder guts eh harb
this I believe is the future of the automotive industry....though I'm pretty confident we will see a number of technologies developed in the next couple of decades to generate the electricity.....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » June 5th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Not to be rude, but you do realise that the Volt is not designed for you, right?

It is designed for the younger, Colt/Yaris/Accent buying crowd but in a single or couple with no kids, in a slightly higher income bracket who live in the built up city and want to feel like they are helping the environment.

I'm not convinced of this vehicle, but at least someone is doing something so I try to think of it as a discussion piece. The people who would possibly buy it are unlikely to have their own garage (in the city? Wow, $$$$$) or access to a power point in a shared garage or on the street.

Hopefully, sooner rather than later we will have a real alternative. Not just swapping our current tirant for another one.

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 5th, 2012, 5:15 pm

:lol: Too true Robdeo :thumb:

This is a 4WD forum and you cleverly made a good point, but some do live as you just said, maybe not anyone reading this thread, but someone as you described. If they were cheap and were capable of driving long distance for those common road trips to family/work etc, then I'd consider one and keep my 4wd for the more rugged trips and touring or if I felt the need for some diesel power after zipping around in a little electric car (if they were viable.) But they aren't practical for the majority - agree.

Another thing, We burn coal and emit carbon to create electricity. We don't yet have a whole lot of green energy apart from peoples return to grid solar. So the concept of zero emissions is misleading. Even nuclear power as it's extreme pollution tucked away as growing problems and ticking time bombs.

Maybe one day. It's interesting to watch the automotive world evolve though don't you think?

Shakes.

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » June 5th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Green energy is here but you couldn't tell cause everyones to busy bashing it. Its called coal seam gas but were all to caught up in propaganda, oh sorry i mean the news telling us its the work of the devil.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”