Mazda BT50 | Ford Ranger | Nissan Navara as tow vehicle?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
rolly82

Re: Mazda BT50 | Ford Ranger | Nissan Navara as tow vehicle?

Unread post by rolly82 » April 20th, 2012, 3:13 pm

wendyswheels wrote:Just to clarify, the BT50 is my safety net in case the JGC doesn't live up to the specs in the flesh. The BT50 meets all criteria in full, except that it's not a wagon. Change that and I'd have ordered one by now! :) W.
You could always put a fibreglass canopy on the rear of the ute to "make" it a wagon.
Just to add another vehicle to the list,maybe have a quick look at the new Holden Colorado's,they have a
towing capacity of 3500kg.

Brad,

m6sports
Been here a while

Unread post by m6sports » April 20th, 2012, 3:54 pm

The trouble with any ute is the seal of the tub. I've had a hard tonneau put on mine and after some dirt roads over the Easter long weekend it had a nice cover of dirt on everything.

It looks like the problem is the tailgate seal or lack of seal. Don't let me discourage you buying a ute but expect it not to seal as well as a wagon
My camper trailer build
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=125437

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 20th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Thanks, Brad. Had considered the canopy option, but doesn't quite operate the same as a proper wagon as I could only get into the tub via the tailgate opening, rather than through the back doors. Also doesn't give me the versatility of the wagon in that I can fold the back seats down to create a really good sized area for carting stuff (or to let the cats run around during a short stop). The latter could be achieved by replacing the rear window with a slider, but I still couldn't get into the tub area without going through the tailgate. I had therefore settled on the option of the hard cover for the tub as this way I can lift and place things over the side of the tub rather than lifting onto the tailgate and sliding them up to the front of the tub/rear wall of cab...either that or I get a really long stick and push things along!! :) It's a bit of a bother being height-challenged!

Hmm, just came across info about the Colorado coming out in an SUV style - woohoo! Downside: not released in Aust till end of the year. Bother - too late for me! Interestingly, it has a shorter wheel base than the Ranger and BT50, but then again its about 30cm shorter overall. Might pop into Holden over the weekend for a look. A little confused by some of the specs I've just seen - one site shows pretty average torque and power, and then another shows specs in line with BT50. Better to see it in the flesh, I think.

Another friend has just offered the suggestion of getting the BT50 without the tray/tub (ie. so it's just the dual cab) and then having the panelwork made up for the end of the body in the wagon style, which is then stuck onto the frame. I don't know how this works or whether it would void any new car warranty, so will look into. I'm thinking though that I will still have that back wall of the cab to contend with, so not sure if it's feasible. So many options...

Thanks againf or your comments, Brad. WW.

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 20th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Hey there, m6sports. I did wonder about that. I know the tub isn't watertight, but the sales guy said that's only an issue when water's being thrown upwards and as rain falls from the sky and the cover extends over the ends of the tub, I won't have any problems with items stored in the tub. Appreciate your advice as I will be heading to some dusty areas and don't enjoy dusting at the best of times! :) At least with a wagon there are seals, which go a long way to keeping the dust outside (where it should be!). Thanks for your thoughts, WW.

calibrated
Avid Poster

Unread post by calibrated » April 20th, 2012, 4:55 pm

With regards to dust and water, just as some tubs seal better than others, some lids / canopies seal better than others too. So worth doing additional research on those too, if you were to go the dual cab route.
VW Amarok Trendline
http://www.ausamarok.com.au - Amarok Club Australia
http://www.wolf4x4.com.au - 4WD Accessories

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 20th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Ahh, I didn't realise. Thanks calibrated. WW.

m6sports
Been here a while

Unread post by m6sports » April 20th, 2012, 6:14 pm

The hard toneau seals well there are 2 small spots on the back wall of the tub that would let water in when I opened the tub but some sikaflex fixed that, I've found a seal kit on eBay but it's for the old model BT50 and ranger in time one will be made for the new model, Its most likely the length required that's different from old to the new model so some extra research is needed
My camper trailer build
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=125437

Nutta
Been here a while

Unread post by Nutta » April 22nd, 2012, 11:00 am

As they say, "there aint no substitute for cubic inches" meaning bigger engine is better, and this is the most important thing in my mind, especially towing 2.8 tonne.

The cherokee is great as is the pajero and new ranger/bt50, forget the amorok, they look great on paper but chuck 3 tonne on the back and theyd struggle with tthat little 2 litre, especially trying to overtake, and the v6 navara is over 65-70 k isnt it?

The patrol is to gutless unfortunately and not enough towing capacity.

Good luck.

rolly82

Unread post by rolly82 » April 22nd, 2012, 11:22 am

Nutta wrote:....forget the amorok, they look great on paper but chuck 3 tonne on the back and theyd struggle with that little 2 litre, especially trying to overtake, and the v6 navara is over 65-70 k isnt it?
Yes,the 'Rok would struggle to tow 3T considering its only rated to tow 2.8T

As for the V6 STX navara,it is priced at about $63,115 (the STX 550 is unavailable)
Nutta wrote:The patrol is to gutless unfortunately and not enough towing capacity.
The patrol has a 3200kg tow capacity,but at $62,904 it might be more then what the OP wants to pay.

calibrated
Avid Poster

Unread post by calibrated » April 22nd, 2012, 10:43 pm

Manual Amarok is 2.8T with comfort suspension, 3T with HD suspension (what I have)
Auto Amarok is 3.2T,

and anyone that says they arent up to the task, hasnt driven and towed with one.

ask people that have actually towed with one, not "oh its a 2l so it cant handle it". we're not in the 1980's anymore.
VW Amarok Trendline
http://www.ausamarok.com.au - Amarok Club Australia
http://www.wolf4x4.com.au - 4WD Accessories

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 23rd, 2012, 12:25 am

Hey guys! Thanks for all your posts. I have NEWS!

I don't quite know what came over me - I'm usually pretty slow to make decisions on major items (lots and lots of research and viewings) - but I test drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited on Sat, and ordered the Laredo that afternoon! The Limited was absolutely gorgeous, but it was over my budget and, truly, I don't need leather seats. I did, however, appreciate the front parking sensor and the sat nav (nice big touch screen, which I could easily see while driving), so have added these to the Laredo which, by the way, has the same specs (body, motor etc) as the Limited.

I've gone for the 3.0l turbo diesel and I've been assured that the towing kit that will be added includes the Hayman Reese towbar and it's set to a standard height. They couldn't tell me what this is - should I be concerned, or is "standard height" what all caravan makers refer to? My van is a Jayco Sterling 21.65-4 and I know from my many visits to the dealer that all the vans in the Sterling range are positioned at the same height. Although, I think the offroad vans sit higher. Hmm, think I might have a chat with the van dealer...just to be sure.

Back to my gorgeous JGC... Excellent use of space inside, very easy to drive, comfy for those in the backseat (they even have the fold-down drink holder in the centre of the seat and there was some mention of seat warmers ??), can fit the cat carriers across the back seat without any problems, and the JGC has all the safety features I'd wanted (trailer sway with towing setup, ABS, electronic brake thingy etc - sorry don't have my list handy).

It also has excellent fuel consumption with 10 litres for city and 7.2l for highway, creating a combined rating of 8.3l/100km. When I put the foot down, it literally surged forward, eliciting a happily surprised yelp (literally - very funny!) from moi - very unexpected based on test drives of other vehicles.

Unfortunately, I have to wait 8 weeks for delivery (they only had black available and that was the one colour I didn't want)... Still, it's good to have something to look forward to!

I tested parking in a shopping centre car park - not an issue and fits easily width-wise, but only just fits length-wise. Given it's 50cm shorter than the Ranger/BT50 (wheelbase is 30cm shorter than these two), I would have had difficulties parking safely if I had gone with the Ranger/BT50 given that my vehicle has to do everything both around town and in the country, as well as towing.

I do think there's a little too many electronic gizmos and this does worry me a little (hello, I really can determine if there's water on the windscreen and then turn on the wipers myself!), but it seems that's progress and with TVs now ordering the shopping and controlling the lights in houses, I expect it's just the way things are moving. Having said that, having the electric seat movement (up/down and forward/back for seat base, as well as tilt/drop front, and forward/backward for the seat back) means you can position the seat exactly where you want it and not just where there's a notch to hold it - very nice.

There's also 3 power outlets throughout the vehicle, the spare tyre is tucked away nicely with storage compartments around it, and the back seats fold completely flat - very versatile! There's also a privacy screen across the storage area of the boot.

In addition to the front and side air bags for front seat, there's side curtain airbags along the full length, and even a knee airbag for the driver. Console layout is very neat...and it would need to be as it will take some learning to get used to all those options! They've also put all the controls on one lever on the steering column, with lights controlled by a dial on the right side of the dash. As I have a European designed vehicle currently, it doesn't take any time to get used to the setup...but we'll see how I go with turning on those wipers! :)

Also, the rear parking camera has borders to assist with parking, and these work a treat! All in all, for a larger vehicle than I'm used to, it was very easy and enjoyable to drive...although I'll need to get comfy with having a foot handbrake - no longer a hand lever.

Of course, I still don't know how it feels when towing - none of the vehicles I test drove over the last couple of months could be hitched up to give me an idea of how they feel, so it's a bit of a lucky dip. I hope I've made the right decision for towing - on paper, looks good. Guess I'll find out in 8 weeks time! :)

Thanks again for all your help - it's been a great benefit! If you like, I'll pop up a photo of my new wheels when I get my hot little hands on it! Wendy

PS. Just a little tip I learnt over the weekend from someone who's had many years of towing vans. When I mentioned the option of the canopy on the dual cab, I was warned off doing so not due to dust or water ingress, and not even due to my ability (or rather lack thereof) to access the tub, but given that it would severely impact my ability to see through the back of the canopy. The reason being that adding a canopy means that you need to see out through 3 panes of glass, ie. the back of the dual cab, the front glass on the canopy, and then the back glass of the canopy. I was advised that even when all panes are clean, it's virtually impossible to see anything through those windows. For me, that's an issue.

nonzero
Here and there

Unread post by nonzero » April 24th, 2012, 11:26 am

calibrated wrote:Manual Amarok is 2.8T with comfort suspension, 3T with HD suspension (what I have)
Auto Amarok is 3.2T,

and anyone that says they arent up to the task, hasnt driven and towed with one.

ask people that have actually towed with one, not "oh its a 2l so it cant handle it". we're not in the 1980's anymore.

They will tow it, but not very well. None of these ute's are real flash towing on or near their max loads, i'm wondering who on here has actually towed 3 tonne or over on the highway behind one of these utes, you've got to be on the ball.

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 24th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Hi nonzero. Thanks for your thoughts. It really is a tricky issue!

I'd been allowing a buffer between what I know I'll be towing and what the vehicles are rated for towing, as I figure there may be influencing factors, such as how my setup works (vehicle and van), the weather on any given day, the packing of my vehicle and van, road surfaces, my driving style etc...and likewise these same issues would influence the ratings when the vehicles are tested, although I would expect the testing to be quite extensive.

To my mind, the only certainty here is to ensure whatever you're towing is well under the rated tow capacity of the vehicle, unless you're very familiar with the vehicle already. Perhaps this isn't how other (ie. experienced) people would approach the situation, but it makes sense to me! :) Cheers, WW

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » April 24th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Had 3.5t on my 07 bt50 but as.soon as your towing more weight than yr tow vehicle yr always up for fun.

nonzero
Here and there

Unread post by nonzero » April 24th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Yeah especially since the old BT-50 is not supposed to tow more than 3.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”