Mazda BT50 | Ford Ranger | Nissan Navara as tow vehicle?

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
calibrated
Avid Poster

Re: Mazda BT50 | Ford Ranger | Nissan Navara as tow vehicle?

Unread post by calibrated » April 12th, 2012, 8:55 am

The Amarok 8-speed Auto is due in June.
3.2Tonne towing capacity, 132kw 420nm.

There are guys on the AusAmarok forum with BIG boats and campers, who have "downgraded" from 200 series cruisers, etc, and reckon the Amarok (Manual) tows better.
VW Amarok Trendline
http://www.ausamarok.com.au - Amarok Club Australia
http://www.wolf4x4.com.au - 4WD Accessories

Darknight
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Darknight » April 12th, 2012, 9:45 am

Was going to suggest a Paj but its only a 3tonne towing capacity the other unhelpful suggestion is a new Defender is the kind of money you are talking about however you will need to decide how much you need the 4WD ability vs comfort however they have improved recently (3.5tonne towing).

Although i do note you don't mention much about 4WD ability at all the other outside the box suggestion is something like a Sprinter cab chassis, or a transporter cab chassis/van usually have massive carrying capacities and a lot of them drive very nicely indeed there are 4WD versions but bring money and lots of it (around 80k plus). Iveco and Fiat (which seems to be the darling of the rental camper industry currently) also do similar vehicles. Again work out where you are going and what you want to do.

Of course option B is buy a tent and a station wagon stay in hotels camp every now and then, it will most likely be cheaper and easier.

ULost2
Here and there

Unread post by ULost2 » April 12th, 2012, 10:28 am

Darknight wrote: Of course option B is buy a tent and a station wagon stay in hotels camp every now and then, it will most likely be cheaper and easier.
ROF LOL I reckon most 4 wheel drivers/travelers could do that. It's amazing where the older 2 wheel drive cars with a bit ground clearance went before the 4b invasion and the "4x4 ONLY" signs appeared. Most of those cars would run past many of today's softy "4x4".

ATM the extra drive axle is just insurance for me as I'm too lazy to dig myself out of the occasional "bog"

m6sports
Been here a while

Unread post by m6sports » April 12th, 2012, 11:30 am

But calibrated, the Amarok 8-speed Auto won't have a low range transfer case. They recon 1st and 2nd will be low enough but time will tell
My camper trailer build
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=125437

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 12th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Thanks for that, Calibrated. There were a few vehicles that I excluded as they are not as common, so I figure parts may not be as readily available in remote locations. Unfortunately, the Amarok was one of those. Appreciate your help though! WW.

rolly82

Unread post by rolly82 » April 12th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Wendy,what ever you get at the end of the day,be sure to put some pictures up of your new ride :thumb:

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 12th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Hey there, Darknight - thanks for your thoughts. I have to say, the Defender has a face only a mother could love! The 4WD is not so much for bush bashing as just getting me out of any tricky spots (should I find myself in one) and for handling outback roads/tracks for day trips (not planning to tow the van across anything that's not considered a road - it has independent suspension, but I'm not taking it off-road). As such, comfort's more important that full-on 4WDing. Sprinter and Transporter...they don't look like they have the oomph behind them and the sites I've visited indicate only 2 tonne towing. Will do some more research though as I've only quickly skimmed for these. Tent and little Gemini is what I did years ago...I'm now older and (hopefully) wiser, with an appreciation of the finer things in life, so a caravan and good towing vehicle are a must this time around! Cheers, WW.

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 12th, 2012, 2:51 pm

rolly82 wrote:Wendy,what ever you get at the end of the day,be sure to put some pictures up of your new ride :thumb:
Will do, Brad! :)

stevezammit
Been here a while

Unread post by stevezammit » April 12th, 2012, 7:14 pm

I have a D40 Navara and it's a great tow vehicle since I spent money on suspension. Stock they are too soft in the bum for towing something with a tongue weight of 100kg+ and if you load the back you'll be digging trenches at times.
I would suggest airbags and/or heavy duty springs. I got Firestone airbags and heavier springs & shocks from The Ultimate Suspension and the ride when towing our van is absolutely fantastic. The airbags only get air if I put more than about 200kg in the back or have adult passengers in the back seat while towing.
You could probably get just a set of polyair bags and get a good tow setup for under $1000.

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » April 12th, 2012, 9:04 pm

if you do get a ute PLEASE do some research on air bags. In my opinion DON'T there is a lot of people with repaired chassis which have cracked because of them who will agree.
Cheers Oli

cac
Need to get out more

Unread post by cac » April 13th, 2012, 8:48 am

I like Rob's suggestion of the PB challenger.....seems to tick all the boxes, and its well within your budget, leaving you room for a few extras....

as for the Defender, it doesn't have an auto option, so that's another reason not to consider it, and I'm pretty sure its ergonomics wouldn't thrill you either.....
LN106 Hilux Project

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82487

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 13th, 2012, 11:18 am

I guess it's off to the car yard again this weekend - these poor sales guys, they'll soon be locking the door and running a mile as soon as they see me! Happy with the test drive of the Ranger, BT50 and Navara, so will check out the Challenger, and then put some of these pros and cons for these vehicles to the caravaning forum people to get their thoughts. Hopefully by the end of this I'll be able to make a pretty sound decision - caravan's arriving in early July, so I need vehicle pretty quickly to get familiarised before I need to start towing...and time is just flying by! I really want to thank you all for your help! Of course, if you do have any more pearls of wisdom, I'm all ears! Cheers, and thanks again, guys. WW.

wendyswheels
Here and there

Re: Mazda BT50 | Ford Ranger | Jeep Grand Cherokee

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 19th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Still researching! Checked out the Mits Challenger on the weekend. Sales manager was a little uncertain about Challenger being able to do the job - likely problems going up hills while towing van, but should be fine the rest of the time. Hmm... Decided to check out the Pajero while I was there - very nice to drive and included some useful bells and whistles. Only problem is it's designed for a tall driver. Even with the seat pumped up, I had to tilt my head each time I wanted to check the rear view mirror! Running out of options...Range Rover Discovery very nice, but too pricey for me, likewise the Toureg (spelling?).

Just came across the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and Limited models. They seem to have everything I need with some very nice specs (torque, power, fuel economy, towing capacity 3.5t) and all the safety features I was after...in addition to working with my budget. All the reviews I've come across for the 2012 models have been promising, and I'm seeing more Jeeps on the road, so assume they are gaining in popularity, but I really need some guidance as to whether these are a good, reliable towing vehicle, whether I'm going to have difficulties if I need to have repairs in a remote area, that sort of thing. On paper they look good, but I could really do with some straight talking from someone who knows these vehicles. I'm hoping to test drive on Sat. Any ideas? WW.

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » April 20th, 2012, 12:50 am

Hey Wendy,

sorry I cant help on the jeep thing. However, have a looking on www.pajeroclub.com.au.

There are a heap of dudes on here that are towing all sorts of caravans and campers with no problems. I think the sales guy didnt know what he is talking about.

Anyway, good luck with the choice, I cant see you going wrong with either of the choices you have made.

Enjoy,

Rob

wendyswheels
Here and there

Unread post by wendyswheels » April 20th, 2012, 10:50 am

Hey, Rob. Thanks for that.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Challenger very much, but it's a 2.5 litre, 4 cylinder engine with max torque as an auto of 350Nm and power of 131kW. For 4WD, I think it proves itself. However, for towing a 2.8t loaded van I'm not entirely sure that it will manage on the hills. I did, however, spend some time going through the site you suggested and I can see there are MANY happy Challenger owners and, yes, quite a few do tow vans. However, none of those vans that I came across entries for were above 2t. It was because of that nagging doubt that I checked out the Pajero last weekend. Not only do the specs reflect the extra grunt needed for towing, but it FEELS like it could cope with the task. Unfortunately, I'm just too short to comfortably use the rear view mirror, and sitting on a cushion doesn't do it for me! :)

I did, however, come across a comparison on that site where another person was considering the Challenger and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (why do they have such a long name?), which was very useful. For one of the respondents to that post, they drew a line in the sand with the Challenger being better suited for 4WD/offroad work, and the JGC for onroad requirements (it also has a higher towing capacity of 3.5t, whereas the Challenger is rated to 3t). Unfortunately, the Challenger is a very good price and the GJC, while having come down in price over the last few years, is still well above, so value for money definitely rests with the Challenger. For me, I will be doing more onroad and gravel/dirt track driving, rather than off-road and the towing capacity is a major criteria for my decision. As such, I'm definitely learning towards the JGC. I've booked in a test drive tomorrow, and will let you know how this goes. How on earth did we manage to gather info before the internet? Thanks so much, Rob, and everybody else who's been so kind as to offer their advice.

Just to clarify, the BT50 is my safety net in case the JGC doesn't live up to the specs in the flesh. The BT50 meets all criteria in full, except that it's not a wagon. Change that and I'd have ordered one by now! :) W.

PS. Yes, I do like the Ranger, but service wasn't that good when I requested assistance, and it's rather pricey.

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”