They're taking our country (and we're letting them)

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
BT50.Tourer
Here and there

They're taking our country (and we're letting them)

Unread post by BT50.Tourer » September 22nd, 2011, 4:41 pm

How many of us have turned up to a reported track only to find a locked gate. How many of us have turned up to a favourite camp ground to find bollards put up so the camper can’t go in. How many of us have taken the kids to a place our dad use to take us to find while the fire places are still there, you can’t light a fire or collect wood. How many of us are happy to resort to simple day drives only to find to cost of fuel means all we can afford is to stay home and watch Roothy and Graham have a good time.

And now....

Just when you thought the world was as crazy as it could ever be. This morning’s newspapers report Fosters (a terrible drop but they make up for it with VB) have accepted an offer from some combined South African/UK group. Yes, SAB Miller make beer, at least that’s what’s on the label. I’ve had the misfortune of trying some and it’s nothing compared to the old green can. In fact buy a Fosters in England and it’s not even a Fosters. It’s brewed by another company under license. Not even the same recipe. And it’s shocking.

Globalisation, and the proposed takeover, is meant to make us stronger. That would be like BHP, now BHP Billiton and based in the Netherlands. Or Rio Tinto (still listed as an Australian company but also listed in UK with their head office there too boot.)

Optus – Singapore Technologies
Arnott Biscuits – Kraft
Vegemite – same again
AWB - Agrium

The list just goes on. And as we sell more and more of the land beneath us to the Chinese, and any companies that were able to make a product are being sold to the Europeans (only because the US has run out of credit), what are our kids left with? Which brings me back to 4wding.

At least in the past, when faced with a locked gate, a set of bollards, a camp fire with no wood, or a Roothy video, at least you could crack open a can of VB and think how bad things would be if we did not at least have this last freedom.

Guess what, we've just sold that one too.

Enough rant. Perhaps no out there cares. Let me know if you do and I won’t feel like some fringe loony. Better still, stop buying VB now. And in fact any beer made by Fosters. Switch. Make it a boutique one though and be careful these guys are crafty and own a lot of boutique beers like James Boag. Tooheys too is owned by some Japanese mob so you can’t take refuge there. If you know a good, independent, and cheap beer, let us all know but even if you have to brew your own, stop buying Fosters products in protest.

And if you really want to get nasty, write to your superannuation fund and tell them how you are against them supporting this offer. OK, that one might cost you a few bucks in super but hey, with the markets heading south the way they have been you’ll never notice.

And then picture this, a world where Australians are not only known as good beer drinkers, but also fine brewers. A world we can travel with our heads held high and when some brit, or yank, or jap, or whoever, offers us one of their local brews, we take it kindly and politely and then inform them how it does not compare with the brew back home.

There, rant over, or perhaps just begun………

brad75troopy
Avid Poster

Re: They're taking our country (and we're letting them)

Unread post by brad75troopy » September 22nd, 2011, 5:39 pm

I thought this was going to be about muslims

h1lux
Been here a while

Unread post by h1lux » September 22nd, 2011, 5:41 pm

Just drink Coopers :thumb:

taslucas
Here and there

Unread post by taslucas » September 22nd, 2011, 6:13 pm

Know what you mean mate. Im from tassie and my favourite beer is Boags, its the best! Unfortunately by the time boags gets to the mainland it tastes bad (ive tried it in melbourne, and adelaide. It does not travel well). A few years ago it was bought out by the japanese which sucks for our economy but id have to say the quality has stayed the same.

one thing id have to strongly disagree with you about is the qualities of VB. I think its terrible and im ready and willing to take the abuse!! lol :drink:

nao
Avid Poster

Unread post by nao » September 22nd, 2011, 6:36 pm

economists call it globalisation but its really capitalism...

rich are capitalising on the poor, india, china are catching up, next it will be african nations.

about 100 years time the capitalist bubble will burst and the world economy will stall...

ranger2452
Need to get out more

Unread post by ranger2452 » September 22nd, 2011, 6:42 pm

brad75troopy wrote:I thought this was going to be about muslims
baahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha
W.A .......whingers anonymous
Coffs harbour.....4wd capital of the WORLD
Ranger2452 aka rebadgedmazda2452

mnpalmer
Been here a while

Unread post by mnpalmer » September 22nd, 2011, 8:18 pm

Back to the beer people! Coopers is the answer (just like h1lux said), and for something special Matso from Broome.... Problem solved... Who'd drink VB anyway!!!??

worthy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by worthy » September 22nd, 2011, 8:26 pm

nothing wrong with the taste of VB. Just different people have different tastes. I personally cant stand Tooheys New.
2000 Prado 3.0LTD Lifted and Locked
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=87167
Have IFS, Will Impress

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » September 22nd, 2011, 8:43 pm

I hate VB too but I will occasionly buy 1 fosters with me Carlton draughts just for the memory of the 80s with me dad. I havent tryed it yey but theres BROO larger
http://www.broo.com.au/australian_beer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coopers red is good, strong, but good :D
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

PDIDDY
Been here a while

Unread post by PDIDDY » September 22nd, 2011, 8:49 pm

Get over it. VB tastes like ass in a can...
Nothing like my home brew!

Bonk
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Bonk » September 22nd, 2011, 8:50 pm

I like mostly imported beer, but if I had to become very suddenly and instantly patriotic I reckon I could drink a LOT of the Mathilda Bay Brewing Company's Redback wheat beer.

... also, wtf? Comparing VB to Toohey's New is like trying to figure out whether it's better to have cancer or AIDs.

griz
Part of the furniture

Unread post by griz » September 22nd, 2011, 8:52 pm

Bonk wrote:

... also, wtf? Comparing VB to Toohey's New is like trying to figure out whether it's better to have cancer or AIDs.
Agreed...
That has to be the second biggest slingshot I've ever seen, but I guess it'll have to do.

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » September 22nd, 2011, 8:53 pm

Iv seen a sticker that said "Real friends wont let you drink VB". :p
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » September 22nd, 2011, 9:11 pm

XXXXgold for me mids, just brewed up a Pilsner in my new beer machine (thanks to wifey :) )

not too bad but needs an extra day brewing b4 going in the fridge

Darknight
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Darknight » September 22nd, 2011, 9:30 pm

They are taking Fosters and VB they can have it along with XXXX and westend, providing they promise never ever to bring any of them back!

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”