Ebay rules hassles

For the stuff that's NOT 4WD related, here's where you can come on in and discuss it, but do play nice!
Burko
Been here a while

Ebay rules hassles

Unread post by Burko » September 10th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Just listed a couple of items in Ebay. Large, pick up only items. I stated that I wanted it to be COD only and ebay chucked a poop saying I had to choose at least one safe payment method.

OK I put down Pay Pal but stated in ad I wanted it to be COD.

Now they are saying I am breaching rules by saying I will accept Pay Pal but adverting different.

Seriously. What a crock. I don't want the hassle of Pay Pal or Bank deposit. I just want it to be COD and they won't let me.

WA_WildTrak
Avid Poster

Re: Ebay rules hassles

Unread post by WA_WildTrak » September 10th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Advertise it somewhere else then?

Their website their rules. Life goes on.

Timmo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Timmo » September 10th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Just list it as pick-up only (no postage) with COD and Bank Deposit as an option.

If the winning bidder has to pick the item up then logic would suggest that they will pay cash at the same time.

Just make sure you write that the item will not be released until payment has cleared or cash presented at time of pick-up. 99.9% of people will choose to pay cash on pick-up rather than wait 3 days for a payment to clear then have to organise a time to pick-up.
Cheers,

Nathan

rogues
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rogues » September 10th, 2011, 6:57 pm

ebay owns paypal thats why they request it they make money twice on the sale if it sells through paypal. thats why they insist on one secure pay method.

FJ-Dave
Been here a while

Unread post by FJ-Dave » September 10th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Burko, i hear you mate.
i had my kayak up for sale on ebay, then they took it off as I had a note "will not accept paypal"

as you will know, paypal is something you HAVE to have as a payment method, like it or not.

so in my add now, thats on e-bay, i said cod or direct deposit prefered.

Dave

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » September 10th, 2011, 7:52 pm

Yeah i was sceptical about having to accept paypal,
With the items i've sold on their, i've only had one person pay me with paypal - the rest are all COD.

The only benefit i can see to paypal is for international purchases.

It's annoying being required to accept paypal, but its either that, or find another method of selling unwanted stuff.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » September 10th, 2011, 10:30 pm

eBay has continued to push the envelope in terms of how much tax it can extract from sellers. PayPal has allowed them to double dip through payment fees.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/23 ... change_us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/21/ebay_uk_fees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can be sure they'll continue to try things on for size.

PDIDDY
Been here a while

Unread post by PDIDDY » September 11th, 2011, 9:48 am

We recently sold some items on ebay, and got the same problem with having to use paypal. Made it very clear in the ad that paypal would not be accepted, even though they forced us to cop it. Never had a problem.

outback cruisa
Need to get out more

Unread post by outback cruisa » September 11th, 2011, 9:52 am

1 way around the paypal problem, is state in the ad, "if payment via paypal, a extra charge of 5% will apply to cover what the greedy paypal taxes me" and people will easily go the COD of bank transfer
Pathy Buildup: Project Pathy

4WDAction Issue 185 Full Feature

Jokah
Been here a while

Unread post by Jokah » September 11th, 2011, 9:58 am

I have an item on ebay at the moment and I did not have to list paypal as an option? I just ticked local pick up only, and ticked other and listed cash on pickup. I have not had any problems so far.

Burko
Been here a while

Unread post by Burko » September 11th, 2011, 11:24 am

Jokah wrote:I have an item on ebay at the moment and I did not have to list paypal as an option? I just ticked local pick up only, and ticked other and listed cash on pickup. I have not had any problems so far.

Did you tick the cash on delivery button as well. It wouldn't let me go unless I chose one of the secure payment options, i.e. Pay Pal or Bank Deposit. I wanted neither but had to choose at least one.

Burko
Been here a while

Unread post by Burko » September 11th, 2011, 11:32 am

outback cruisa wrote:1 way around the paypal problem, is state in the ad, "if payment via paypal, a extra charge of 5% will apply to cover what the greedy paypal taxes me" and people will easily go the COD of bank transfer

I like that. beats the rant I had. Might have to change it before the add gets booted

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alloy-Nudge- ... 9d2a37oted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » September 11th, 2011, 11:42 am

outback cruisa wrote:1 way around the paypal problem, is state in the ad, "if payment via paypal, a extra charge of 5% will apply to cover what the greedy paypal taxes me" and people will easily go the COD of bank transfer
5% extra, thats what I do^^^ & write cash on pick up prefered
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Jokah
Been here a while

Unread post by Jokah » September 11th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Burko wrote:
Jokah wrote:I have an item on ebay at the moment and I did not have to list paypal as an option? I just ticked local pick up only, and ticked other and listed cash on pickup. I have not had any problems so far.

Did you tick the cash on delivery button as well. It wouldn't let me go unless I chose one of the secure payment options, i.e. Pay Pal or Bank Deposit. I wanted neither but had to choose at least one.

I just checked, and no, i dont have COD selected. I selected other, and made it say see sellers instructions. It all went through fine for me, though it may be different selling a vehicle to normal everyday items

4.2GUst

Unread post by 4.2GUst » September 11th, 2011, 5:31 pm

i deal with ebay each day and they give me the shites !! seriously one day the rules are this the next day they are that !! its so anoying we cant even list multiple items only one at a time the days are gone of havong a few of the same thing so more people can purchase at one time not they are singular listings and once that time runs out it gets relisted !!

if you put down bank deposit as a method they accept that
you can also put down in your ad that i have to accept the following bank deposit or pay pal but cod is prefered
i believe ebay only want u to use paypal as they would be recieving some form of kick back from paypal !

Return to “Chit Chat - all the stuff that's NOT Fourby or 4WD related!”