Fj Cruiser to cease production for the USA

Darknight
Part of the furniture

Fj Cruiser to cease production for the USA

Unread post by Darknight » September 12th, 2013, 9:41 am

A vehicle some people love to hate and it seems the rest are completely apathetic about. Supposedly we will continue to get them as a product of the Japanese market production but the local sales numbers is no where near enough to keep the production lines open. Not even the americans actually want them.

References

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/to ... axed-36849

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/toyo ... odel-year/

BMKal
Part of the furniture

Re: Fj Cruiser to cease production for the USA

Unread post by BMKal » September 13th, 2013, 8:57 am

I like the way that they claim this thing to be the "successor" of the original 40 series.

The "successor" to the 40 series is today's 70 series Landcruiser. These things are not even vaguely related to the 40 series, apart from a few styling cues.

I test drove one a while ago as I was seriously considering buying one (one of the blokes at work bought one, and the deal that we could get through our work on one of these - or any Toyota - was not to be sneezed at). When you consider what you are getting for the money, they're actually pretty good value when compared to many other similar sized vehicles available today.

But there's just too many reasons why I could not live with one and ended up buying elsewhere. Way too impractical for my requirements, and without a diesel option, simply not in contention when it comes to fuel economy. Not knocking the 4L V6 engine - I've had a few Prado's and love this engine - just as long as I have a company fuel card.

Still like the look of some of these though - saw a very nice black one in Perth the other day with a bit of lift, some decent wheels and tyres, and an XROX bar fitted - first time I think I've ever seen anything that actually suits the XROX bar (which I normally regard as a piece of crap). Was a very impressive looking vehicle.

Maybe if they're dropping them in the US and Australia is going to continue to be supplied with the Japanese market model - they might actually hang the rear door on the right side of the vehicle - just to get rid of one of the most annoying faults with the locally sold version.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » September 13th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Missed opportunity. This could have been the 4th post in the FJ sub forum! ;-p

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 13th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Fixed it for you! :D And left a link so no-one can possibly miss it! ;)

Can't say I'm going to be too upset about it, I don't think they are all that 'iconic' a Fourby! IMO there are lots better examples out there, some even come from the same manufacturer!! But the article does reckon that they'll continue making a right hand drive version for Aust and a few other places - is the market here big enough to warrant that??
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “FJ Cruiser”