2006 landcruiser ute

cuz
I'm new, be nice!

2006 landcruiser ute

Unread post by cuz » November 16th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Hi guys,i have just bought this ute with 131ks on clock,real staight
cab ,but has a cracked chassis just infront of gearbox mounting bracket
it is cracked enought to let tray rest on cab,not enough to pull away so that when jacked up
it closes crack.first question if i plat it would it be legal,the line of the of the chassis is ok,any suggestions
re this would be appreciated,please note im out bush,but a very good welder is on hand.it is diesel 6
not turbo,price was good,what do you bthink ???? Cuz

stretch4x4

Re: 2006 landcruiser ute

Unread post by stretch4x4 » November 16th, 2011, 5:52 pm

You would have to talk to an engineer to get it legal.
If you can't do this before the fix take lots and lots of photos as you do it to show the engineer at a later date..
Make sure whoever does the welding knows about shaping the plate so that it doesn't induce cracking again in the future.

Of course a few people would probably say that if you do a good job of it, spray paint it black and then get it muddy nobody would ever know..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

cuz
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cuz » November 16th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Thanks Stretch,i dont want to do a dodgey job,was hoping some one
had done this type of repair before,will get welding done out here
than hopefully get it passed,may have to keep it lol Cuz

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » November 16th, 2011, 8:49 pm

Good to hear,

If you have the time, some of the more experience members should be able to advise on the techniques on how to do it right. But best bet to get it legal is to ring an engineer and send some photos. They will tell you exactly how they want it done to get it checked off properly.
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

KUSTOM V840
Avid Poster

Unread post by KUSTOM V840 » November 17th, 2011, 5:38 am

cuz wrote:Hi guys,i have just bought this ute with 131ks on clock,real staight
cab ,but has a cracked chassis just infront of gearbox mounting bracket
it is cracked enought to let tray rest on cab,not enough to pull away so that when jacked up
it closes crack.first question if i plat it would it be legal,the line of the of the chassis is ok,any suggestions
re this would be appreciated,please note im out bush,but a very good welder is on hand.it is diesel 6
not turbo,price was good,what do you bthink ???? Cuz
Hey Mate, Ive fixed a few chassis in my time. What I do is jack it up so it closes the crack and lines everything back up. I then tack weld it. Put a straight edge along the chassis to make sure its straight. Make up a fish plate about 300mm, (engineers like to see 150mm over each side of a join or repair) Groove out the crack with a grinding wheel, clamp a length of angle iron to the chassis rail to keep it straight while you weld it up. Fit the fish plate to the outside of the chassis rail with 150mm overlap over your crack once you have ground it up to let the fish plate sit flush. The fish plate is not to be welded all the way around, just stitch welded on. I usually put 4 to 6 high tensile 1/2" bolts thru the plate and chassis as well.

Hope this helps.
KUSTOM

Return to “FJ Cruiser”