wiring up a trailer plug

Mooney
Part of the furniture

wiring up a trailer plug

Unread post by Mooney » May 20th, 2013, 4:00 pm

hi guys, Im making an enquiry for a mate. he has a TJM rear step/towbar on his ROK and we need to put a 7 pin flat trailer plug on. I have tried searching ausamarok but th site seems to be down. can we just run the wires straight off the rer tail lights like we used to do in the old days or do we ACTUALLY NEED the factory loom?. he had an amarok as a company vehicle a couple of years back and when they installed the plug they did it straight off the tail lights. should it not be done this way & if so, what might happen?
Have a good one,
Moony.

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: wiring up a trailer plug

Unread post by oversite » May 20th, 2013, 4:06 pm

I dont know if its proper or not, nut I have wired up many trailer plugs straight from the tail lights!

Mooney
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mooney » May 20th, 2013, 4:33 pm

me too oversite but i have read a bunch of stuff about the Amarok that recons the computer will chuck a spaz if it is not done corretly
Have a good one,
Moony.

oversite
Need to get out more

Unread post by oversite » May 20th, 2013, 6:33 pm

then just remove it all,

I dont think the computer would be hooked up to measure the voltage drop on the rear lights? but maybe?

Oigle
Avid Poster

Unread post by Oigle » May 24th, 2013, 3:02 am

Hello Mooney
Two things to check before you patch directly to the tail lamp circuits.
1. Do each of the circuits for the tail lamps have enough capacity for the added load of the trailer? If not, you can't do it this way without at the minimum blowing fuses, at the worst, creating a thermal incident.
2. Are any of the circuits in the tail lamps monitored. This is normally done using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) currently. If they are monitored then the ECU will log trouble codes, shut circuits down and display warnings, and the trailer lamps won't work.
Quick Google search suggests you need a module, but there are numerous after market parts available on line.
Cheers
Oigle
EDIT - This may help http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/file ... 01-004.pdf

Return to “VW Amarok”