Shut down ya Amarok no drive today - CANBUS Electricals

mydmax
Need to get out more

Shut down ya Amarok no drive today - CANBUS Electricals

Unread post by mydmax » November 8th, 2011, 9:42 pm

The VW Amarok uses a Can Bus ( Controlled Area Network) electrical system. Good for VW, nightmare for anyone who buys one. You cannot connect things as you might do on other vehicles because the Amarok will detect the extra current flow and shut down the VW. Now it won't go what do you do. A Ute Canopy company in High Street Northcote Melb probed one to find out the wires to fit a canopy = VW not going anymore. VW had to reprogram the Amarok to make it go again. Canopy company red faced. If you want to fit electrical extras and not pay BIG $ for it from VW make sure whoever works on your Amarok knows this and knows what they are doing with electronics. There are ways and means.

Bets Regards mydmax

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Re: Shut down ya Amarok no drive today

Unread post by TroopiePete » November 8th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Yep cars with CAN ... can be fun, something best not messed with!
Something to look for but not always the sign of this are two cables with a twist running with cables that are not twisted!
If you see this in a wiring loom it's best not to play with those cables and be very careful what else you play with.

Mates car has this running through it - gives me the shivers each time he plays with the thing :boggle:
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » November 9th, 2011, 5:59 am

Yep this is becoming more and more common with the newer vehicles, also with regards to some european models, you're not able to reprogram any of the ECU's. So if one fails and your out of warranty, straight back to the dealer for a new ecu. Secondhand will not work. This also extends to some of the instrument clusters as well.

I'll stick my old Jackaroo, nowhere near as many electrics and less sensitive to my tinkering :D
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

calibrated
Avid Poster

Unread post by calibrated » November 9th, 2011, 9:53 am

Canbus isnt exactly new technology...

Sure, its confusing for the bush mechanics, but anybody with half a brain that does things properly the 1st time, wont have any issues.

Which canopy company are you talking about? because I have not heard of ANY issues with the canbus in the Amarok... and believe me, if there were issues, I'd know about it. I have a few accessories wired up on mine....... :rolleyes:
VW Amarok Trendline
http://www.ausamarok.com.au - Amarok Club Australia
http://www.wolf4x4.com.au - 4WD Accessories

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » December 18th, 2011, 9:09 pm

dont know about the amarok, but im trying to get rid of late model vw transporter. theres only one word to describe vw. RUBBISH. gone back to old things with no computers that can actually be fixed. sure they use a bit more juice and not as nice to drive. but id rather eat the 80 i just bought then get another new car

Mungrel
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Mungrel » December 19th, 2011, 6:24 am

I hear similar comments from customers many times at work. In fact a lot of work shops make similar complaints about modern vehicles they work on. In my experience this is largely because they haven't got the required equipment (usually computer hardware / software) to accurately diagnose / clear fault codes. Modern cars are becoming increasingly complex, and as with any new vehicle, the after-market suppliers and non dealership workshops take time to catch up.
If it can't be fixed with duct tape or a hammer, It must be electrical
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=138912&hilit=mungrel%27
Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/MungrelImages

When in doubt,

flyingants
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Shut down ya Amarok no drive today - CANBUS Electricals

Unread post by flyingants » January 29th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Clearly you blokes don't realise that VW have supplied connections for everything you're likely to need up under the dash on the driver's side, with no risk to the CANBUS and no need to 'chop in' to anything.

Smart thinking VW!

Temelj
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Shut down ya Amarok no drive today - CANBUS Electricals

Unread post by Temelj » January 27th, 2015, 10:56 am

You need a VAGCOM (yeah funny in english!) cable to talk to any VW. ECU Flashing can be done. Look at APR Tuning for the Golf.

Sorry but there is nothing wrong with CANBUS. But if you don't know anything about it, best not to touch. Can brick yer ride like yer iPhone.

Return to “VW Amarok”