Jacksons Crossing

The new home for any 4WD related videos!
bourkey2
Getting to know the place

Jacksons Crossing

Unread post by bourkey2 » February 2nd, 2015, 11:44 pm

G'day.
After recently discovering 4WD Action Magazine on a trip away and then the website only a few days ago I signed up straight away. I am amazed at how much information is here about all things 4WD and wish I had discovered it years ago. This technology thing is amazing Ha! I am very much looking forward to increasing my limited knowledge through the info given by so many!
Thought I'd share some videos I have made of the places we've been starting with Jacksons Crossing. A great way to get from Orbost to the Barry Way through some spectacular countryside and the (once) Mighty Snowy River.
Bourkey2

http://youtu.be/vK6fXJ85uDI
Live Your Life!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Jacksons Crossing

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 7th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Great spot, isn't it?! Good vid, thanks Bourkey, & welcome to the Forum too! ;)

Just don't forget that back before the Snowy Scheme went ahead, that '(once) mighty Snowy River' you talk about used to be pretty much a dry rocky bed with a dribble of water (if that) in it for basically 9 months of the year, and it was only a mighty raging banker of a river for a few months at most in the good years, ie only if the snow fall the preceding winter was good in the Mountains!!

After the Snowy Dams went in, not only did the rest of Australia benefit massively from the water diverted westwards by the Scheme & also do well out of the power generated by the water along the way down the mountains; but we all benefitted in other ways from the massive influx of workers & the technological advances that building the Scheme brought about (it wasn't & still isn't known as one of the 'Engineering Marvels of the Modern World' for nothing! ;) ) but the water that was released down the Snowy River was still a reasonably substantial amount during the snow melt months & some of the cleanest water in Aust; at least for a couple of hundred metres past Jindabyne Dam. It was only the way water was pumped out & other contaminants pumped in below the dams that turned the Snowy River into a sluggish & barely running sewer!! And sadly despite the greater flows that are now released (that still don't replicate the dry/flood patterns of pre Snowy Scheme days) many of te things that turned the Snowy into a drain are still happening, but they tend to get glossed over in the push for 'environmental flows'!! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

bourkey2
Getting to know the place

Unread post by bourkey2 » February 9th, 2015, 12:52 am

Hey mate.

Yes it is an amazing spot and thanks for the thanks!

I totally agree with what you have written about the scheme and I have spent plenty of time over the years checking out many parts of it. An awe inspiring story. In December last year it was 50 years since the "new" town of Jindabyne was declared open. I was there in January this year (as is usual because New Years Eve in Thredbo is a great night!) and in the windows of some of the shops and also in the information centre there are many photos and stories of the lead up to the flooding of the valley and the building of the scheme itself.

Although the "environmental flows" have their positives and negatives, I am very keen this October to drive from Buchan north to the Barry Way and on to Jindabyne with an overnight stop at McKillops Bridge while the flushing flow released from Jindabyne dam is at its peak. I think it will be quite amazing to see the Snowy River in it's "mighty" stage. Particularly from the viewpoint of McKillops Bridge. It is something that I am very much looking forward to.

On my Youtube Channel there are 2 short videos called Little River Junction Camping Area http://youtu.be/BfSgntL0dgU
and Rafting On The Snowy River http://youtu.be/c9b7VtiOr6M
The 1st is a camping area not far from McKillops Bridge right on the Snowy where we often stay. A picturesque and private spot on a no through road where very few people go. I love it.
The 2nd is the boys rafting from McKillops Bridge to Little River Junction.

I love the Snowy River. It just has something about it that grabs me.

Bourkey.
Live Your Life!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » February 9th, 2015, 10:24 am

Yeah, it is a wonderful area, lots of great tracks around there as well!! :thumb: I know the Little River Camp area quite well; I reckon I helped feed that lizard up when it was younger so that it could grow as big as it is today!! Can't say I ever rafted down the Snowy on a rubber raft tho - I'd think that the 'boats' & ,rafts' we used might've been a tad more fragile! They seemed to cop a fair bit more of a hiding from the rocks than yours did!!

Looking up at McKillops Bridge from the water & even just checking out the river valley from the bridge deck itself, it's bloody hard to believe that way back when it was first built (started in 1931 - pre Snowy Scheme, wasn't properly finished until 1936) & it had a much shallower steel frame carrying the timber road deck (the 'new technology' state of the art thing called 'arc welding' made the cantilevered steel framework possible... before it was common use anywhere else in the world!) so that the road deck was mounted pretty much directly on the top of the concrete pylons, the first big flood (in 1934) meant the water flow was deep, fast, & wide enough to take out the deck!!! I can't remember the 'proper' stats anymore, but I think that meant the flooded river valley was filled with water that was about 40m deep in the middle & more than 200 metres wide!! :eek: That's a massive amount of water flowing down the river & dumping into the sea!!

During the re-building, the original concrete abutments that carried the road at the sides of the valley were converted into additional pylons & the road moved further up the bank, with the 'shallow' steel trusses carrying the road deck replaced with a taller & stronger cantilever/truss arrangement that lifted the road deck 5 or so metres & took the length of the bridge out to more than 250 metres!! And yet there were still floods over the next 30 odd years before Jindabyne Dam was completed that meant the water reached the bottom of the road deck!! It might've taken 4.5 hours to paddle/float the 11km in that vid, but imagine surfing that sort of flood!! It wouldv'e taken maybe 4.5 minutes, or maybe only that long to reach the sea from the Bridge!! It's almost impossible to imagine that sort of water flow in that valley these days isn't it?! But then, experiencing that sort of water flow now would create catastrophic damage further downstream, there's a few towns that would simply cease to exist, let alone considering the damage that would be done by much water flow to the bush & farming lands the Snowy River passes thru between the Bridge & the sea!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “4WD Videos”