Super suoer capacitor

Got a random vid worth sharing, do it here!
nilla60

Super suoer capacitor

Unread post by nilla60 » February 16th, 2013, 8:22 pm

This is serious wow stuff. If it works in a few we'll be looking at our current electrical stuff the same way we look back on steam power or our kids look at landline only phones, "what do you mean you had to *wait* for you battery to charge?"

http://vimeo.com/51873011

whizzo
Need to get out more

Re: Super suoer capacitor

Unread post by whizzo » February 17th, 2013, 10:20 am

Yes this may be an energy storage revolution.......but we'll have to wait and see.

We have had super capacitors of some sort for a couple of decades now and before lithium polimer batteries came arround they where touted and used as memory back up power storage.

Like Li Po.....there will probably be some sort of drawback.

They are also working on some sort of organic battery over at UQ......the problem with it as I understand is that it wont tolerate being partly charge or partly discherged.....I am sure there are many battery technologies in deveopment......I'll be interested to see if any of them work out to be viable.

cheers

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Unread post by BrAdAsS » February 17th, 2013, 11:18 am

I've looked into purchasing one a few times for the audio system. Once charged, supplying 200+Amps for 4+ seconds with no battery is alluring.

Although with time this is improving, the discharge curves leave a bit to be desired.
When the voltage level decreases or the unit is being drawn upon, the output is not linear and output drops off exponentially over time. When or if it does discharge, this then becomes another load on the charging system.

In most cases with car audio as I'm sure a few here would have seen, capacitors are used as crude bandaid's for an underpowered electrical system. Although that may work when borderline, this is not the intended use. The intended uses benefit in the way of filtering for high frequency noise and voltage ripple smoothing.

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » February 17th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Yeah, it's still a capacitor, but I can see a combination of a bunch of new technologies like other nano stuff and 3D printing potentially doing a similar thing as integrated circuits did for electronics in terms of efficiency. No one really knows what the winning ingredients will be (if I did, I'd be buying shares, not posting here), but it''s good to see lots of promising work.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1227 ... dvd-burner

This graph puts the work into perspective, that's a log scale and you can see how traditional capacitors have similar charge/discharge performance (green line), but the graphene equivalents (purple and light blue) approach Lithium Ion batteries for stored energy density (but without all the mucking about for charging)
These graphene supercapacitors could really change the technology landscape. While computing power roughly doubles every 18 months, battery technology is almost at a standstill. Supercapacitors, which suffer virtually zero degradation over 10,000 cycles or more, have been cited as a possible replacement for low-energy devices, such as smartphones. With their huge power density, supercapacitors could also revolutionize electric vehicles, where huge lithium-ion batteries really struggle to strike a balance between mileage, acceleration, and longevity. It’s also worth noting, however, that lithium-ion batteries themselves have had their capacity increased by 10 times thanks to the addition of graphene. Either way, then, graphene seems like it will play a major role in the future of electronics.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Fully charge your batteries in just seconds.

Unread post by Ezookiel » February 18th, 2013, 10:44 am

or charge your electric vehicle in a minute!
This could be a game changer .... http://www.upworthy.com/see-the-scienti ... tery-l?g=3

Mobile phones you charge for just a few seconds before you leave the house, GPS, Camera, Tablet PC, Laptop, the whole works. There's apparently now a version like this using both carbene and nanotube technology that has 10x the storage capacity.
This would not only solve the problem of how long an electric vehicle takes to charge, but also how HEAVY the batteries make them.
It could be an interesting new world in the not too distant future.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Re: Fully charge your batteries in just seconds.

Unread post by typhoeus » February 18th, 2013, 11:32 am

Looks like you could 'paint " the battery onto the appliance. . If they could combine that technology with new solar charging ideas, who knows what is possible. Interesting indeed!!

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » February 18th, 2013, 11:44 am

Looks interesting, but the discharge rate would need to be slowed to make it viable.

muzza01
Part of the furniture

Unread post by muzza01 » February 18th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I can't wait.. Maybe wetcell batteries will also be a thing of the past sooner.
105 Series Turbo Diesel Cruza, 3 inch mandrel Taipan exhaust, BFG Km2's, 12K lb winch. 3 inch lift. Steel rear bar and twin wheel carriers. Dual Batteries with monitor, Brush bars, side steps, Roof Rack, Cargo barrier, UHF.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » February 18th, 2013, 1:27 pm

It could be that the device itself is the battery. There would be no reason why a modern digital camera for example, couldn't actually have parts of it made out of this product, or incorporate the product into it's manufacture in some way, so that there's no longer a battery or battery compartment so-say, but rather the body is made from or coated with this super-super-capacitor.

Return to “General Videos”