4wders in ACT.

Scacey
Getting to know the place

Re: 4wders in ACT.

Unread post by Scacey » June 27th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Bluehilux, are you keen to come out this Sunday?

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » June 27th, 2012, 9:41 pm

I'm ok with Saturday 7th or Sunday 8th.
My daughter and her boyfriend want to go 4wding as he's never been apparently.

The daughter and her boyfriend need to be back in Canberra too early on Sat night to gamble on going out there on Saturday in case we get back late, but I might even be able to be convinced to do both days - do Saturday with you lot, and Sunday for them.
I'm pretty flexible.
I do want to get back up the Mt Franklin road while it's still open as the last time up there I grabbed my camera and found both the battery, and the spare battery, were dead and was really disappointed to get no photos at all. So a chance to do over with both batteries charged up would be great (now have an incar charger as well just in case).

The trip with the daughter and boyfriend would probably be down to Flea Creek for Morning tea, up to McIntyre's and/or Lowell's flat for a BBQ lunch, and home via Mt Coree for an afternoon tea.
I know very little of the Mt Franklin area, and the 4wding up the Mt Franklin road is minimal unless there are side tracks that I don't know about.
Like I said, I'm reasonably flexible. So who would be interested? I'm assuming:
bluehilux, but what about yourself Scacey? Would the following weekend work for you instead of this weekend.

Scacey

Unread post by Scacey » June 27th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Could be heading out the following Sunday as well with some guys from work. They want to check out down Tharwa way. Not sure where, I'm assuming over towards Namadgi, but I have to make sure I'm not pushing the luck with the gate keeper (or handbrake) as well. You're more than welcome to come along then if you want?

Need to head out this weekend as I'm going to show some guys Flea Creek and McIntyres etc.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » June 27th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Scacey wrote:Could be heading out the following Sunday as well with some guys from work. They want to check out down Tharwa way. Not sure where, I'm assuming over towards Namadgi,
I thought all that way is in Namadgi National Park so no access to 4wds - only on made roads.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » June 28th, 2012, 6:31 am

Namadgi has very little in the way of access unfortunately. A few side tracks here and there, but nothing that goes very far. Well not that I'm aware of, but happy to be corrected if people know some legitimate places.

Scacey

Unread post by Scacey » June 28th, 2012, 12:57 pm

bluehilux wrote:i apologise scacey for saying that you didn't know the area :redface:

don't forget your thermals :) it will be windy/cold this weekend by the looks of it.
No worries Bluehilux I actually missed that post :lol: To be honest, I don't blame you, I have only been up a couple of times, so I don't claim to be an expert. Maybe I'll see how Sun 8 Jul goes and if there is not much interest I will come along with you guys, but I will let you know.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » July 2nd, 2012, 4:04 pm

I'll assess it at the time depending on the weather the rest of this week before heading down on Sunday, but Mud Terrains and Traction Control that sends drive to the non-slipping wheels, has me relatively confident that I'll get there and back, but will continually reasssess the whole way. It wouldn't be the first time I've gone part way down a track and decided not to go any further when I've reached something that would risk damage, or lives/health.
Really hoping that it will be navigable. Flea Ck is nice, but it's hardly my favourite part of the Brindies by any stretch.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 2nd, 2012, 6:13 pm

I doubt there will be any issues getting into or out of that area as long as there are no trees down. My Freelander can get in and out of there even in heavy rain so a normal 4wd should have no real issues.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 2nd, 2012, 6:18 pm

About 2 months ago

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 2nd, 2012, 6:44 pm

Is not far from home - I could almost see it if Mt Coree wasn't in the way. Thinking about doing a quick drive down there tomorrow to check it out.

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » July 2nd, 2012, 8:36 pm

A mate last week decided to leave one vehicle at the top (near the trashed ford) and all go down together in the only vehicle with muddies, but it was wet and snow covered, and he didn't want to risk sliding off on one of the bends at the bottom of a steep descent.
Smart move I guess, as I have had a mate lose traction coming down to a bend once, and he says it was the closest he's come to a brown pants moment ever, as he only regained traction just in time to not go over the edge and make the bend. I have to say those skinny road tyres on stock standard Troopies would be a bit scary in some conditions. The muddies on the Triton never gave me a moment's concern on the day, but I can see how he struggled. It had also been freshly graded at the time, and that seems to leave a thin layer of dust on the top that turns to slime in the wet.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 3rd, 2012, 5:15 pm

bluehilux wrote:Not far from me either ;) Just took this walking my dog this afternoon.
Coree --->>>>> way ;)
That looks as if it is taken just west of Weston Creek or maybe down to Kambah.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 3rd, 2012, 5:53 pm

Ezookiel wrote:A mate last week decided to leave one vehicle at the top (near the trashed ford) and all go down together in the only vehicle with muddies, but it was wet and snow covered, and he didn't want to risk sliding off on one of the bends at the bottom of a steep descent.
I went down there today - a real mixed bag of conditions.

I left Brindabella Road and turned onto Curries Road and then onto Pabral Road up the northern side of Mt Coree. Was a little damp and some sections very heavy clay - clogged up the KM2s (muddies like mud but hate clay - they clog up like any other tyre). Nevertheless the climb up was Ok - usual mudholes and wombat holes on the road between Coree and Two Sticks. I went across from Two Sticks Road to the wrecked Falcon at the start of Waterfall Trail vias Dinga Ridge Trail - again no issues - dry on the crests and damp in the hollows.

Waterfall Trail was as you indicated - was more damp than the trails and clay on some of the sharp bends but was all basically OK as long as you went slow. There was on exception where one of the bends was really chewed up with smooth clay on the inside and deep clay on the outside - this is the spot that I figured would be the stopper on the way back. I did some snow plowing to get around the bend but slow and steady was Ok with a bit of controlled understeer. Macintyres Trail was quite good - at the turnoff to Lowells flat there were signs on both tracks indicating Hazards ahead but on the last drop down to Macintyres there were no issues.

Down on the flat all looked pretty pristine - the Hut was OK except for broken windows :( . There was a bit of chewed up areas where someone had decided to play in the damp grassy areas and turn it into mud.

To minimise damage to the track back up I aired down to 20psi and headed back up - no major issues until I got to the chewed up uphill bend which I figured might be interesting. Starting into it was OK but on turning to go up momentum was lost - back to 1000rpm with tyres just turning over and it pulled through - on that bend spinning wheels would have been a stopper and indeed if I actually came to a stop I would have had to back down for another go - the rest of the trip back out was fine.

So really the only area of concern was that bend - not an issue for me as my winch has 65m of cable, 20m winch extension strap etc so was always going to get out. Without these security features I would have been circumspect about going down there by myself - muddies just got filled with the clay so I am not sure they were any better than an AT. Doing it in the safety of a group would be OK but by yourself without a winch would mean a bit of manual work (or an unwise charge up the hill).

Cheers

Garry

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 3rd, 2012, 6:59 pm

Salsbury front and rear 5.7:1.

Scacey

Unread post by Scacey » July 3rd, 2012, 9:48 pm

G'day guys,

I was up there on Sunday and had a mixed bag of weather. Heavy snow at the top of Mt Coree and even on the power line track. Finishing the track was impossible because of the slippery conditions. A couple of guys in GQs with big 33's were sliding sideways down the big hill which was also covered in snow.

McIntyre's trail was closed due to deteriorated conditions as well as the road to lowell's flat. We didn't want to risk it, only due to not being covered by insurance if anything did go wrong. Two Sticks road was closed just after the Curries Rd turn off heading towards Picadilly Circus.

Trip went from Picadilly Circus, west along Brindabella Rd, down Gentle Annie's to Flea Creek. A few campers down there also. Went up Webbs Ridge trail to the Powerline track. Went up that until two sticks and then up to the top of Mt Coree for lunch. That was sunny when we arrived and like a blizzard half way through lunch until we left. Back down for some fun on the power line track and spent most of the afternoon recovering vehicle after vehicle. Headed back up towards two sticks as any further along the power line track was impossible. Down Curries Rd, which was pretty nice. I haven't been along there before. Aired up on Brindabella Rd and went home. In bed, absolutely stuffed at 8:30pm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Australian Capital Territory”