4wders in ACT.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Re: 4wders in ACT.

Unread post by garrycol » July 3rd, 2012, 10:49 pm

Where the Patrol was bogged down was that in the bogholes under the powerlines just near the intersection of the Powerline Track and Two Sticks? I have only been in there twice. The first time I came down the hill at the north and the bog holes were about 200m wide and I got stuck.
The holes were the same size as the tyres and in gear at idle all four wheels were turning - the wheels are actually turning in the pic. Was a real pain to get out as there was nothing to hook up the winch nearby - ended up taking all my 65m cable out and adding a 20m winch extension strap to reach one of the electricity towers. That was a cold day with snow everyday.

Second time last spring and went into a hole 3 foot deep and damaged my bumper (3' off the ground) but was able to back out - both times was buy myself so I have learnt my lesson so will not go there anymore unless with someone else.

There was still snow on the Dingi Ridge Track today - temp was a constant 5-6 degrees.

Here is my car one week after I got it on the Angel Crossing road - had to get my Freelander to snatch it out. The RRS was beached on the hard centre of the road and each time I raised the suspension to clear it (max 320mm clearance) it just pushed the wheels further into the mud. When I get muddies on the RRS it will easily outperform the truck and with its electronic gadgets would easily cover what I did today.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 4th, 2012, 10:29 pm

No chance of that - it was quite happy sitting in the mud - front and rear wheels turning - I have some Max Tracs now so it I had them under the back wheels it would have come out but as it was it was not going any where.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 5th, 2012, 12:51 pm

So where are the good legal fishing spots up in Brindies? I am a good salt water fisherman but never fished fresh water. I assume there are cod (to be returned) and trout in the rivers and creeks but what else can you take up there - or even in the Murrumbidgee.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » July 5th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Thanks

Return to “Australian Capital Territory”