4wders in ACT.

pricklefoot
I'm new, be nice!

4wders in ACT.

Unread post by pricklefoot » August 5th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Hi, just looking for anybody thats in the Canberra region that is keen to meet for day or weekend trips. I've been living here for years now but i don't really know many people with fourby's and i'm keen to meet a few more. I've been a member of a local club but found it wasn't right for me. Does anyone ever organise forum trips in the area?

Dave40xx
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 4wders in ACT.

Unread post by Dave40xx » August 8th, 2011, 8:31 pm

I dont know mate, but a few of my work mates and I dissappear after work every now and then... I'll keep you in the loop if you like

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » August 8th, 2011, 10:28 pm

What grade of trip are you interested in?
A couple of mates and I try to get out of Canberra as often as we can. Was camping up in the Brindies on Friday night actually. But we also do Bendethera, Blue Water Holes, Berlang, and any others we can find. We've even done McIntyre's etc just as a day trip for a BBQ lunch, so more than happy to let you know next time we're heading out.

I'm actually also looking for other ACT 4wders, but I'm looking specifically for people who have weekdays off. I work shiftwork, so often work the weekend and get a couple of days off during the week, but I'm generally reluctant to go 4wding without at least one other vehicle along just in case.

Don't necessarily give up on the club scene either. The ACT has a huge range of clubs, from those madly into modding the heck out of vehicles, through to family oriented clubs that cover the majority of normal 4wding, and pretty much everything in between. It might be worth trying some of the others, as there's sure to be one that suits your style.

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 8th, 2011, 11:26 pm

As I posted on the other thread on the same topic

Depending on where and when - I could be interested.

Easier trips - take my car and harder use my truck. The car is more capable than the truck but costs a lot more to repair.

Ezookiel - As I am now retired, I am often available during the week for day trips. The Landy FC 101 is good enough for most things - basically bog standard has 35s, equivalent of 5" lift, detroit rear, pto winch, and virtually no wheel travel.

Garry
RRS 2.7TDV6
FC 101

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » August 10th, 2011, 8:55 am

LOL. 35's and 5" lift !
You'd drive that thing right over my Triton !

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 10th, 2011, 10:07 am

Ezookiel wrote:LOL. 35's and 5" lift !
You'd drive that thing right over my Triton !
It actually has no lift - just built that way :) .

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 10th, 2011, 10:12 am

Ezookiel wrote:You'd drive that thing right over my Triton !
No - don't drive over them but I have been known to recover them from time to time :waycool:

ymy-88u
Avid Poster

Unread post by ymy-88u » August 10th, 2011, 3:52 pm

hahaha, ahh me and my mates go out every weekend to fortnight just play around corin and cotter, espesh after the rains been here as around corin its just clay and keeps us on our toes, we havent been to mcintyres hut or anywhere like that mainly cause we dunno how to get there
V8 79 Series (175rwkw) & HJ47 W2A intercooled & turbo (75rwkw) both methanol injected

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 10th, 2011, 4:28 pm

ymy-88u wrote:we havent been to mcintyres hut or anywhere like that mainly cause we dunno how to get there
Head north along Webb Trail (join either via Powerlines or Gentle Annie (Flea Creek) and turn left onto Waterfall Trail and it should take you down to McIntyres Hut. Nice easy drive even in the wet but a lot of clay as well.

Garry

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » August 10th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Hmmm...
I'm sensing it might be time to lead a small "Get to know your Brindies trip"

Fresh morning coffee at McDonald's in Weston.
Morning tea at Mt Coree (Brindabella Rd to Curries Rd, to Pabral Rd, to Coree Peak Rd)
Lunch at McIntyre's Hut (Coree Peak Rd onto Two Sticks Rd, onto Powerlines Trail, onto Webbs Ridge Trail, onto Waterfall Trail, onto McIntyre's hut trail)
a swim at Lowell's Flat (off Waterfall/McIntyre's hut trail)
Afternoon Tea at Flea Creek (Waterfall trail onto Webb's Ridge Rd)
and home (via Gentle Annie Trail onto Brindabella Rd).
Or something along those lines anyway.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, alternative destinations or timings ?

I guess I'd better say something along the lines of, if this goes ahead then you join at your own risk, I am not a qualified 4wd guide, and am simply offering to let others follow myself, (or any other person prepared to lead the trip) to these destinations, and I take no responsibility for anything that may happen to yourself, your passengers, or your vehicle if you choose to come along.
There! Has that scared you all out of coming now?

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » August 10th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Ezookiel wrote:Hmmm...

a swim at Lowell's Flat (off Waterfall/McIntyre's hut trail)

There! Has that scared you all out of coming now?
A swim this time of year - hmmmm might pass on that.

As an intro trip that would be a good run - nice and easy and comfortable. We can then pick a few brains for other trips.

I am familiar with that area but not anywhere else in the offroad sense.

Garry

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » August 10th, 2011, 10:06 pm

I'd kind of allowed that it might take some time to get everyone on board, so by the time we get this trip running, it might be swimming weather.
Last summer we had a BBQ at McIntyre's and had a swim after the lunch. It was incredibly refreshing, as it was a stinking hot day. But if we swim at McIntyre's, we run out of time to go visit Lowell's Flat, so thought make that the spot for a cooling after lunch dip.
I get one weekend a month off, so my next weekend off isn't till very late August, possibly early September, so we're already into Spring there, and the next after that would be heading towards October, so it's quite possible the weather may have warmed up a bit by the time it all comes together, but the swim isn't a necessity, just an idea if it's hot.

t-rex
Getting to know the place

Unread post by t-rex » September 1st, 2011, 2:40 pm

G'day Ezookiel,

you can count me in on any day trips, i live in Sydney but i'm currently working in the A.C.T. and normaly go home on weekends but would definately hang back for a weekend to do some 4 wheeling around here

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » September 1st, 2011, 8:27 pm

Cool. I actually have even more incentive to take a trip now, as I picked up my new camera today.
It may not be too far off with the nice weather we've been having lately too.

Dave40xx
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dave40xx » September 17th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Count me in for this.... Im actually just thinking of maybe some camping too..

Return to “Australian Capital Territory”