High Range 4WD Club of SA Inc

Barra-2
Been here a while

Robe - Long Beach & Little Dip Cons Park

Unread post by Barra-2 » September 19th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Well, we have been at it again. Out and about in our great places around SA.

This time is Robe in the South East with a trip along Long Beach and then into Little Dip Cons Park.
The Mrs and I camped on the Coorong at Parnka Point.,the narrowest and deepest point of the Coorong. The Point has been developed to cater for campers and is a paradise for kayakers. It is also internationally renowned among the bird-watching community having recorded 200-plus species of birds.

We are able to just flip the lid of our Roof Top Tent, now living on the trailer peg it down and get into bed as we arrived in the dark on Friday night.
Lots of birds around in the morning.

After a quick breakfast from the Chuck wagon, we were on our way to Robe.

Said goodbye to one of the locals and managed to find a couple of Geocache's on the way.

Found something else we didn't want, a puncture. Well I finally get to use that kit we've had in the back for 3 years, and fix a puncture. I guess this was a good puncture to have. Back on the road quickly to meet up with the rest of the group.

Barra-2
Been here a while

Re: High Range 4WD Club of SA Inc

Unread post by Barra-2 » September 19th, 2011, 4:31 pm

Well had 7 Vehicles for this trip with 19 of us.
There was a Kluger, Suzuki, SanteFe, Discovery, Patrol, Terracan and our Cruiser

Saturday afternoon was an easy drive on Long Beach with it being overcast.

We had dinner at one of the local cafes, with a great meal.

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » September 19th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Sunday had us all packed up and out of the CP buy 10 AM and lined up near the dump to let our tyres down. Mine have to go from 50 to 18 PSI, takes a while.

My Canon Camera copped an eye (lense) full of sand yesterday so some of the pics look a bit diffrent, but still good.

First recovery of the day was from Brenton on his maiden voyage with the Disco, he didn't make it up a hill and was worried about tipping over coming back down.
Safely down the bottom.

Today was magnificent weather and the beach was a great place for lunch in the shade.
Coastline was amazing and the water was so blue.

Call for help has gone out again. 2 cars belly up on the beach.
The Disco was first and the SanteFe was behind it.

Into action went all us to use the shovels, shade cloth and pieces of wood, but the Disco would move about 4 metres and sink again. It had a long way to go, and 5 more cars needed to get across this section too.

A new plan was devised, the Patrol made it across huggin the top of the beach to snatch him out. But the sand was too soft to get close enough.
Next plan join our Snatch Straps together. I went back to get mine and the Cruiser and made it across the beach towing my trailer :thumb:
These shots are from the video I took as I went past.

This is where we were.
Last edited by Barra-2 on September 19th, 2011, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barra-2
Been here a while

Robe - Long Beach & Little Dip Cons Park

Unread post by Barra-2 » September 19th, 2011, 5:21 pm

When I had gotten across and back to the Disco the snatch straps were joined together with shackles, which is a huge danger, if something breaks lookout :eek:

I said we need to use something inside the joins to stop them binding, then I remembered reading 4WD Action 169 in the last couple of days, we could use magazines. We had to join 8 straps and I had 6 4WD Action mags in the car. :thumb:
See how far distance between the Disco and the Patrol.

Success at last :D
Now one to go, or is that three to go? :)

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » September 19th, 2011, 5:59 pm

We thought we'd leave the SantaFe until last and get the other cars across.
The Kluger and the Terracan hugged the top of the beach and made it across with a few cheers. Debbie in her Suzuki was doing a great until the sand grabbed her close to the end.

So now Scott the 4WDer of the day was backing up to get the SanteFe out and got bogged too. So I un-hitched the trailer joined some straps and got him out. But we won't say too much about that will we. :D

So I backed up as far as I felt I could safely, joined 9 Straps together, we needed another mag, and used a Womans Day, and got the last car out.

Someone said we did 6 K's in 6 Hours :D
We all worked together, learnt new techniques, and came out of it with good spirits.

We didn't get to see as much as we wanted, but this made for a great afternoons entertainment.
The mags came through it ok too.

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » September 19th, 2011, 6:13 pm

A video from my Gopro mounted on the roof of my cruiser. Driving past the bogged cars on the beach.
http://youtu.be/oSzCKInWBn0

Barra-2
Been here a while

Trips we have planned for the rest of the year and into 2012

Unread post by Barra-2 » October 5th, 2011, 8:36 am

Trips we have planned for the rest of the year and into 2012

Oct - Port Lincoln (5 working days - 2 weekends)
Nov - Barossa or McLaren Valey Wine Trip
Dec - Xmas Picnic
Jan - Rally Run
Feb - Coorong
Mar - 4WD Clubs AGM Strathalbyn
Apr - Wonoka Station

Remember our club is an All-wheel drive club established for all AWD, SUV & 4WD vehicles to encourage friendship, safe off-roading, participation and environmental awareness.
So if you have one of these and would like to travel or learn the capabilties of your car, have a look at our club.

Nissan X-Trail, Subaru Forester, Outback, Holden Captiva, Mitsubishi Outlander, Toyota RAV4 and Kluger, Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sportage, Ford Territory, Land Rover Freelander, BMW X5 & X3, Jeep Compass

Members Cars
X-Trail, Tucson, Tribute, Jimny, Territory, Landcruiser, Suzuki Vitara, Santa Fe
RAV-4, Pajero, Patrol, Navara, Pajero, Subaru Forrester, Mazda Tribute
Hyundai Terracan, Great Wall X240, Ford Courier, Susuki Sierra, Ford Ranger
Jackaroo

Cheers from Barra
President of the High Range 4WD Club of SA Inc

mgladwin
Here and there

Unread post by mgladwin » October 5th, 2011, 10:28 am

Hey Barra-2,
Can you give a little more info on the 4WD Clubs AGM in Strathalbyn?

I am from Strathalbyn and would be keen to know a little more about your club etc.

Would it be in my best interest to attend this meeting?

Cheers

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » October 5th, 2011, 10:48 am

Hi Mgladwin

This event in March 2012 is for the http://www.4wdsa.asn.au/default.htm AGM for all the clubs in SA. The planning is still underway for Friday 23 - Sunday 25th. Registration Details will be out soon.

There will be Commercial Outlets, Tag Along Tours and Bonnet & Boots Vehicle Comp for individuals and clubs. Prizes and Raffles as well.

So put that into your diary, but you are welcome to come on a trip or two, to check out our club.

Cheers from Barra

Return to “South Australia”