High Range 4WD Club of SA Inc

Barra-2
Been here a while

High Range 4WD Club of SA Inc

Unread post by Barra-2 » April 12th, 2010, 3:24 pm

I thought I might mention my club here that I have been a founding member of when it started in 2006, back when I had 2001 RAV4 Cruiser.
Homepage of the High Range 4 Wheel Drive Club of South Australia
This club was setup by some people that couldn't find the right club that accepted vehicles without low range gearing could enjoy off road locations as much as cars with low range.
Overtime we have visited most of the iconic locations around SA, and have shocked other drivers where we have been. As one member states we may not use the same track but we arrive at the same location.
The objectives of the club are to establish safe four wheel driving techniques for members, encourage participation, create environmental awareness and protection.
Enjoy the experience, teamed with making new friends, overcoming challenges and discovering the capabilities of your vehicle. Take the opportunity of exploring this great land of ours, with us.
I have now moved up to a 2006 100 Series Cruiser, but still enjoy the company of our members and a big vehicle comes in handy sometimes. We do have a very good mix of vehicles, and show and help members to use their cars off road with the proper equipment and safety procedures.

Examples of club members cars
Hyundai Tucson
Mazda Tribute
Nissan X-Trail
Toyota Landcruiser
Suzuki Jimny
Ford Escape
Ford Territory
Nissan Patrol
Toyota RAV-4
Hyundai Santa Fe
Mitsubishi Pajero

Upcoming trips -

April 17 - 18 Robe & Little Dip
May 23 Driver Orienteering & Navigation Tour Adelaide Hills
May 29 - 30 Border Track – Pinnaroo to Bordertown
June 14 Bendelby Ranges long weekend
July 24 - 25 Christmas in July - Towitta Park
August TBA Bushy's Coonalpyn - recovery training
Our Trips Page of the High Range 4 Wheel Drive Club of South Australia

New people are welcome to tag along on a couple of trips and attend meetings before joining the club.
Meetings - 1st Wednesday of each month 7:30pm Unit 2/9 Cardiff Court Cavan. PO Box 2488, Salisbury Downs, South Australia, 5108

I’ll post some photos of our travels here from past and future trips
Cheers from Geoff (Barra) Mundi
100 Series F&B Air Lockers, Chuck Wagon, Steel Bar & Rear Bar, Dual Spares, Cooper STT's, XGS Gold Shocks, Poly Air Bags, LR Tank & Lots more.
[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=7577&im=1&s=on[/url] :thumb: Our Shed
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » April 13th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Fun at Morgan
100 Series F&B Air Lockers, Chuck Wagon, Steel Bar & Rear Bar, Dual Spares, Cooper STT's, XGS Gold Shocks, Poly Air Bags, LR Tank & Lots more.
[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=7577&im=1&s=on[/url] :thumb: Our Shed
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

75krusar

Unread post by 75krusar » April 13th, 2010, 2:47 pm

typical, we were only up there the other week and there wasn't a scerick of water anywere beyond the river, looks like you guys had fun
[url]http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-vu-wh-v2/136051-nvmyvt-vt-ss-series-2-bermuda-blue.html[/url] my series 2 vt ss

Barra-2
Been here a while

Robe - Long Beach & Little Dip Conservation Park

Unread post by Barra-2 » April 19th, 2010, 7:15 pm

We had a good time at Robe on the weekend, we had an X-Trail, Mazda Tribute, Pajero and my Cruiser

Saturday spent the arvo on Long Beach from Robe to as far south as we could go, then back to town for a meal at the Robe pub.
I let the owner of the Tribute have a a drive of my cruiser and he had it bogged within 2 minutes, I think he was too afraid to put the boot into to get it a round a bend in soft sand. I used the lockers to dig it out as the wheels were just spinning where he had got it stuck, and and let him drive back to Robe. He maybe looking to upgrade now.

Then on Sunday a quick visit to Nora Corina then into Little Dip Consevation park to follow the well posted tack back to Robe.

Both the X-trail and Tribute did the trip easy, the Tribute has been lifted.

One of these beaches was described as extremely difficult due to soft sand and a chicken track was available, it turned out to be the easiest.

Dropped the pressure down to 16 psi on the Coopers to get a good foot print.

I've driven a lot of beach tracks around the place, but this would have to be one of the nicest ones we have done. With being so close to the water a then back up into the hills and dunes with many places for photos of the changing coast or to stop and have lunch and enjoy the coast.

Make sure you get the info sheet from the Information centre, and stay on UHF 10, and you will have a great time.

Next time we will have to do the Beachport section, but as this was just an overnighter we didn't have time.

Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » June 15th, 2010, 11:03 am

Border Track Photos

Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Barra-2
Been here a while

Bendleby Ranges June 2010

Unread post by Barra-2 » June 15th, 2010, 11:47 am

Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Aussie Outlaw
Avid Poster

Unread post by Aussie Outlaw » June 15th, 2010, 12:02 pm

seems like you guys n gals have alot of fun
That bloke with the not so clean FJ40's HJ45 & 2014 sr5 lux

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » June 16th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Aussie Outlaw wrote:seems like you guys n gals have alot of fun

We sure do, probably cant show the real fun photos here:D.
As you can see, any type of vehicle is welcome in our club, big or small.

Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Hitman78
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Hitman78 » July 12th, 2010, 11:05 pm

HI Barra

This club looks perfect for me and the misses. Do you do alot overnight trips? And is there alot of partners that go?

Only reason I ask is I am from the territory lived there for 26 years and love my camping and 4wd. I moved here 18 months ago and am just about to pick up my new 4x4 ( Great Wall v240 ).

I will drop your club an email when I get the car and do some much needed mods on it and hopefully we could tag along with what looks like the club for us.

Cheers

Mike.

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » July 17th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Hi Mark

Yes we do a lot of Overnight trips and day trips, the next one is the July 24 - 25 Christmas in July - Towitta Park.
Have a look at the Trip report page and you'll get a feel of how the club operates.http://www.hr4wdclubsa.org.au/trips.htm
You wont need to have all the Mods before joining a trip, just come along a couple trips or a meeting, there is no pressure for people to join the club.

Cheers
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Barra-2
Been here a while

Bushys at Coonalpyn SA

Unread post by Barra-2 » August 27th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Last weekend the Club had a weekend at Bushys, we had 12 cars and six camped over night at a cost of $25 for the overnight stay.

We arrived close to lunch and setup camp then headed out for an afternoon of fun.

The first hill proved a bit soft for one of the cars.

Going Down

Going Up

Club President in his X-Trail

Campfire just getting started, we brought some of our own and Bushy provided a heap of stumps to keep it going well into the night,

Using the tracking from our GPS we did all the same track on Sunday morning before heading home.

Another great weekend.

Cheers from Barra
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

sudso
Need to get out more

Unread post by sudso » August 30th, 2010, 12:15 am

Good shots Barra :) Bushys place is bloody good value IMO and 2-3 of those dunes are near impossible after bouts of warm dry weather unless you air down to 8psi. Did you do the 'play' track at the back corner of his property?
Oh was up the Bordertrack this arvo, the ruts and holes are pretty much full to their brims!

Cheers, Dave
I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » September 1st, 2010, 2:01 pm

Yes Dave, I think it's pretty good, I got over all the hills last weekend, and that was the main reason for going this time. 4th time I've been there.
The man made play track is good fun, and I was the only one to make the big hill there:waycool:.

As for the Bordertrack, we are still talking about the fun the SUV's had, and my Cruiser is in the panel shop, getting the rear bumper painted where that whole scraped all the paint of the side.:cry:

Cheers
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

offroadjack
Part of the furniture

Unread post by offroadjack » September 1st, 2010, 2:35 pm

sure looks like you clubmembers go to some very nice places and have the spirit of the real 4WDing..
salisbury is to far away for me to go to meetings but would otherwise come up and even for a few of your trips.
bendleby is a top spot for a real good time!, the best campsites and some very...VERY! good tracks!
planned to go to robe again this summer as it is great for some really good beach drivin..
[b]should change my name in "ROLLOVAJACK"[/b]

Barra-2
Been here a while

Unread post by Barra-2 » September 1st, 2010, 2:53 pm

offroadjack wrote:sure looks like you clubmembers go to some very nice places and have the spirit of the real 4WDing..
salisbury is to far away for me to go to meetings but would otherwise come up and even for a few of your trips..

As one of our members says, we may get there a different way, but we get there.
As for meetings, I maybe wrong but I don't think it is a requirement to come to meetings to be a member. Usually new people come on a few trips and join up then, but most we never see at a meeting. The club is not able to offer any of the DTU training, so all of our outings are just fun.
I?m planning a trip for the October long weekend at Caroona Creek at Burra, just waiting on approval from the club. I post some info here when it up and running.
Cheers
Also in 4WD Custom Gui

Return to “South Australia”