RVFR - Rotary 4WD Club

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

RVFR - Rotary 4WD Club

Unread post by chris_stoffa » September 28th, 2009, 11:03 am

Hi all

This is an introductory post for a 4WD club :truck:that has developed in Victoria.

It is the Recreational Vehicle Fellowship of Rotarians ( under the banner of Rotary International )

It has been formed to provide a place for like minded people to get together to enjoy their vehicles and have some fun. And you don't have to be a member of Rotary to join us - you can become an Associate member and be just as involved.

More details to follow such as how to contact us, what we do, where we go , what we have planned , what is costs and all that other good info .

Stay tuned to this thread for the above info and also a Trip Report of the Little Desert run ( Dimboola - Frances) conducted on the 25-27 September.

Cheers :)

Chris

grumps
I'm new, be nice!

RVFR President

Unread post by grumps » September 29th, 2009, 7:34 pm

Well done Stoffa.

It's a good start to our RVFR 4WD Club forum.

Grumps

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

RVFR Trip report - Little Desert 25-27 Sept 09

Unread post by chris_stoffa » November 11th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Hi all

Little late i know but due to time and work commitment constraints I've finally got around to this - sorry to all.

The trip stated off after all meeting at the Dimboola hotel on the Friday night and began in earnest next morning from the Little Desert Gateway. After a convoy briefing sharing of radios and general chit chat it was off in to the sandy beyonds towards Francis SA.
Not five minutes into the trip, due to the recent rains, which incidentally had put flowing water into the Wimmera river for the first time in years we came across a Motorhome vehicle recovery with what had to be the most suspect and ratty snatch strap ever seen. After clearing that it was into the desert proper and some great sand and track driving to lunch at the Kiata Campsite within the park. So far the driving had been a mix of sand and some quite large bog holes which all seemed to handle with a minimum of fuss. Photo opportunities for those with a penchant for wildlife and flora abounded with one in particular likely to be the last to return to the vehicle.
One of the interesting sensations for drivers was the "hands-free" steering as many of the vehicles would tram track in the sandy wheel ruts for hundreds of meters
After lunch we made our way across towards Francis and in the process crossed paths with another group from the North West 4WD club.
Rain threatened at times until at one point it didnt just rain, it hailed !!!
This only added to the potholes and bog holes so on we trekked until arriving at Francis at about 5.30 for a well earned drink.
And a few drinks were had by all that night - great night, people, locals and of course it helped that it was AFL Grand final night.

Next morning despite the late night before all reassembled, checked vehicles and once more sallied forth into the Desert on the return to Dimboola via Mt Moffat.

On the way we managed to find a bog hole that after careful consideration and a lot of walking and discussion it was decided that as we had a mixed group of experienced drivers the chicken run was chosen and all managed to pick a better path around what could have been a multiple recovery exercise.

At Mt Moffat our Trip leader introduced us to the idea of Geo-Caching" with a find the ammo case hunt.

On we continued though some really interesting and varied terrain and flora, with the occasional smaller bog hole on the east west run of the McDonald highway - who said this place was a desert must have just seen the sand.

After working our way back and across the desert we all aired up at the Horseshoe bend park, watched the Wimmera river actually flow by and parted ways to return home.

Special Thanks to Ian and Annie our team leaders for their assistance and experience , it was much appreciated

Vehicles
Ian and Penny in the 'Cruiser - our tour leaders
Lewis and Sue in the 'Troll
Jack in the Disco
Tony and Annie in the Troupy
Nick and Jenny in the family Prado - Oscar and Sam their kids, besides sharing navigator duties in the Disco also provided entertainment with sword fights - Also how kids can sleep in a rocking rolling 4Wd still amazes me
Chris & Kerrin in the Bravo - "Get back in the car Kerrin !!! "
And tail end Charlie - Annie in her Cruiser.

Attached are links to some pics of the trip

( Sorry having problems linking to Photobucket )
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

RVFR - Trip Idea - A quiz

Unread post by chris_stoffa » December 17th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Hi all,

Now that you have found the thread , there is a quiz

A bottle of the Local Red Wine for the Club Member to correctly guess the town location & region- Must be shared though if the trip idea goes ahead :D

I am within 3hrs easy drive of Melbourne.
I once was a place with a very golden history
I am also in an area known for a pretty good drop of Red Wine (and the occasional White also)
I have distinctly French air around me.
Matter of fact there are a number of locations around here that have a very French Connection
I'm now a one pub town
I am surrounded by some very good Easy to Medium 4WD tracks ( Although when it rains that can change rapidly)
My name begins with M
And I am in what region

For those that are interested here is the link to the 2 Stroke / Diesel Thread

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/show ... hp?t=76845

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Zukixl7
Here and there

Unread post by Zukixl7 » December 18th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Hey Chris,

More details to follow such as how to contact us, what we do, where we go , what we have planned , what is costs and all that other good info .
Have you got this info on the RVFR 4WD Club. I should have posted this earlier but kept getting sidetracked leading up to Xmas. I would really be interested this club and what ever you can provide re the meetings, trips joining details.

Cheers,

Ian

MOARY 1
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by MOARY 1 » January 7th, 2010, 9:17 pm

You just might be near the Pyrenees for the tracks and Redbank for the wine and better have a feed at the Moonambel Pub. :drink:

4x4playNT
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4x4playNT » January 7th, 2010, 9:22 pm

chris_stoffa wrote:Hi all

This is an introductory post for a 4WD club :truck:that has developed in Victoria.

It is the Recreational Vehicle Fellowship of Rotarians ( under the banner of Rotary International )

It has been formed to provide a place for like minded people to get together to enjoy their vehicles and have some fun. And you don't have to be a member of Rotary to join us - you can become an Associate member and be just as involved.

Stay tuned to this thread for the above info and also a Trip Report of the Little Desert run ( Dimboola - Frances) conducted on the 25-27 September.

Cheers :)

Chris
Sounds good mate.
I put this site together for the rotary people up this way ;)
Welcome to Darwin Sunrise

Bit of 'pro-bono' work for a good cause!
MAZTRUCK- 31" Muddies, 2" Suspension lift, 2" Body Lift, Custom Front Bar, UHF, 2" Shackles, Balljoint Spacers, 1" Diff Drop, Dual Batt, Front Lokka, Sliders, Custom Tray, etc

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 7th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Ian,

have flicked your details over to our recruitment type person, shall follow up for you we she is back from a trip in a couple of days.

4X4playNT,
Nice site, Im just the one in the club that does the forum stuff ( not always perfectly either :) )

Moary 1

You just might be right, now you have to join us on a trip to claim the bottle of red.
Thats if the trip gets into the Trip Calendar
The quiz is there for a few of the members who aren't really Web savvy, so that if they found it they would have something to feedback on.
Pray tell, how well do you know the area ?

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

MOARY 1
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by MOARY 1 » January 8th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I am a member of the Wimmera 4X4 club based in Horsham we have a day planed for that region later in the year. We have members that do play on those tracks and have camped at the pub.:truck:

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 12th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Moary,

Was that your club we crossed paths with in the middle of the Little Desert a few months ago, we had the two groups side by side on the track at one point ?

Nice area the Pyrenees.

Cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

MOARY 1
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by MOARY 1 » January 13th, 2010, 9:04 pm

It may have been as we go out the dessert at the drop of a hat and also cover the big dessert as well we use UHF ch 10 and I also moniter that if im in the shed check out the club web site www.wimera4wdclub.org.au if you are up this way we should catch up and see what we can put together Moary

Zukixl7
Here and there

Unread post by Zukixl7 » January 21st, 2010, 8:15 am

Chris,

I got a message from the recruitment person but my phone has self destructed and the saved messages have been lost. Can you please get them to ring me on the mobile number I gave you again? It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more

Unread post by chris_stoffa » January 21st, 2010, 9:26 am

Ian

PM sent to you

chris
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Return to “Victoria”