Vic Action forums' "HARD CORE CREW"

Tarzan
Avid Poster

Vic Action forums' "HARD CORE CREW"

Unread post by Tarzan » September 20th, 2009, 5:51 pm

G'day,
have you been on 4wding trips & noticed that for certain kinds of trips that are advertised usually attracts the same blokes.
Well thats been my experience & the blokes I'm about to introduce to you have all, with the one or two exceptions built their cars up from something basic to something that will handle some pretty tough stuff.

These blokes tend to look for words in trip advertising such as "winches will be required", "expect panel damage", "lockers & lift a must" or "extreme tyres will be necesary", & the very nature of the trip demands that we rely on each other for spoting, snatching, digging, & track side repairs.
This relying on one another has had a good effect in that it brings like minded people together & you end up as good mates.

Enough writing stuff down & I'll start by posting some pics & some comments.

HARD CORE CREW
This is Chrismavs' Ford.
It's typical of Chris to have his head out the window, & thats not because of stale air in the cabin, but because he's reknown for picking the right line up the gnarlyest of tracks.
At Narbathong, where we were on Phone track, 3/4 the way up there is a large rock step. When it was my go I was a bit worried of an end to end roll over but Chris just picked his way up on worn mudies.
Something amusing: Chris has been known to do scouting trips without always driving the tracks he has instore for us. Ergo un named track at Wesburn where 5 other drivers had to winch, claw, scrape, smash panels & tail lights, & chain saw fallen logs. just to get through. Did Chris damage the Mav....No
P.S. You can read about the trip to Wesburn in the "trip reports" section of the forum, under the heading "Wesburn winch trip"

Here's REDNECKRACING. pedal to the metal & "lockers on" up Ellis Tk. in Wesburn. We call this GQ the space shuttle because of all the technology Shaun put into it. Things like a 5 link suspension that twists up near 180 degrees with the rear axle, computer sat nav mapping & even an air compressor hooked up to the distributor so he can blow any water out that might seep through during a creek crossing. This is one mean machine!
Something amusing: After being snatched back out of a bog hole at Toolangi, opens the doors to let the water out & says "I forgot to engage the lockers". After getting stuck coming up Ellis Tk. Wesburn he says "the dog switched off the lockers"
Go mechanical lockers I say hahaha
The BEAST3805
Probably the most photogenic of the lot. 9 inches of lift, front locker & a tightened rear "No slip diff" & Craig's not afraid to burry the right foot up untill valve bounce rpm this thing rides on mud, not in it.
Something amusing: After a water crossing at Neerim, Craig stops pops the bonnet & says "Gee I need a ladder to look in this engine bay"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I [b]'INTENSELY DISLIKE TRACK CLOSURES' :mad: [/b]

Tarzan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tarzan » September 20th, 2009, 6:00 pm

This is Bads'troll, charging up Ellis TK. Wesburn. Brad & his wife Sarah are keen 4wders.
This locked, lifted, Rock Hopper geared, Simexed & beadlocked GU Patrol is near unstopable! At Wesburn Chrismav put up a slab to anyone that didn't need to winch on this trip, Brad was a definate contender for it.
Something amusing: Chris had Brad come along to Wesburn because he's got a chainsaw. Have alook at the beanie on Brad in the photo bellow.

Something amusing: That's Brad & his beanie on the left. Well I supose none of us could be fashion models, thats why we four wheel drive!

Here's dr3805, "Doc"
Some might recognise this Pajero from a past issue of 4wd Customs magazine. Talk about your family affair, There's Duane (that's dr3805 thus "Doctor 4wd" thus "Doc") his dad Steve, wife & now co-pilot Suze, 4 or 5 kids (its hard to tell when they're all running around) & the dog. A testament to the fact that a family that 4wheel drives together gets stuck together :D
Something amusing: Whilst having a "Tuff trucks" day at Bunyip I realised that Suze was nursing a new born, maybe 3 weeks old. Whilst about to atempt a particularly hairy climb I said to Doc will the baby be O.K? Doc casually says "yeh the rocking puts the bub to sleep"

That's co-pilot Suze at the helm trying to get up Sweetwater Tk. Neerim Sth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tarzan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tarzan » September 20th, 2009, 6:03 pm

This is Shaggs,
Check it out, comp winch, custom tray, beadlocks, rear springs up front, simexed, turbo diesel, & the list of mods goes on & on.
I don't think I've ever seen him stuck until the "Wesburn winch trip". This is Shaggs launching out of a boghole at Narbethong."Mind you on that day there was another bloke that got stuck trying to get into that same bog hole so we snatched him in then back out again.
Something amusing: Shaggs tells me that to unwind he wheels on down to Wesburn on his own. :eek:

This is Pajboy,
Forget the IFS jokes on a hard core track truck, this Paj has had a solid front axle swap from a Jeep, 4 inch Nissan Patrol coils which give the Paj more like 5 or 6 inches lift, & a set of 35 inch Baja Claws.
At Phone Track, Tallarook Ryan just rode over the top of those boulders & made it to the top, no worries.
Ryan is originally from N.S.W, so fearing 4wd withdrawl he loged on to the forum & got himself on the first available trip, which was Tallarook
Something amusing: As you may be aware , folk from N.S.W call us here in Vic. , Mexicans so when you read the location under Pajboys avatar It reads MEXICO. All I can say to that is welcome seeniore.

-PAJ-
Avid Poster

Unread post by -PAJ- » September 20th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Great bunch of guys, NOTE: The mighty Paj is fixed and I'll be ready for the next trip. If I'm allowed to come....:D
[b]"A piece from here, A piece from there and I can go ANYWHERE" :D[/b]
SASed 93 NH pajero Check it out ----> http://4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=76902

dr3805
Been here a while

Unread post by dr3805 » September 20th, 2009, 9:09 pm

PajBoy wrote:Great bunch of guys, NOTE: The mighty Paj is fixed and I'll be ready for the next trip. If I'm allowed to come....:D
welcome back Ryan, glad to here ya all ready to go again can't wait to see you back in action and i'm sure the invites go out to you and see you on the tracks again soon :thumb:
[size=84]89 NF/3" lifted coils rear/wound up bars front/2" body lift/33" silverstone x-tremes/winch/duel batt[/size]/power invertor/and more
[url=http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?id=3088]http://www.4wdaction.com.au[/url]
[url=http://www.4wdact

Tarzan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tarzan » September 22nd, 2009, 6:25 pm

I didn't put in REDNECKs write up that after Wesburn, Shaun said its a "once a year trip" hahahha The following weekend him & the "BEAST" went back. Well the Spaceshuttle blew a headgasket. Oh well at least its given Shaun the opportunity to Supercharge it!, & Craig laid the Beast on its side to be rolled back & recovered by a Suzuki. Fortunately no real damage.

REDNECKRACING
Been here a while

Unread post by REDNECKRACING » September 22nd, 2009, 8:02 pm

Good stuff Tarzan:thumb:. Well the head is off and its stuffed. Every valve is nackered, 3 or 4 cracks and some major warpage. Got a hold of another head from my freindly neibourhood wrecker, sent it off today for some tweeking and testing :waycool:. Made up a jig lastnight to line up the supercharger and fabbed up a new pulley for some instant boost:waycool:.
Got to pull the radiator out now, find out about fitting a 3 core to it.
Now hangin to get it up and running. Left Craig (beast3805)at work tonite, hes pulling his truck to bits, but Ill let him tell you what hes doing lol:D.

CHRISMAV
Part of the furniture

Unread post by CHRISMAV » September 22nd, 2009, 9:42 pm

Cool we've got our own thread to have a yarn and giggle, nice work Sam :waycool:

You forgot to put pics up or your car Sam.

This is Tarzan,
One owner 1990 lux, twin Lokka's, 33" mungrol's and a Tmax winch. About all you need to do some fun tracks and show up the Patrols :D

And Hulsty,
Middy with the lot.
Twin lockers, bead locks, custom suspension by hulsty (think theres some 60 series bits in there?). And that sweet, sweet mid wheel base.
Would have to be one of the most capable cars that come out on our trips. And Hulsty likes to give it a hard time lol.

92 Maverick - Gone but not forgotten.... [url]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=50425[/

CHRISMAV
Part of the furniture

Unread post by CHRISMAV » September 22nd, 2009, 9:59 pm

Tarzan wrote:
Something amusing: Chris has been known to do scouting trips without always driving the tracks he has instore for us. Ergo un named track at Wesburn where 5 other drivers had to winch, claw, scrape, smash panels & tail lights, & chain saw fallen logs. just to get through. Did Chris damage the Mav....No
P.S. You can read about the trip to Wesburn in the "trip reports" section of the forum, under the heading "Wesburn winch trip"

Ha ha, That turned out to be a good trip. But did drive the other tracks the week before on a scouting mission, but wanted to keep that one for when I had you guy's there to rescue me if something went wrong :p
I may have needed Rednecks welder or Brads chainsaw lol.
92 Maverick - Gone but not forgotten.... [url]http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=50425[/

duck
Avid Poster

Unread post by duck » September 23rd, 2009, 4:07 pm

CHRISMAV wrote:

And Hulsty,
Middy with the lot.
Twin lockers, bead locks, custom suspension by hulsty (think theres some 60 series bits in there?). And that sweet, sweet mid wheel base.
Would have to be one of the most capable cars that come out on our trips. And Hulsty likes to give it a hard time lol.

dont forget his awesome navie from that day in warby
team flat bed racing

Tarzan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tarzan » September 23rd, 2009, 6:10 pm

G'day Duck,
You're absolutly correct, we can't forget the navie.

Duck navied for every one that day, he even brought along his navies outfit. Between Ducks outfit & Brads beanie we should have had a fashion s on the field contest.

Anyhow here's a pic of Disco duck.

CHRISMAV
Part of the furniture

Unread post by CHRISMAV » September 23rd, 2009, 6:21 pm

Duck in his navy gear :D.

Tarzan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tarzan » September 23rd, 2009, 6:27 pm

REDNECKRACING wrote:Good stuff Tarzan:thumb:. Well the head is off and its stuffed. Every valve is nackered, 3 or 4 cracks and some major warpage. Got a hold of another head from my freindly neibourhood wrecker, sent it off today for some tweeking and testing :waycool:. Made up a jig lastnight to line up the supercharger and fabbed up a new pulley for some instant boost:waycool:.
Got to pull the radiator out now, find out about fitting a 3 core to it.
Now hangin to get it up and running. Left Craig (beast3805)at work tonite, hes pulling his truck to bits, but Ill let him tell you what hes doing lol:D.

Hey guys,
been umin & arrin about weather or not to fabricate a custom tray or just bend up some pipe for extra protection for the tub.. If I make the tray it might be a while & it may cost me in terms of when I get those ultra high transfer ratios.

Hey Redneck,
just can't wait to see a supercharged GQ amongst us out on tracks. Keep us posted on the progress.
p.s. what d'ya reckon of that pic my young fella took of you charging up Ellis Tk. with ya face snarling out the window? I think it'd make a good "REDNECKRACING" poster

Hey Beast,
what are ya planing for the beast?

beast3805
Been here a while

Unread post by beast3805 » September 23rd, 2009, 9:24 pm

G'day there Sam, good to see youve got a gang happening of us harcore 4 wheel drivers, will be good to keep in contact now.

Ive been back at work a bit putting un-modified diff housings back in and now lowering the beast and running 3 inch lifted coils (From Marcus's old patrol). Im going for a different look of running a lower vehicle but with big tyres still, will be interesting when i get 37's happening. Im willing to chop 20-30mm out of the wheel arch's to fit 37's :D il keep you posted:D
Rb30T GQ, Straight Impco LPG blowthrough, 35 Wrangler MTR Kevlar, locked and lifted:crazy:

[url]http://www.4wdaction.com.au/shed/index.php?content=all&chunk=arbu&user=10414[/url]

Tarzan
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tarzan » September 24th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Hey guys, me & young bloke just come back from a scouting trip to Bunyip State park. Stopped off at the Parks Victoria office in Gembrook, had a good chat with one of the Rangers there.
The good news is that the Park is springing back to life, plenty of green comming in amongst the black charred remains. saw a mob of Kangaroos, a Kookaburra & 3 Lyrebirds.
Bunyip ridge track is shut at the bridge, but when I jumped out to have a look I heard frogs crickets. The power of the bush to recover is amazing.
The not so good news is we'll have to wait till early November for the tracks to be opened. Still could be worse, they could of shut the Park down altogether.
P.S. have you seen the vid Shaggs posted of the Beast rolling down on to its side?
Its on the trip reports section of the forum under "Wesburn winch trip".
You can hear Shaggs saying "Oh sh#t" when the Beast rolls.

Craig,
I think the Beast will have a distinctive look about it. If my math is correct your diff pumpkins will be 1 inch higher but how much lower will the belly of the Beast be?

Duck,
I think you've got a pretty tough looking 80 series, would you like to post a pic of your 4bee & write up what you've done to it.
At the moment the only pics we've got is of you is fashion modeling & disco dancing.

Shaun,
If it was heat stress owing to the higher burn temp of LPG that cracked all the valves in the head, wouldn't Super charging worsen the situation?

Return to “Victoria”