Which 4x4 club to join (Sydney)

Craig 04gu
Been here a while

Which 4x4 club to join (Sydney)

Unread post by Craig 04gu » September 16th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Im new to 4x4ing and looking to join a 4x4 club in the Sydney area but not sure which one.

Any suggestions/recomendations would be great.

Black Bull

Re: Which 4x4 club to join (Sydney)

Unread post by Black Bull » September 17th, 2010, 12:36 am

Crunch
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Crunch » September 17th, 2010, 9:16 am

And here's where everyone plugs their own club..........

There's so many to choose from, and all with varying pro's and con's. I think there's 3 main things you need to consider -

1) What kind of driving are you after? Family trips? Hardcore lift + lock stuff? Beginner level? Soft-roader/AWD?

2) What area are you in? no point joining Blue Mountains when you live in Coffs Harbour.

3) Make and model of your truck. There are many make specific clubs around, and many of them are open to all makes, but it's up to you if you want to join a make-specific club. the advantages there are dealer/parts discounts specific to your truck, and a solid knowledge base and second-hand parts availability from other members.

I spoke to as many clubs as I could at the latest 4x4 Adventure show, and was very impressed with many of them. Go along to meetings, get to meet some members, go out for a day trip with them. You don't have to join as soon as you ring them.

Take your time, shop around and you'll find one you slip right into. They won't just disappear overnight, so you don't have to jump in straight away.

Black Bull

Unread post by Black Bull » September 17th, 2010, 9:51 am

This is true mate. some are more family orientated and do more tourer type runs, others are more competition based.
That said though Last year when I was looking at clubs, I found that a few of them wanted you to have done a driver training course before letting you go on a run

Craig 04gu
Been here a while

Unread post by Craig 04gu » September 17th, 2010, 10:22 am

Crunch,

Thanks for your advice should have put more details on my post.

Ok, I dont want to do any extreme truck breaking driving (yet) just some good tuff challenging tracks and a bit of touring.

I have a reasonably well set up Patrol (3ltr GUIV) and live in the Parramatta area.

Have been looking at clubs on the net and they all seem pretty good that why i put this post up to see what advice I could get

Crunch
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Crunch » September 17th, 2010, 10:55 am

Yep, I got that from a lot too Black Bull. Not such a bad thing though, some insurance companies will give you a discount if it's a registered driver training course.

bussoboy
Here and there

Unread post by bussoboy » September 19th, 2010, 6:51 pm

me & the better 1/2 meet with quite a few at the eastern creek 4x4 show, most seemed like great clubs, a few came across as red necks, but i think that may be more the people than the club?

we are off to our first meeting tomorrow night with the club that seemed to offer us most of what we wanted (advise, driver training, pet friendly & fun)

Crunch
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Crunch » September 19th, 2010, 7:30 pm

bussoboy wrote:a few came across as red necks, but i think that may be more the people than the club?
The people ARE the club. If they pick those select few to represent at a show, I'd hate to think what the other are like! :crazy:

Craig 04gu
Been here a while

Unread post by Craig 04gu » September 19th, 2010, 10:42 pm

that's the reason i put this post up was to see how people viewed some clubs.
if you have had a bad experience (people doing stupid stuff ie burn outs in a paddock/camp ground) with clubs i would like to know. as i wish to join a club that has all the right morals.

bussoboy
Here and there

Unread post by bussoboy » September 23rd, 2010, 10:23 pm

went to a Sydney District 4x4 club meeting monday night - what a great group of people.

will be back for sure

Craig 04gu
Been here a while

Unread post by Craig 04gu » September 24th, 2010, 1:15 am

Yeah that's one on my short list. The hardest thing is getting along to a meeting as I'm a shift worker.

NissanMadness
Here and there

Unread post by NissanMadness » October 7th, 2010, 8:07 pm

My advice is to go along and check out a few different clubs and you'll soon get a feel for which one you like best which one you fit and which one fits you then join that one and have fun.

Wok-ss
Been here a while

Unread post by Wok-ss » March 31st, 2011, 8:32 pm

Hi Craig 04gu
Nissan GU Gr8 truck, as for are Club to become a member of, that will be up to you, I my self think that there is heaps of nice people here on this forum, that Gould make the best CLUBS in each State & in our Country, you do not need are Club, or to be a Club member have fun & meet nice people, here on this forum locals put up trips, that any one can go along with them, but if you need one look on the web like you have been doing the Nissan 4WD club of NSW & ACT, looks to be good one by their web site ,look to be a very Financial Club. The club own there own land and has their own big cooking shed and camping area, you can download member ship forms from there web sit,
I my self iam planning are trip down to Mittagong power line track next Sunday the 28/April if you like to come just let me know at this stage there is Warrick & Rick’s GU’s, Jamie’s highly engineered 95 Hilux, Steve’s Disco, Mick’s Delica, and maybe one tricked out 100 series Toyota coming down from Taree about Five rig at this stage, all others are welcome just let me know for meeting time & where, at this stage we will be meeting up at Old Hume Highway just south of Mittagong, then right on to Wombeyan Caves Rd some where around there 06:00 Sunday morning, I will post this it on the Forum in forum members meeting up notes
Re: Warrick :D

Chip Tuning
Been here a while

Unread post by Chip Tuning » October 29th, 2012, 3:29 pm

I joined Discovery 4X4 Club. http://www.discovery4wdclub.com/

It's open to all vehicle types.

They have vehicle with no mods to all mods. I joined because IMO they seemed the most family orientated ... and less inclined to come back with damage to the vehicle.

They conduct free driver training (basic to advanced) by some very qualified pilots.

I have been out twice with them and all are a friendly bunch. There was no drunken free for all (great since I have a little one) and everyone lends a hand (or gives you space if you want it)

The basic kit you need is a snatch strap, 2x rated shackles and rated recovery points. If you are not sure if your vehicle has rated recovery points, they can check it out for you.

The club secretary is Mark. He is contactable on 0438800879

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rob
REASONS TO BUY A CHIP IT DIESEL MODULE: 1) PLUG IN - DYI CHIP 2) CUSTOM TUNING OPTION 3) FUEL & TURBO SENSOR CONTROL 4) SAFE EGT CONTROL 5) IN-CABIN EGT DISPLAY 6) CRUISE CONTROL COMPATIBLE 7) 5 YRS WARRANTY 8) 10% FORUM DISCOUNT.

AJ XTRAIL
Getting to know the place

Unread post by AJ XTRAIL » March 10th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Hi Craig04GU . Im in the sydney district 4x4 club , Yes look around but the club does alot of training ranges from basic to advanced, camper trailer to how to use your gps, you can do the touring stuff or a family day trip. most of the people i have met are not too bad. have a look at the web site.

Return to “New South Wales”