Mission Wraps (MY WARNING )

gqjay
Part of the furniture

Mission Wraps (MY WARNING )

Unread post by gqjay » September 23rd, 2014, 5:51 pm

Don't know where else to put this but I make a wicked egg wrap using the mission wraps. Its been about a month or so since I last have been out. But what I thought, I cleaned the camp pantry right out but found a open packet of mission wraps.

The disturbing part of this is that there was no sign mould or the terrible stuff you see on month old breads.
They seem to be as fresh as I last bought them.
I find that very wrong and now need to find a new wrap brand for my wicked egg wrap.

The Missus
Avid Poster

Re: Mission Wraps (MY WARNING )

Unread post by The Missus » September 23rd, 2014, 7:15 pm

Don't panic!

Mission Wraps, like most other wraps, really don't have much in them apart from flour and water so there isn't really anything to go mouldy unless they are moist or sweat (which happens if they are kept in the fridge or in plastic bags). They would probably have been very dry and crisp? Pita breads, Mountain Bread anything like those will keep for months if they are kept dry.

You'll notice the Mission Wraps had a silica packet in them to absorb moisture, which is really their enemy.

You could let them dry right out and then just break them up into "chips" to use for dips - they're good like that too.
Adventure before dementia!

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » September 23rd, 2014, 8:06 pm

We've found these to be an excellent way to have lunch - they take up much less space and damage less easily than bread

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

The Missus
Avid Poster

Unread post by The Missus » September 25th, 2014, 4:05 pm

If you don't mind Mountain Bread (it comes in a whole heap of flavours/grains) you can buy direct from Mountain Bread and they'll deliver it to your door by courier free! And it's almost half the price of buying it in the supermarket.

I bought 20 packets (not all for us, they were shared through the group) for our Cape trip in June and it was great. Packs flat, travels well, doesn't go stale, doesn't need to be refrigerated, can be used for sandwiches/wraps/chips/enchiladas, fried for elephant ears etc.

It keeps for months so buying the minimum of 8 packets for the free deliver is easy, and of course buying direct it is really fresh so keeps even longer than buying from the supermarket.

www.mountainbread.com.au/
Adventure before dementia!

Return to “Camp Cooking”