How do you organise Convoy cooking for your trips?

boobook
Part of the furniture

How do you organise Convoy cooking for your trips?

Unread post by boobook » April 5th, 2014, 7:04 am

I'm organising a trip for about 4 vehicles over 4 weeks through the Simpson Desert and near areas.

I'm looking for advice about how to organise the cooking while on the move. If we stay somewhere for 2 nights or more we will do a big cook up but what is the best way to organise meals for overnight stays.

I was thinking that 2 groups of 2 cars ( 4 people per group) would organise amongst themselves what to cook and who cooks what but a couple want to have meals together every night.

I can see the advantage of cooking together every night - the duties would be shared and less washing up, but on the other hand it seems a lot more difficult to cook for 8 than for 4 especially with small stoves, pots etc, and then there are issues of deciding a shopping list, and the quality of cooking / food. ( some might be at the tinned baked beans end of the spectrum and others at the masterchef end if that makes sense.)

Any advice or experiences in what works best would be welcome

The Missus
Avid Poster

Re: How do you organise Convoy cooking for your trips?

Unread post by The Missus » April 5th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Personally not a fan of group cooking, for the reasons you've already pointed out and like/dislikes/dietary requirements/just plain being picky and of course different appetites - some of the folk we travel with eat more in one sitting than my entire family in a week, others eat less, catering is hard when you don't know the appetites and you don't want a whole lot of leftovers to store and use up.

If it has to be done try this plan:

1. Work out groups.
2. One group per night. That group is responsible for the shopping and cooking for their meal.
3. Set a budget for the meals - baked beans on toast is a lot cheaper than a pork roast. You might also like to set a "dinnertime" so you're not waiting until mid-night to be fed. If you're planning on setting up camp early, around 4pm, then a roast is fine, if you plan on longer days skip the roasts, everyone will be too tired to wait and after a few days you'll probably want to be in bed early anyway.
4. Whoever cooks cleans up the cooking mess, everyone else is responsible for their own dishes, cutlery, glasses etc.

Would it appease the "group cook-up" fans if you perhaps had a couple of desserts that were for the entire group. Last time we were out with the YTBN crew we had one night when we had apple crumble and custard for the group, another when I made Greek donuts and another when someone else made dessert. That's a whole lot easier than cooking dinner for a large group.
Adventure before dementia!

boobook
Part of the furniture

Re: How do you organise Convoy cooking for your trips?

Unread post by boobook » April 5th, 2014, 7:52 pm

Hmm some very good pointers there. Thanks.

Return to “Camp Cooking”