View topic - Does anyone Cryovac their food so you don't have to freeze?

Does anyone Cryovac their food so you don't have to freeze?

Here and there

Does anyone Cryovac their food so you don't have to freeze?

Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience with cryovacing food, so you don't have to freeze?

What is the best temp for meat/fish etc when cryovaced? (Would Icy cold beer temp be ok as a guide?)

How long would you expect the food to last at these higher, unfrozen temps.

The reason I want to cryovac stuff is that I have an Engel fridge/freezer 57L Combo, which is awesome, but fairly well chews through the batteries when on 12v and using it as a fridge/freezer (apx 4+ amps/hr).
As expected, it uses heaps less power when running as a dual zone fridge.

Cheers for any help,

Mick

Unread postby mick60 » December 21st, 2012, 8:48 pm

Been here a while

Re: Cryovac

can't say I am expert...I have used my cryovac a few times for longer trips but I still freeze the meat/curries etc as they help keep the fridge colder etc but it isn't a requirment as long as the fridge stays below 3 - 4 degrees all the time.

I have sealed up raw meats, cooked products like curries and rissoles etc and I am told 6 to 8 weeks plus is about the expected life but most trips are 3 to 4 weeks so never had an issue yet. For example I won't take chicken on trips but I am happy to cook up a chicken curry and seal it and take it.

Best time to have it sealed up is as close to the butcher as possible ie the least amount of handling/cutting etc as it reduced bacteria but doing at home after a supermarket trip has been fine so far.

Unread postby AlphaGen » December 21st, 2012, 8:56 pm

Need to get out more

Re: Does anyone Cryovac their food so you don't have to free

G,,day i thought that cryovac , not only created a vacuum but also put some other gas in the bag,
to replace any oxygen,
may be wrong....
i had a butcher do some many years ago.
only stipulation, no bones, not only do they puncture the bag,
but they make the meat go off quicker, was his advice.

talk to your local butcher.
kerry
Mercedes Benz G WAGEN 300GD

Unread postby kerry460 » December 22nd, 2012, 3:26 pm

Need to get out more

What I can't buy vac sealed, I do myself. I also then freeze them and use them as icebricks to keep the rest of the stuff cold.
Great for precooking nice meals like curries, casseroles, etc, then having an instant easy meal when I get there.
The vac seal also gives a much stronger package than the container most meats etc come in straight from the shop, so it's also a better way to ensure the food doesn't end up sitting around in a slop of old icewater and blood from the meats.

Unread postby Ezookiel » December 22nd, 2012, 4:38 pm

Here and there

Hi,

Yep, that's the plan .............vac seal a bit of fresh and pre cooked stuff.
What brand have you got ?
Do you just put the vac stuf in with the other fridge items?

Thanks for the tips and have a great Xmas /Nyears,

Mick

Unread postby mick60 » December 23rd, 2012, 10:11 pm

i used to cryovac all my meat, steaks lasted for weeks ect..... most butchers will do it for you just give them some notice..

my mates a butcher so i used to do all my own....note though sausages can become messy if not set right :D
________________________www.loveday4x4adventures.com________________________
thanks to... APM Radiators.. DRW automatics..Boss Racing Diffs..Sprint Auto Parts.. Bob Jane Marion..Noarlunga refrigeration..J&S Suspension (et4wd)..Heinrich Performance Dyno..

Unread postby toy yoda » December 23rd, 2012, 10:55 pm

I'm new, be nice!

We vacuum seal all of our meals ( up to 6 weeks worth) when touring. So much easier and they pack better as well. You use half the fridge space as they pack tighter
Just a tip with wet dishes like bolenaise sauce or Apricot chicken etc, freeze the portion first and then vac seal it otherwise the juice sucks up into the sealing section and do not seal properly

Best camping assessory for meals IMO

Unread postby Albynsw » December 24th, 2012, 5:55 am

Avid Poster

And the good thing about vac sealing wet dishes is that to cook them you just need to throw them in some hot water. Hey presto, meal's ready.

I use a Freshield vac.

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

Unread postby BennyT50 » December 24th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Admin

Spot on Benny ^^^ and the water's already boiled to make a cuppa too! Or if you prefer your beverages cold, you've got hot water ready to wash the dishes in! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who, at some stage in their life, thought enough about their country, how great it is, and how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for an amount of 'Up to and including my Life!'

Unread postby Peter Aawen » December 24th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Part of the furniture

I Vac seal most things that go in my fridge when I head away on a trip. Stops meat juices pooling in the bottom of the fridge aswell as allowing it to keep for longer. It is also good to vac seal steaks etc in a marinade as it seems to really intensify the flavour when it's cooked.

I also freeze some ready made meals (curries,bolognese etc) then vac seal the portions so you only need to reheat them in a saucepan of water and there's your dinner. You can then use the hot water for your washing up.

I've been using one of these for a couple of years;

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/eurolab-f ... um-sealer/

For less than $100 you can't go wrong.
Cheers,

Nathan

Unread postby Timmo » December 24th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Avid Poster

Can someone tell me why the bags are soooo expensive?

I know they are a special plastic and they have to be food safe, not like your woolies bags, but they are costly and a roll goes in no time.

BennyT50
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

Unread postby BennyT50 » December 24th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Part of the furniture

The best I have seen them for is about $1 per metre on ebay which is pretty reasonable I reckon.

Buying them in pre-cut bags is a rip-off though, you end up wasting a fair bit when you cut off the excess you don't need.
Cheers,

Nathan

Unread postby Timmo » December 24th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Avid Poster

Nathan,

Coulnd't agree more with the marinade of steaks.

2 little tricks I learnt was

1. to roll up a sheet of absorbant paper and place just inside the neck of the bag then seal it. I did find that juices were sometimes sucked up into the seal and not making it airtight. This way, the absorbant towel absorbs the juices and creates a barrier to the marinade.

2. I placed the vac machine on a thick phone book and sealed it that way. The meat is lower then the seal line and the juices don't get sucked up as much.

We have a great curry house where I live and the boss likes their curries (as I do), so we just buy take away, freeze it, then bag it.

I have now gotten to buying fresh meat in bulk at the butchers, then bagging enough for the two of us and putting that in the freezer until we are ready to use it. We get about 8-10 meals out of a full, thick-cut rump. Yummo.

BennyT50

Unread postby BennyT50 » December 24th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Been here a while

toy yoda wrote:i used to cryovac all my meat, steaks lasted for weeks ect..... most butchers will do it for you just give them some notice..

my mates a butcher so i used to do all my own....note though sausages can become messy if not set right :D

sausages and curries etc part freeze them first and they are a breeze to seal

Unread postby AlphaGen » December 24th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Need to get out more

toy yoda wrote:...note though sausages can become messy if not set right :D

Freeze sausages first, and then vac seal them. No problem with them becoming a mess or the contents sucking out of the skins.

EDIT: Ooops. Sorry. Should have read all the replies first. Looks like that just got suggested above ^^^

Unread postby Ezookiel » December 25th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Next

Return to Camp Cooking