Can I cook Pavlova in the camp oven? Anyone done it?

The Missus
Avid Poster

Re: Can I cook Pavlova in the camp oven? Anyone done it?

Unread post by The Missus » January 20th, 2013, 9:41 am

Do you use eggs straight from the fridge or room temp?

I've always let them come to room temp first, then separate and beat because that's what I was taught - to be honest I don't think I've ever used eggs straight from the fridge for meringue/pav.

We might have pav for dessert tonight, we've been away and the kids haven't used the eggs so there are still two trays in the fridge, just waiting to be used. Whites for pav, yolks for lemon butter to go on top with some whipped cream.
Adventure before dementia!

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » January 20th, 2013, 1:12 pm

The lemon butter sounds very yum, must try that! Yeah, the whites beat better at room temp & the fresher the eggs the better they stiffen. We're lucky, we have our own chooks, well for another week or so until they go to their new homes, gonna miss my girls :( We always have a few doz in the cupboard. The older ones to hard boil coz they're easier to peel & the recent ones for pavs & cakes.

I suggested to Wayne that we make up a biggish cage to attach to the back of the camper trailer so we can take along 2 of the girls. Well, I think you guess what the reaction & expletives were!!!! Shame about that. :)
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » January 20th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Ummm...eggs! eggs! eggs in the cupboard, not chooks!!

The Missus
Avid Poster

Unread post by The Missus » January 20th, 2013, 6:23 pm

The cage on the back isn't as quirky as it sounds.

We have friends who live in the city Mon- Fri, then spend the weekends at their farm 6hrs west and they have a cage on the trailer just for the chookens. Linda takes the chooks to the farm and brings them home every week :) They seem to love the travelling, or at least so far they've all survived for a couple of years of trips.

My lemon butter is very easy - microwave easy, so you can make it while the pav is cooking and it will be cool to spread when the pav is done.

3/4 cup castor sugar*
125g butter (real butter please, not margarine)
4 egg yolks
1/2 - 3/4 cup lemon juice (depends how tart you like it)

Method:
In a deep microwave safe jug beat the eggs and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. An electric beater or stick blender makes this easy, but you can use a whisk, it just takes a little longer. Melt the butter and stir into the egg mixture. Blend in the lemon juice. Place the jug into the microwave and cook for two minutes on high. Stir well. Cook a further two minutes and stir again. Cook two more minutes, remove from microwave and stir well. The mixture should be thick but still pourable. Pour into sterilised jars, seal and place in the fridge to cool. Once the mixture cools completely it will set into a nice spread. Keep in the fridge for up to two weeks (if it lasts that long).

Makes great tarts and pie filling too and goes down well on pancakes, toast, English muffins or toasted crumpets.
Adventure before dementia!

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » January 21st, 2013, 9:20 pm

I'm taking down that recipe TM!!

LilMissRuffit
Avid Poster

Unread post by LilMissRuffit » May 12th, 2013, 7:15 pm

How about just one large scone done in camp oven served with jam & cream..
Yummmmmmm
Who's gonna introduce me to all those hidden, natural wonders ?..... 'my trusty 4WD'.

Return to “Camp Cooking”