Anyone got an OzPig?

UnexplainedWays
Been here a while

Re: Anyone got an OzPig?

Unread post by UnexplainedWays » October 21st, 2012, 4:53 pm

RangerPunx wrote:
GBC wrote:I also noted that I had to leave the door cracked just a bit to keep it going. Notenough to turn me off it.
It'll be mainly used for Fraser island and other Nat Parks where they are o.k. to be used in lieu of no fire at all.
Ive been looking at the Ozpig but can somebody confirm 100% that its OK for use on Fraser with the new Complete Fire Bans?

:confused:
Yes but not with a fire. has to be man made fuel like heatbeads. that was according to a ranger on the island at the start of the month.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » October 31st, 2012, 8:53 pm

Take 2..

We just came back from Fraser and we took an OzPig with us.. Used it every night for cooking and atmosphere and did not have a problem.. We got informed it had to be milled wood so I had an old Queen Size bed which it took apart and we burned the frame & slats etc.. Worked a treat..

Since then I have put a bigger flu on it (75mm x 1500mm)and it now draws like a demon... very little smoke even with the door closed.. I do have to put a baffle in it as the chimney does get a tad hot.. good for winters tho as it radiates an enormous amount of heat..

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » November 1st, 2012, 11:07 pm

got a pic of the new set up? interested to see as mine doesn't draw enough

Wastednights
Been here a while

Unread post by Wastednights » November 2nd, 2012, 7:03 pm

oncedisturbed wrote:got a pic of the new set up? interested to see as mine doesn't draw enough
What he said :D

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » November 5th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Makes you wonder why in the hell it's not being sold with the holey door in the first place! At around $350 + extras!
Born again 4WD-er. 08 Navara D40 spain

budgie913
Been here a while

Unread post by budgie913 » April 1st, 2013, 8:43 am

We bought our Pig about 3 years ago.

They aren't cheap but by far it has been the best camping equipment investment we have made.

We also have young kids so its a good way to have a fire/ set up in a specific area and keep the youngsters away.

The other thing we have been happy with is some camp areas and camping parks that won't allow open fires will allow you to use a Oz pig.

It's also amazing how hot they can get and you use less wood than a open fire.

Strongly recommend them if your happy to spend the money, we are stoked with ours.

Budgie
- 120 Series GXL Prado TD;
- Ultimate Camper (XTRK).

sheppo
Here and there

Unread post by sheppo » April 1st, 2013, 10:23 am

Yep they are a good thing, other than a few cliches about drawing. Their best trick tho is to take out your side window when you decide to jump ya 80 over a dune. Otherwise yep get one as a pressy from the Leader of the opposition for ya birthday.
Sheppo :waycool:
Do what you want to do...... Be who you want to be! Go the mighty 80.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » June 2nd, 2013, 6:00 pm

A few pics... I am a hobby welder so please ignore my welding skills... which unfortunately are better then my fiber glassing skills..

The 3" exhaust is 4 bits of about 1' each.. I have got the 'female' end (flanged) going down which when it rains allows the soot to run down the outside of the chimney, looks messy so I might change that one around, apart from that, all good :thumb:

The neighbour found me a 6' length of gas heater flu which surprisingly fits like a glove so that is what I use at home, when camping I take the exhaust bits.

I have got 2 breathers (with caps when needed) down the bottom which just provides enough oxygen to keep a flame or two going with the door shut, I had to move the flu out after the first effort as it was interfering with our biggest frying pan.

For the wood I normally keep an eye out for the throwaway pine pallets etc at my work, I grab them and cut them up in 9" bits which works perfect.. that is what I use for the 'atmosphere' fire. When cooking, I use hardwood off cuts, heatbeads and the compressed wooden logs ALDI were selling for $5 a bag of 8..

If you are used to bonfires, then the pig is not brilliant but you can have a fire going when it is raining, it is easy on the wood (we used about 1/3 cubic meter over 6 nights at Fraser Island) and is great for cooking...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » June 5th, 2013, 8:48 am

Love the pics Barker, what a great job! Wish we had the equipment & time to make one but instead we bought an ozpig because we're in the midst of house packing for our big trip in 9 days, have yet to use it but can't wait to have a play, maybe tonight.

woolgoolgaoffroad
Need to get out more

Unread post by woolgoolgaoffroad » June 5th, 2013, 3:13 pm

Yes I have one

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » July 20th, 2013, 7:42 pm

ok so we've been on the road, camping & using ours for a month now and think it pretty damn good. Got roast chicken n veg cooking in the camp oven on it tonight, magic. It took some getting used to, found it did smoke a bit & the handles on the lids that we are supposed to cook on are a nuisance because the camp oven won't sit flat on it so we're going to have them cut off so the surface is flat. It does produce a fair bit of heat & great to sit around on cold nights. Can recommend Jo Clews' camp oven cooking to go with it, but pretty damn good anyway.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » July 25th, 2013, 7:23 am

I ground one of the plates flat myself as the handles are in the way.. Thanks for the tip on the cookbook, I'll get one :)

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » September 22nd, 2013, 9:31 am

I'm selling mine if anyone is interested. Used a few times bought last June. Trying to make room in the ute and don't really need/use it. Alice Springs.

emjan
Been here a while

Unread post by emjan » September 22nd, 2013, 9:31 am

I'm selling mine if anyone is interested. Used a few times bought last June. Trying to make room in the ute and don't really need/use it. Alice Springs.

John-gong
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by John-gong » October 7th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Hi emjan,
Is the oven still available? if yes, how much do want for it?
Cheers

Return to “Camp Cooking”