Anyone got an OzPig?

GBC
Part of the furniture

Anyone got an OzPig?

Unread post by GBC » September 23rd, 2011, 3:02 pm

I just got back from a camping trip and borrowed a mate's OzPig for the trip. I thought it looked a bit dinky sitting in the bag, so didn't even set it up for the first week.
A need arose (roast pork), so out it came, and bugger me it's a cracker. The fire was going non stop for the last 4 days, it used hardly any fuel and cooked an array of meals I never thought possible on such a small device.
I'm pretty well sold and will look at getting one myself now.

Anyone else have any experience or advice about these little beasties?

tom_1569
Here and there

Re: Anyone got an OzPig?

Unread post by tom_1569 » September 23rd, 2011, 3:08 pm

My missus come home with one a couple of months back, I just shook my head, we have numerous fire pots, and a pit in the yard, we dont need anymore contraptions.

BUT, its not bad, used it a fair bit now, great for over night places where you cant have an open fire, also safe to leave close to the car. Was perfect to have at the end of the awning, whilst pissing down rain, we stayed warm and dry.

The only issue I have is, it has a lot of trouble drawing. It either needs a bigger chimney, or some holes drilled in the bottom, Im not doing either because for the price it should god damn draw properly.

Little wood, and Pine cones work ***** hot in it.

Geoff3DMN
Here and there

Unread post by Geoff3DMN » September 23rd, 2011, 3:50 pm

We've got one, bought it about 3 months ago and we use it every couple of weeks when we go camping with our Van. It works well but the previous poster is correct it doesn't draw as well as it should. You really have to leave the top open a bit and the door open a bit or it smothers too much.

There is an optional front door with holes drilled in it that I'm going to order that looks like it should help but I agree it would be better with a bit larger chimney stack.

Having said that no other wood fire offers the convenience or portability that the OzPig does.

It isn't a perfect wood fire but it's a hell of a lot better than no fire at all and that's when you use it, when you don't have the time or space for a normal fire.

Would we buy one again? Without a doubt but it fills a niche need, it isn't a replacement for an open fire.

kyzooper
Been here a while

Unread post by kyzooper » September 23rd, 2011, 4:47 pm

they sound alright. can someone chuck a pic up id love to see what they look like?
92 HDJ80 Gturbo safari FMI 2" lift ICON 2.5 piggyback shocks, 3"XFORCE exhaust. GONE
97 HDJ80 40th Anniversary.

Good, Better, Best.
Never let it Rest
Til your good is better,
And your better, Best!

Geoff3DMN
Here and there

Unread post by Geoff3DMN » September 23rd, 2011, 8:51 pm

Have a look here, there are photos and videos.

http://www.ozpig.com.au/

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » September 23rd, 2011, 9:07 pm

I also noted that I had to leave the door cracked just a bit to keep it going. Notenough to turn me off it.
It'll be mainly used for Fraser island and other Nat Parks where they are o.k. to be used in lieu of no fire at all.

YBE-10W
Avid Poster

Unread post by YBE-10W » September 23rd, 2011, 10:07 pm

its advertised in the new mag and im fascinated? by it, but ive got a big truck brake drum heater at home so now wanna make a smaller version with car brake drums so its nice and portable

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » September 24th, 2011, 12:13 am

there's a few thread on here on making one yourself out of old 9kg gas bottles, save yourself some coin and make it

Geoff3DMN
Here and there

Unread post by Geoff3DMN » September 24th, 2011, 8:13 am

The downside of the ones made out of 9Kg gas bottles is that the metal is thicker (gas bottles are pressure vessels after all and they need to be thick).

That means the home made ones are quite a bit heavier which means they aren't an easy one handed, all in one bag easy carry which is a big part of the appeal of the OzPig.

RangerPunx
Been here a while

Unread post by RangerPunx » September 25th, 2011, 2:28 pm

GBC wrote:I also noted that I had to leave the door cracked just a bit to keep it going. Notenough to turn me off it.
It'll be mainly used for Fraser island and other Nat Parks where they are o.k. to be used in lieu of no fire at all.
Ive been looking at the Ozpig but can somebody confirm 100% that its OK for use on Fraser with the new Complete Fire Bans?

:confused:

NOZ69R
Here and there

Unread post by NOZ69R » October 29th, 2011, 8:35 am

I'll second/third the comments about it needing more holes or bigger chimney to draw more air.

But other than that we love ours, use it all the time camping and at home. I was hesitant about the price but I managed to swindle one as a present when I left my previous employer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bungie
Avid Poster

Unread post by bungie » October 29th, 2011, 12:26 pm

picked up one last week at the brisbane mini camping show. only problem is the posts on the plats are not true square and jam the hot plate to the main body as it gets hot , needs some TLC with a FBH.

but cooking on it is great, done the basic steaks. then have done two cook ups in the camp oven. chicken hot pot, and a pork curry. both very nice :)
short term satellite phone rental
http://iridium-satellite-phone-rental.com

RangerPunx
Been here a while

Unread post by RangerPunx » October 30th, 2011, 2:04 pm

The missus got me one at a show up on the coast a couple of weeks ago so had it set up on the deck experimenting with it. It does need to draw more air but im thinking up a way to get some extra holes in it.
With a fire it gets plenty hot enough for cooking but I dont think the heatbeads in the accessory basket really work. They are fine with a stainless pan, but a heavy plate like the ones provided just dont get hot enough. Again I think its because theres not enough air once the basket is sunk into the top opening.
Also agree my hotplates legs are on the piss and need massaging to true them up so the plates swing smoothly.
On the whole Im happy with it and cant wait to get it out on the road.

ranger2452
Need to get out more

Unread post by ranger2452 » October 31st, 2011, 5:39 pm

i was talking to finance dave on the forum run he said he had his over at fraser and the ranger said it was ok if you put holes in it i dont think it will be
W.A .......whingers anonymous
Coffs harbour.....4wd capital of the WORLD
Ranger2452 aka rebadgedmazda2452

bungie
Avid Poster

Unread post by bungie » October 31st, 2011, 6:12 pm

I may be miss reading a couple of posts, but you need to have the door open for the pig to be able to draw air in and have the timber burn. They sell a door for it now with holes in it to be able to keep door closed but let air in for the draw.
If the standard door is closed then the fire goes out, no air and you are missing one of the three elements needed for fire.
short term satellite phone rental
http://iridium-satellite-phone-rental.com

Return to “Camp Cooking”