Ridiculously Easy Meals (REM)

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Ridiculously Easy Meals (REM)

Unread post by Ezookiel » May 17th, 2011, 9:09 pm

I've run this past Brendan as it is likely to end up breaking the one recipe per thread rule, and he has given his ok for this thread to have meal ideas added to it, but has suggested that it would be great if people add a "Ridiculously Easy Meal" to the thread, it would be great if the recipe part could be done in bold to make them easier to sort from any general chat.
The theory behind this thread was to put up meals that are so ridiculously easy that they really don't have a recipe, but are tasty and brilliant for that night when you're too stuffed after a day on the tracks, or arrived at camp late after work on Friday arvo and can't be bothered doing anything fancy. REM is Ridiculously Easy Meals.
I'll start it off with two of my favourites.

REM - Sausage Neapolitana.
Fry up your sausages with some garlic infused olive oil and some McCormicks Bush spice.
Cut them into small pieces, and pour in a jar of Leggos Napolitana Pasta Sauce. Add frozen veggies if you wish, and simmer till veggies are cooked, or till the sauce isn't too runny.

That's it. As you can see - recipes like these are so short and simple they barely need a couple of lines, let alone a whole thread of their own.
I've served this on it's own, I've served it on mashed potato, and I've served it with a packet mix of bacon carbonara and packet mix of flavoured rice as a side dish to it. But for a really easy meal just on it's own is fine.

REM - Coronary Casserole.
Grab a BBQ chook. Strip off all the meat. Throw the meat into a casserole dish, add 3/4 a bottle of cream, and 1 small carton of sour cream, 1 can of Cream of Chicken (or Cream of Mushroom) soup, A sachet of French onion soup, frozen veggies, stir it all together, and heat until veggies are cooked. You can also add curry powder to taste, to make this a quick easy curried chicken

(with this much cream in it, it's an instant blocked artery, hence the name 'coronary casserole').

Please add any other Ridiculously Easy Meals that you know of. The kind of meal that the whole recipe is just a couple of lines, the preparation is piss easy, and the ingredient need beggar all preparation. The kind of meal that is cooking in just a few minutes so you can "feel the serenity" that you went camping to find, rather than have to cook up a storm.

james_s89
Here and there

Re: Ridiculously Easy Meals (REM)

Unread post by james_s89 » June 4th, 2011, 8:17 pm

'Kind of' Chile Con Carne

- Diced chicken breast or beef mince
- 'Reduced salt' corn chip salsa (whatever heat you like)
- 'Reduced salt' baked beans in tomato sauce.
- Extra seasoning/heat etc.

Cook the chicken or beef mince in a fry pan. Once it's cooked add the salsa and baked beans and heat. Give it a taste and add any extras you want to give it your desired taste (eg. diced capsicum, jalapenos, chilli sauce, salt, pepper etc).

I use reduced salt products because the first time I made it with normal salsa/baked beans it was far too salty. I now just add extra salt if it's needed.

Serve with rice or if you're really feeling lazy use cous cous!

Mud Salami
Been here a while

Unread post by Mud Salami » June 11th, 2011, 9:48 am

Ezookiel,

Mate, was late home from work last night, so decided to try your recipe for 'coronary casserole'...
All I can say is that is freakin awesome!! I think I put a little too much cream but it turned out absolutely great.

Thanks mate - from the bottom of mine and my families full bellies!!

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » June 13th, 2011, 8:18 pm

LOL.
Glad you liked it. It's a bit TOO damned good that one, it's the kind of meal that, even after you've eaten sufficient to cover a week's calorie intake, you keep going back for seconds and thirds till you've taken in a about a month's worth of calories.

Mud Salami
Been here a while

Unread post by Mud Salami » June 20th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Hahah! So true! Then, all that's left is to hibernate for the winter!

pudge01
Here and there

Unread post by pudge01 » August 16th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Have another one for you that I tried up here at Binna Burra last night. Take 500g of extra lean Beef mince and fry with chopped onion till browned. Stir though a bottle of Doritos Hot tomato Salsa. Cook for another couple of minutes and then enjoy, great on its own but equally edible with freshly cooked rice

Suek
Been here a while

Unread post by Suek » November 13th, 2012, 12:26 am

It's an old thread but what the heck..

REM - Cheesy Steak Bake

Brown some crumbed steak (buy it pre crumbed if you can to make it even quicker), layer steak in a casserole dish (or camp oven) with chopped onion (lots of it) and grated cheese. Pour over enough Hienz BIG RED tomato soup (get the Heinz one, the others just don't seem to make this dish taste as good) to cover meat, onion and cheese.. Put it in the oven at 180 degrees (or on the coals) for about an hour.. Meat just melts in your mouth and I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't liked this simple dish.. :)

edz
Need to get out more

Unread post by edz » November 14th, 2012, 6:16 am

with you on the Heinz tomato soup ( Condensed type ) being used in meals Suek, just got to be careful you dont get the spicey one by mistake like I did, family were not happy . :D
" WE GO WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT "
" WHAT WE HAV'NT WE GO WITH OUT "

Suek
Been here a while

Unread post by Suek » November 14th, 2012, 10:48 pm

Yup.. gotta be Heinz or it just doesn't taste the same.. I've done the same thing with the spicey one by mistake too.. not happy lol..

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » November 15th, 2012, 2:38 am

While on the Heinz Tomato soup I have another very simple but tasty meal or something that could fall into the category or slop :-)

Troopiepete's corn chip slop!

You start with a packet of corn chips - I like the plain old no flavor type but each there own here it could be any type!
Place the entire packet in a saucepan or dish, add in the Tomato soup and maybe a little water depending on the constancy you need, also add one container of corn chip salsa and heat until almost boiling.
The consistency should be similar to a soup type mush, but if too dry for you add water to suit.
Serve it into bowls and sprinkle grated cheese over the top - the type of cheese is up to you - mozzarella is nice but can be a bit rubbery when it melts but is very yum.

Best eaten hot and also it's a good idea to plan a complete day of running climbing and all sorts of activity to burn off the kilos you will be adding when you go in for the 2nd and 3rd helping :-)

** If you like the corn chips in a more solid state heat up the tomato soup and salsa first then add the chips, stir in for a short while before serving.. it all depends on your likes :lol:
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

ph3ar
Been here a while

Unread post by ph3ar » January 18th, 2013, 3:59 pm

pour a tin of baked beans, cut up some left over sausages or cook some, dice some bacon, add some garlic, diced onion, chilli, salt/pepper into a pot, cook it all up, done.

Missy

Unread post by Missy » January 18th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Bacon and Zucchini Carbonara

Dice 3 zucchinis and a packet of bacon into small chunks. Dice one onion, and brown the onion, bacon and zucchini in a frypan with some butter and garlic (and salt and pepper!)

While the bacon is cooking, boil up some spaghetti. One the spaghetti is cooked, toss it into the frypan with the bacon, zucchini and onion with 600mL thickened cream. Cook for 5 minutes, add parmesan on top- awesome yet simple!

drew_mo
Here and there

Unread post by drew_mo » January 19th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Our quick one pot meal for when we can't be bothered.

EggyVegieNoodles

3 or 4 packs of Maggi type noodles. (1 per person plus 1 for the pot)
Break each cake into quarters, (marginally less messy for the kids :) )
Throw into pot of water, not necessarily boiling, add one or two of the flavor sachets( I never use them all- too salty)
Add a good handful of frozen cheap veg for each person.
Heat till vegies and noodles soften and are just on the boil- doesn't take long if you don't use an excessive amount of water.
Drain but keep in pot, then crack and stir through a couple of eggs- the heat remaining in the noodle veg cooks the eggs quickly.

Serve and eat. Soy sauce goes well over the top.

My kids swear by it.

I actually use the left over beef or chicken flavor sachets when I cook spuds or chips- scatter over and bake- tastes great.
.....but my Garmin Nuvi said........

Ezookiel
Need to get out more

Unread post by Ezookiel » January 21st, 2013, 10:40 pm

Started this thread almost two years ago, and got hardly any response, and now in a week we've had heaps. Go figure?
Well, keep up the Ridiculously Easy Meals guys and gals, I've already got some of them planned for my next trip. And do try the coronary casserole in the first post, it truly is amazing!!

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » January 22nd, 2013, 2:06 am

Gnocchi Bog

1 (or more if reqd) pack Gnocchi
1 - 2 cans pre-made bog sauce of choice
Tin vegies as required
herbs

heat and eat and washed down with rum

Return to “Camp Cooking”