Favourite camp oven dish?

Wa 489
Been here a while

Re: Favourite camp oven dish?

Unread post by Wa 489 » March 27th, 2013, 8:46 pm

I am partial to a roast myself,but i do like a Pizza in a camp oven.The smoke flavour is really nice and with coals uderneath and on top it's cook up a treat....
Come in second would have to be a stew.I don't drink wine at all but i do include a bottle of red when i throw in the vegies.

budgie913
Been here a while

Unread post by budgie913 » March 30th, 2013, 11:13 pm

The big hit in our family (4 kids) is my beer Damper (self raising flour, sugar, salt and a can of beer).

Cut when it's hot, butter and golden syrup.

The kids are always bugging me for it when we go out bush.
- 120 Series GXL Prado TD;
- Ultimate Camper (XTRK).

nao
Avid Poster

Unread post by nao » March 31st, 2013, 12:07 am

roast n pizza in the webber...yuuummmmmMMM

buffer
Avid Poster

Unread post by buffer » April 1st, 2013, 7:20 pm

Lamb shanks cooked til dropping off bone then topped with tomato and onion heated through togrther. Absolutely superb.
100 series 4.2TD, 2" lift, ARB twin lockers, Safari snorkel, ARB winch bar with brushbars and sidesteps, 12000lb winch, supernova driving lights and custom made aluminium rack with awning, ARB dual rear bar, dual batteries, Airbag assists rear.

jimmy66
Been here a while

Unread post by jimmy66 » July 28th, 2013, 11:15 pm

coke cola lamb shanks slow cooked in the camp oven just ask the young bloke hes always at me for them even at home

Odinn
Been here a while

Unread post by Odinn » October 25th, 2014, 8:57 am

rogan josh cooks up real nice in the camp oven, I generally like to slowcook it for 5 plus hours always making sure there is plenty of fluid in it and then 30 or so minutes before I want to eat I add some rice to soak up the fluid, the meat tends to break down after the 5 hour mark and it melts in your mouth.

Robb

bosvarkie88
Getting to know the place

Unread post by bosvarkie88 » October 30th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Mine would have to be cream chicken and veg stew or potjie as they call it in South Africa (pronounced poi-key).
In SA it is a religious belief to cook in and on cast iron.
This recipe has grown so popular with my mates that I am forced to keep the 12qrt in the back of my ute. Even had to do make this for a friends housewarming in a steel drum filled with charcoal.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » October 31st, 2014, 8:29 am

bosvarkie88 wrote:Mine would have to be cream chicken and veg stew or potjie as they call it in South Africa (pronounced poi-key).
In SA it is a religious belief to cook in and on cast iron.
This recipe has grown so popular with my mates that I am forced to keep the 12qrt in the back of my ute. Even had to do make this for a friends housewarming in a steel drum filled with charcoal.
Please feel free to post recipe, sounds very nice, might give it a go :)

bosvarkie88
Getting to know the place

Unread post by bosvarkie88 » October 31st, 2014, 9:34 pm

6-8 chicken thighs
250g diced bacon
500g corn kernels
500g sliced carrots
300g sliced mushrooms
4 medium onions, sliced
12 baby potatoes, skin on
10 button (pickling) onions
100ml water
15ml Worcester sauce
60ml fine apricot jam
250ml milk
250ml fresh cream
1 packet of white onion soup powder
1 packet of oxtail soup powder. (if you have difficulties finding this, the SA shop should have it)
Flavour enhancer (Aromat- available in South African shops)
Barbecue spice (any kind you like)
a little oil to start with

Sprinkle the chicken thighs with barbecue spice to taste.
Start the pot on a high heat with the little bit of oil. Fry the bacon for about 5 min. (no lid)
Next, throw in the sliced onions and apricot jam and fry for another 5 min. (no lid)
Place the chicken thighs in the pot, add the worcester sauce and water. Place the lid on the pot and leave for 15 min. Scrape some coals away to get a moderate heat. The water should have a slow boil. This heat should remain like this for the rest of the cooking process.
Next, add your baby potatoes and button onions and place the lid back on. Leave for another 10 min.
Time to add the rest of the veggies, corn, carrots and mushrooms and lightly season with the flavour enhancer. Place the lid back on and leave for 15 min.
While this is going, make up the sauce. Mix the 2 packets of different soup powders with the cream and milk. If you plan to use a blender DO NOT leave it for too long as you'll end up with a paste.
After the 15 min. pour in the sauce, put the lid back on and let it stew for 30 min.
ENJOY!!!

Let us know how you went and what you think of it.
Cheers

Cape Runner
Here and there

Unread post by Cape Runner » February 8th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Last trip out west I done a good sized chook in the campoven, bit of salt and pepper to season and stuffed the under side of the skin with salsa dip and a few spoon fulls inside the chook. Added vegetables in after 30mins and came out an absolute treat... can't beat a good camp oven roast of any kind

Return to “Camp Cooking”