12v stove/ovens

unko
Been here a while

12v stove/ovens

Unread post by unko » April 6th, 2011, 2:41 pm

I like the idea of them. Did a quick google and found them on Dicksmith at a cost of $40 inc shipping. (there called 12v stoves at the DS)
some plp have posted it take 1 hr to cook 4 frozzen pies. just have to swap them over (like top pies go to the bottom and the bottom pies go on top).

Features:

Portable 12V In-Car Stove.
Enjoy a hot delicious meal in your vehicle any time.
Plugs directly into your car cigarette lighter socket.
Insulated design keeps food warm while the outside stays cool.
Cook and warm food up to 148*C.
Unplug and take with you wherever you go!
Stays hot for hours even after it's unplugged.
Keeps food warm on long trips.
Great for camping, picnics, festivals , roadtrips and more.
Convenient carry handle.
Dimensions: 26 x 16 x 20cm.

Some of the sugested meals

pies sussage rolls and the rest of the pie family
Steamed Dimsims
Roast Vegies in a Alum foil tray
sugared donuts

Any more good ideas fo meals???

hears a link
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/M4515/d ... able-stove

Timmo
Need to get out more

Re: 12v stove/ovens

Unread post by Timmo » April 6th, 2011, 6:25 pm

I had one exactly the same and chucked it out.Got it with the intention of having hot meals for smoko whilst at work.

They chew enormous amounts of power so you'd want to have your car running whilst using it.I also found that it took forever to cook/heat anything and it was a very fine art to get it to work without burning the bottom part of the meal whilst the top stayed cold when using foil trays (the heating element is in the bottom part,the top hardly heats up at all).

Personally,knowing what I know now I wouldn't waste my money.
Cheers,

Nathan

CRUIZER
Here and there

Unread post by CRUIZER » April 6th, 2011, 6:58 pm

timmo
there a great little thing if ya want to have a couple of pies or sausage rolls when ya pull up after drivin around. will heat two frozen pies in an hour found it best to turn them over after half an hour, pies on top of each other dont work they need to touch the bottom where the element is. ive got one but not a dicksmith but it looks exactly the same

CRUIZER
Here and there

Unread post by CRUIZER » April 6th, 2011, 7:00 pm

dim sims too

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » April 9th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Ha Ha

I have a great story with these.

A group of 5 guys were camping on the King River in Vic, and for a day trip we went to Craigs hut. It was wet and bloody freezing, and had I loaded up my new Dick Smith oven with 4 pies before we set off.

I went to the back of my landcruiser and asked one of the 4 others if he wanted a pie and sauce. He laughed at me and said nah thanks. So I handed out 3 pies to the other 3 guys.

2 minutes later we are all chomping into hot pies and my mate came up in disbelief watching 4 guys eating steaming pies. "Where's mine" he asked. Sorry Brian, none left. I did ask you first though, and you said you didn't want one.

"I thought you must have had cold pies"

A great moment. We really enjoyed that pie.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » April 9th, 2011, 7:40 pm

Bolt a metal box to the exhaust manifold or wrap in foil and stick it under the bonnet. Heat for free :thumb:

http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car%27s-Engine

Marauder
Here and there

Unread post by Marauder » April 17th, 2011, 5:23 pm

unko. I dont know if you have got one of these yet or not , so i will tell you what i know of them.
I was driving interstate and at the time was always thinking of how to save money on the road (truck stop food is expensive and not always good.)
It was not every night that i was near a truck stop, so i used to make meals up for the week and freeze them in the foil containers you get at woolworths. I have had roast lamb, curried mince,marinated steak and rissoles all with vegies just to mention a few. it was also good to heat some water in the morning for coffee, or hot dogs for lunch.
Yes it does take some time to heat but worked for me. paid for itself in two days.
P.s i still use it locally for hot lunches.

Cheers Matt

BigMike65
Been here a while

Unread post by BigMike65 » May 2nd, 2011, 2:24 pm

I was given a 12v fridge (looked like a real one but down-sized),bloody thing drained the battery within an hour

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » June 22nd, 2011, 6:26 pm

Heating stuff with 12 volt power is a very very limited idea.

To heat anything quickly you nee very large amounts of energy, and 12 volts simply cant deliver it.

If you can put up with a warming time measured in hours and you are happy to keep your motor running..fine.

But 12 volts simply cant compete with burning something.

As mentioned before..there is heaps of waste heat under the bonnet...tinned meat dishes like plumrose frankfurts, brased steak and onions and the like heat up very well on the manafold...15 to 20 minutes moderate driving...just dont overdo it .....brased steak and onions all over you motor will stink for weeks.

ya just have to find the right places on your motor.....

cheers

madcow
Been here a while

Unread post by madcow » July 5th, 2011, 9:24 am

Have a look at the Travel Buddy oven, Made in Bendigo and only pulls 6 amps at 180 degC . I've seen them in action and will definitely buy one. We used one in a mates car to reheat lasagne, pies, sausage rolls etc

http://www.travelbuddy.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And no I'm not affiliated with them. I reckon they are a well made and LOCAL product.

pudge01
Here and there

Unread post by pudge01 » August 13th, 2011, 5:07 am

I have one of these ovens from Dick Smith and am quite happy with it. I am a Traffic Controller and at sites where I am close to my ute and can leave it running, I have had piping hot food such as a small Lasange and even a small chicken roast roll. Much to the dismay of my counterparts who are "choking down" cold food on a very cold night shift

whizzo
Need to get out more

Unread post by whizzo » August 13th, 2011, 11:02 am

One thing that concerns me with these ovens is how long they may take to heat up.

From a food safety point of view it is important to achieve the target temperature pretty pronptly, so the food does not spend too much time in that luke warm danger zone.

The issue will vary with different foods and at differing temperatures they start from..

A reasonably fresh non frozen meat pie or sausage roll would probaly be low risk, but I would be sus of a frozen chicken anything.

They'd probaly be pretyy good for finishing off pre-baked dinner rolls or reheating garlic bread.

cheers

unko
Been here a while

Unread post by unko » August 27th, 2011, 2:16 pm

2 big meat pies take me 1 hr to cook and 5 minutes to eat :0
btw i only use when engine is running

pudge01
Here and there

Unread post by pudge01 » January 6th, 2012, 1:43 pm

On the subject of these stove/ovens from Dick Smith, I have one and the easiest way I have found to make the heat circulate all around what I am cooking is to cut two pieces of 16mm box tubing the length of the oven bottom and allow the foil tray with the food in to rest on that. That way the bottom of the tray isnt on the bottom of the oven and the heat goes all round the tray

Foo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Foo » January 7th, 2012, 5:04 pm

I've been using one of these jobbies since I've been away in the truck this last two weeks and think they're great! :cool:

Just drop your meal into it half to three quarters of an hour before I stop and dig in. Also saved me $150 in meal costs. ;)

Foo

Return to “Camp Cooking”